• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mixing with anti deps

Hi,

Had depression for years now but building up to an intelerable level the last 6 months and need to finally go to GP about it (hate the idea of being mistaken for one of the 'little sad so need some pills' brigade)!

My question ... Is there any point going to my GP as I am just starting an increased dosage of Methotrexate and heard one cannot mix it with anything? Is this true?

Thanks
D

Hi
There are some drugs that you cant take with methotrexatw but I am on an antidepressant and it is fine the doctor will let you know what you can't take with it. The only drug I can think of at the moment that you can't mix is aspirin I know there are more but can't think of them, the list should come with your medication.
I was like you as well I hated the thought of going onto an antidepressant I thought I was failing by doing it, now I realise it's the best thing I have done and I can now be me again.

I haven't found any antidepressants that react with methotrexate. I'm on citalopram and don't have a problem. Always best to speak to your pharmacist, they tend to know more about drugs and their interractions.