• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Suprep?

Has anyone ever taken the Suprep Bowel prep kit, prior to Colonoscopy. Ive never heard of this one & ive had CD for 20 yrs & i`ve always had a really, really difficult time drinking any of the preps. Any advise? :yfaint:

I used Suprep with my first colonoscopy this past fall. I don't have anything to compare it to, but I think it was fine. The taste sure wasn't great, but it was manageable enough. I drank mine once at night and then once in the morning I think? Or maybe it was twice in the afternoon/evening? With three kids to take care of, my brain gets a little foggy on the details! :) But anyhow, I thought it was fine. I never gagged or felt like it would come back up. It was, however, very noticeable when it began to work. I was in the bathroom at least every 10 minutes for a 2 hours or so and then it would die down. By the end of the second dose, the liquid coming out during a bathroom trip was clear, so I assume it did its job.

So, although I've not had a TON of experience with different kinds of prep, that's my 2 cents. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never used it but I envy you in that its only 6 ounces you have to mix with another liquid. Sounds like a "chug it and be done with it" sort of deal. With all prep be sure to drink plenty of fluids (clear and no red or purple) and a good rule a thumb to know is that once you're running clear (BMs look like the prep) you're clear. Have fun! :p

Kendra,
I've used it for my last two bowel preps. In my opinion, it is by far the easiest one of the three different preps I've used. I use Crabby's chug approach - mix the solution with on large cup of water (I forget the exact number of ounces), chug it, grimace :), then chug another glass of plain water. You then have to drink another large cup of water or two over a certain amount of time. About 12 hours later, you do it again. It's not an inordinate amount of water, and the bad taste only lasts for a couple of minutes. With Suprep, you spend more time pooping and less time drinking. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I have to do the split-dose. One bottle tonight at 6pm & then again & least 1hr b4 Scope.They are supposed to call me today with what time i go in tomorrow. Thats new to me, because all of my other Scopes had a scheduled time. Just odd because the other bottle of prep is to be taken at least 1 hr b4 colonoscopy? Never done it that way before. Just hate the idea of laying there waiting!