• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Not real sure where I stand!

I've had bowel problems for a long time. I recently found a new GI who took me seriously and had several tests, including a colonoscopy. I saw his physicians assistant after the colonoscopy and she said I have microscopic colitis and started me on entocort, which did nothing after several weeks. A phone call later and lialda was started, this was about 2 weeks ago. I saw the doctor today and he says the biopsy did not show microscopic colitis, it showed colitis. He didn't see any ulcers or anything during the colonoscopy, though. Is it possible to have colitis with only a positive biopsy ( and only the rectum biopsy was positive) and have no visible problems?

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Jackie,
Sorry to hear of your pain and confusion regarding the results of your colonoscopy.
Colitis is a general term for inflammation of the colon.
The biopsy usually defines the type of inflammation and the colitis may be classified accordingly.
It may take time and more tests to see the cause of your colitis.,and give it a name.
Did you ask the GI why his assistant gave you a different specific diagnosis?
Perhaps you could talk to your family physician for help with understanding the diagnosis and what the future holds for you regarding treatment.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

She noted that there were no ulcers or lesions seen during the colonoscopy so she said microscopic. Apparently that's the most common type to present with no visual findings. I didn't think to ask what type, and he wasn't specific. I'm adding it to my list of questions for my next appointment. Today's list was pretty much just medication related!