• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all!

hello all!

Hello, my name is Jessica and i am a medical admin. student at University of Phoenix. I am the mother of one boy and I work at a local farm to table restaurant. I was diagnosed with crohns disease about 5years ago and have been actively researching as much as I can about the disease. I have recently started an organic diet/ gmo-free diet, and ended my medication for crohns. I signed up here to respectfully learn more about others who suffer the disease, since many have different triggers that can cause flares. In my endless internet digging I have uncovered things about crohns that I never knew, my ultimate goal is to unravel the mysteries behind why there is no cure with all the millions of dollars that are given to research. But like I say, I am here to encourage those that suffer this, because I have been through the ups and downs of this disease, and it is very challenging.
Much love, I look forward to speaking with you all!!

KWalker

Welcome! If I have the correct interpretation of a "farm to table" restaurant than that would be really good to find somewhere like that.

:)

Awsome, thanx for the response! The restaurant is called Community Plate it is in McMinnville Oregon, if you are nearby? We only serve foods from local farms, you may also find it on Facebook too. Also thank you for letting me know about your meds you have taken. The only ones I had to take were azathioprine and prednisone, I know the affects on the body with those :( Can I ask how your crohns subsided, or maybe went into remission? Thanx again for the info!!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jessica and welcome to the forum :)

While I can understand your desire to go off medications, please be careful. Are you doing it under the supervision of a doctor so they can at least monitor you to make sure there isn't any smoldering inflammation or other issues cropping up?

We're glad to have you here.

Hi!

Hi David,
Thank you for the welcome! No my doctor would have advised against me going off my meds, but that is ok he is not a doctor of gastroenterology. I was close to game-over twice from either my crohn's or the meds they put me on, and I felt myself slipping into the same situation again about a month ago... I decided I was not going to check in to the hospital again, so I did something drastic. I eliminated all the chemicals from my diet. I was aware there might be flaring in my future without the meds, but I had flares while on the meds, so I figured what the heck. And since I have been feeling more motivated lately I have been researching the chemicals in food additives.... what I found blew my mind, and scared me enough I will never go back to how I used to eat.

Hello Jessica,

I gave up medication for over 10 years (having had a bad time during the 1990's) - threw myself into keeping fit and healthy living (apart from the cigars), plenty of fresh veg juice in the diet and had absolutely no symptoms (total of 13 years). There is a but of course - really bad flare-up in March, that caused a sepsis, with 10 days in hospital. In hindsight would that have happened with medication - almost certainly not. Going forward I am still keen to stop medication but perhaps with some kind of half way house approach.

All the best

David

Co-Founder
Hi Jessica,

I agree that removing the non-natural aspects of our diet is a wonderful idea and something I'm striving to do as well. In fact, I'm trying to grow most of my own food :) I just want to make sure you're also making sure that nothing slowly creeps up on you.

Other than going organic, what's your game plan?