Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Yet another fatigue whine

07-31-2008, 05:25 AM   #1
Colt

Yet another fatigue whine

I work nights and I'm always staying up during different parts of the day to do things with my family. So not only do I usually have terrible fatigue and especially now since I'm flaring, but my sleeping schedule sucks.

It's really not that late for me right now. It's only about 4 hours before my usual bed time. I'm so fatigued at the moment I feel like bashing my head against a wall to make the tired go spilling out. Unfortunately the wall is too far away and I'm only allowing myself to exert as much energy as is minimally possible to move my fingers around for typing. Removing myself from my fetal position in my chair is out of the question unless it results in me going to bed.

Oh yeah, and my ileum hurts like hell right now. I wonder if I got a small box of razor blades stuck in there somehow. I really should be more careful.

Meds: Prednisone, Pentasa, Vitamin D & Calcium, Atenalol, Darvocet

Current Issues: Crohn's inflammation primarily of the upper GI (duodenum and up), Tachycardia, Osteoporosis

Current Stage of Grief: Anger
07-31-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
Colt

Oh, and I apologize to everyone for my rambling nonsensical posts I usually make. I tend to only come on here when I'm not in a shape to do anything else.

Oh my god, I suddenly feel like I'm going to puke my guts out at any moment. If only I really would vomit I could get some relief. I almost never do so it just drags out my nausea endlessly. My wife can throw up at will. If she gets a mild tummy ache she just casually walks to the bathroom and hurls. What a cruel and unjust (melodramatic too) world.
07-31-2008, 05:46 AM   #3
Colt

I think I'm going to have to cave and go to bed soon. Maybe pop a darvocet first. I'm not sure yet. *sigh*
07-31-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
drew_wymore

Aww man I'm sorry to hear its that bad right now. My schedule is completely off too. I sleep whenever my body says uh lets go to bed now for hours upon hours then I'm up in the middle of the night usually. I have to make it to work today though so I'll be up for quite awhile before I get a chance to get some rest again.
07-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
Colt

I'm still grumpily trudging along. I'm trying to stay awake as long as possible so as not to screw up my sleeping schedule for work tonight.

I've got this terrible metallic taste in my mouth now. It just keeps getting better.
07-31-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
Colt

The pain's worked its way to my transcending colon to give me that nice doubled-over situation.

Oh fuck it. I'm not doing this any longer. I'm taking a darvocet and crawling to my bed room. Good night.
07-31-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
drew_wymore

Be careful Colt, that metallic taste thats not good.
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #8
Colt

I'm doing quite better today. I'm down to being rather sore and mildly nauseated. I didn't sleep very much but I did feel rested when I got up. I've had a bit of insomnia lately. I got up at 1:30PM so I'll probably be exhausted when 8AM rolls around and I'm still up. My big rush is from 5AM-7:30AM which really sucks because I'm usually about to collapse come 4:30AM.
08-01-2008, 11:09 PM   #9
SB6286

drew_wymore said:
Be careful Colt, that metallic taste thats not good.

What does the metallic taste indicate never heard that one before, I have had a god awful taste in the back of my mouth for a few days.
08-01-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
hippie4lyfe

colt that sounds awful, the other day, i hope you are much better
08-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #11
drew_wymore

SB6286 said:
What does the metallic taste indicate never heard that one before, I have had a god awful taste in the back of my mouth for a few days.
I had a metallic taste which when I ended up in the ER turned out to have a small bowel obstruction. It was bile backing up and I was tasting it.
08-02-2008, 01:49 AM   #12
Colt

Yep. It indicated obstruction. I run into it a lot. Instead of diarrhea all the time I'm the type of crohnie that usually has inflammation causing constipation and temporary obstructions or near-obstructions with the associated pain. It's always gone away on it's own eventually as the inflammation subsides and then I manage to get enough out to avoid the hospital. I get other things like ulcers, anal fissures, sometimes crippling joint pain, and an annoying rash all over my head but the inflammation is the main problem.

Last edited by Colt; 08-02-2008 at 02:11 AM.
08-02-2008, 02:11 AM   #13
Colt

I'm still doing better. My pain's only been 4 or 5 out of 10 the last couple of days. Wednesday was an 8. 9 requires me to be on the floor rolling around in agony. A 10 is me uncontrollably screaming in pain while I roll around on the floor. My other symptoms have calmed down. My ass is pretty well healed up from the fissure I've had and I've only had mild/moderate nausea. My joint pain is still especially bad probably due to the weather and exposure to rapid temperature change with air conditioning but I was able to get out today on my birthday and go to a movie without much trouble.

For some perspective so far this year (8 months in) I've had 3 10s which were all during a single week, 7 9s, and 17 8s. My worst pain of the day rarely makes it below 3 which is soreness but no sharp pains. I chart my symptoms on a calender in my own personal code.

I'm still exhausted though. I'm just painfully droning on through exhaustion at this point and I've only been up 12 hours.
08-02-2008, 03:24 AM   #14
Colt

It's 3:20AM and there's so way I can stay up any longer. (Remember I work from 10:30PM-7:30AM) I'm actually concerned in part that if I try to fight it I'm going to end up as sick as I was a couple days ago. Sleep deprivation has always been a major trigger for me.

I guess the best I can do is sleep now and try to sleep again later before work. This really sucks. I'm sure some tomorrow I'll be completely unable to do my job. I'm sure my lack of endurance will cost me my job eventually. 4 months in and I still can't complete my tasks by the end of my shift. Staying late to finish I'm sure is building and will eventually make me a liability due to my overtime pay. I guess I can try to make an argument on the fact that the day shift is late every single day so they're not actually over-staffing. I'm just covering the 15-30 minutes extra that the day shift aren't working.

Has anyone noticed yet that I get extremely cranky when tired and/or in pain?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » Yet another fatigue whine