• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How could this happen to me?

Hi everyone. My name is Christina. I have actually been reading the posts on here for a couple of weeks, but didn't register till today.

You guys are all great! So nice to hear of other people with similar experiences. So, here's a little about me since I feel like I know a little about many of you.

At the end of January is when I began to feel odd things with my stomach. Really I just thought I was exhausted and needed a vacation from work. So, I took some time off. I felt a little better, but when I went back things started up again. At first felt like acid then heartburn, then turned into full on cramping. I hated doctors so I avoided calling mine at all costs. Besides I have never been sick or broken a bone or anything so I figured it would go away. I mean I don't even get the flu when everyone else does! Anyway, it got so bad (the cramping) I finally called. They put me on the BRAT diet. The worst ever! I don't think I want another banana or applesauce ever again! I felt better, but then a month or so later here come the cramps again.

This time I only waited 2 weeks to call the doctor, much better than the month I waited before! He had me do a CT scan and put me on prozac for anxiety. I had broken down crying in his office...at that point I was so depressed and in pain I just couldn't get myself together. The CT showed inflammation so then I was onto a colonoscopy. After the colo the GI said he thought I had Crohn's and put me on Asacol right away. 2 weeks later I went for my GI consult and they ordered a ton more blood, stool, and urine tests and an upper GI...yuk!

My husband and I don't understand why when you have tummy issues you are made to drink all these horrible concoctions! What is the deal with that!

So, here I am I guess with Crohn's forever. Kinda a lot to take in. I had gone from 117 to 86 lbs in the course of a few months. I felt and looked like I was starving to death!

No one seems to get that there is something wrong with you. They just think you have a tummy ache...little do they know you are sick inside and it can be quite painful! The worst was while standing at the copier and girl came up and said "you are too thin, you need to eat more." I hardly knew her but instantly wanted to hit her. I just told her "I am having health issues" and turned away. Those are the comments that make me not want to go out in public when I am this thin. I feel like everyone just thinks I am anorexic and I am not! They don't understand what it is like when your body is attacking itself!

Just wanted to introduce myself and tell you all you have made my life so much better by just knowing that I am not alone. You really need the extra support and understanding when you have this disease and I thank you all for that.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Teeny - welcome!
Isn't it crazy what people will say to you? I do hope that you've been able to put some weight back on. (I can say that, cuz I know what we're going through - but the girl at the copier can't. Ha.)
I went from 140 down to 96 not too long ago, so I know how you feel. Strangely, I had a girl in my hallway at work was crash dieting at the same time I looked so bad. She would comment on how GOOD I looked, when in reality I looked like death. She went overboard so I eventually told her that her sunken in face looked just as bad as mine did. I think she was happy about that. Ick.
I too have started bawling in the dr office. I think it makes them see just how bad off you are. I swear my doctor gave me better treatment once he realized how upset I was.
So are you taking anything now? Are you feeling any better? Let us know, and again - welcome!

I have been feeling better the last few days. I have put on some weight, but not a whole lot. I do look better though. For a while I was so pale and just flat out tired! I generally don't let people's comments bother me, but I just could not understand how that girl had the nerve to say that to me. People amaze me. I have never looked at my body in such a different way since this disease. People do so many crazy diets to be thin and it must wreak havoc on their bodies. I have vowed to not take eating for granted ever again! It is so different when you want to eat and you just can't.

I am still on prozac and asacol. My GI has me drinking 3 Ensure plus drinks a day. This I think has totally helped with energy and being able to put on weight. I don't go back to him for a couple of weeks. All in all I think my stage of the disease is rather mild, but never the less still a shock and hard to deal with at times.

I totally believe in being totally open with your doctors. I tell them EVERYTHING. I mean you might think it is something minor, but it might be an important clue for them. You just never know. Thank goodness I have had nothing but great doctors and a truly supportive husband!