Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Undiagnosed Club » What blood tests to look for CD

04-25-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
anyone

What blood tests to look for CD

Hey, I'm wondering what blood tests I can have my doctor take to look for CD. I have an appointment on Thursday and I want to make the most of it. He is just going to refer me to another Gastro doctor that could take weeks before I have my initial appointment, not to mention any actual tests or treatment.
04-25-2012, 01:17 AM   #2
Rebecca85

Full Blood Count is always a good starting point- anything unusual in either red or white blood cells can be a clue as to what is going off the in the body.

ESR and CRP are measures of inflammation in the body.

Vitamin levels- in particular iron, folate and b12- because chronic illness can play havoc with these. In particular b12 is telling because it's rare for a healthy person to be deficient.

Unfortunately these blood tests are non specific- they will tell the doctor that something is physically wrong (so not IBS) but doesn't tell the doctor what.

There is a blood test specifically for IBD- the Prometheus IBD serology- but it doesn't have a great accuracy rate (around 90%). So if you're one of the unlucky ones who get a false negative it can make things even more difficult for you!

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
04-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
anyone

Hey, thank you. I'm going to see my doctor tomorrow and I will see if he can run some of these tests.
05-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #4
Dazzafarr

My Support Groups:
IGG and IGA blood tests are a good indication

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Undiagnosed Club » What blood tests to look for CD