• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Horrible smelling poop

nogutsnoglory

My BM's are seriously foul even when I use a fan or half a bottle of air fresher the entire nearby area will stink. It's really gross and embarrassing not sure why it's happening or what to do?

Is bad smell a sign something is very wrong? Am I eating something bad?

If its diarrhea then usually a sign that its passing through you quickly & that does smell bad, I find that after you've cleaned up some thick bleach around the bowl does the job well, presumably it kills the bugs leftover that cause the smell.
Rgds
Grant

I found a product that helps with getting rid of the smell. I know it doesn't solve the problem, but I always find it a little embarassing if you're at someone elses house or you're sharing a bathroom.

It's called loo-pourri. It's quite expensive but I find it more effective than normal airfresheners. You spray it into the toilet before you go and it creates a film of natural oils over the water so that when you go, the bad smells can't come back out. Doesn't cover all the smell, but as I say, a lot better than regular sprays.