• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Seems like forever!

Good day all.
I will start this with, I'm new to the forum BUT not to crohn's, I have been suffering ( and I say suffering ) because well I'm one of those people that nothing seems to work. I was diagnosed back in 1990 but had been dealing with all the signs for 4 years prior to that, when finally diagnosed I was put on prednisone (for 3 years) yes that's what I said! And at a very high dose 65 ml per day, I now have thinning in my hips and skin. So to make a long story short I have now had 5 resection's, an illeostomy due to 10 rectal fistulas, back in 2006 I became pregnant and gave birth to a little girl at 32 weeks, I was on prednisone after the first trimester, she came out a very sick little girl and was diagnosed with quad spastic cerebral palsy at birth due to a severe brain bleed. When I read how other people have a hard time getting out of bed, I SO understand!. My little girl is the biggest reason I get out of bed every day, and some days the last thing I want is to get up.
I have been on every med known to a person with crohn's from prednisone to cipro,sulfasalzine,infliximab,intravenous (iv) steroids,flagyl,asacol,entocort that I'm on now.TNF blockers remicade, I was also in a controlled group for 3 other TNF blocker studies... Every part of my body is affected from my joints, eyes,skin I don't know if anyone else gets these red swollen bumps around the bottom of your legs and ankles they hurt like hell! The next drug they want me to start is humira, but I have a very high family history of cancer and have to say I don't feel that great about it, I also have to think of my daughter too.

I'm sorry for going on and on but a lot has happened over the past 20 some odd years. I have to say it really blows me away to hear how many people are diagnosed everyday now, back when I was diagnosed you never really heard a lot about it, and they had little hope then. Now they have so many more meds, talk groups like this one, at one time you didn't talk about it, now if you ask the average person they know of or are related to someone with crohn's, and I have to say that really upsets me greatly.

I hope by telling some of my story I have helped someone, even if it is only to know you are not alone, some days are really bad, but some well are better and you have to run with the good ones. Try not to let crohn's run you, run crohn's.
Depression also is very much a part of crohn's, please don't ever think you are the only one with it, it happens to all of us, I know it happens to me! Some days I ask myself what did I do in life that warrants this?? And at the end you have to remember you didn't cause this........it's just the luck of the draw.
To all of you that are not yet diagnosed, those just diagnosed and for all of those that have been diagnosed for a short time or long time, we must stand together and fight this thing every step of the way, and please remember you are not alone.
Thank you for letting me goin on and on. All the best to everyone:ybiggrin:

Morning!!

I am new here too. I havent been officially dianogsised yet, which totally pisses me off as i have had 3 drs tell me its Crohns Disease but no one will Officially say it. I have to wait til my referral to the GI comes through. Which could be???? who knows.

So after a year and a half i have had with one large peri rectal abscess, two peri rectal fistuals, diahreea, blood, mucous, joint pain and for the last 5 months cramping and abdomen pain . Somedays so bad i can barely stand up.

I have days where i dont want to get out of bed or do anything. And i have only been dealing for the last yr and half. I read stories like yours and i feel like i shouldnt been feeling sorry for myself. I mean its only starting for me......and you have been dealing for such a long long time. YOU are the strong one. I read your story and figure if someone like you can handle all this for this long, then i have hope that i can handle it too.

thanks for sharing. and you are right we have to fight and have to remember we are not alone. I am so glad i found this forum. Before i had no one who understood.

Astra

Big welcome to you both!
:hang:

I hope by being here with us will give you some comfort
Lotsa luv
Joan xxx

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and a most hearty welcome to you :) I'm so sorry to hear that you're suffering so much :( A couple questions:

1. With all those resections, are you being monitored for vitamin and mineral deficiencies such as vitamin B12, vitamin D, vitamin K, etc?

2. Since nothing has been working, have you thought of a stem cell transplant?

We're here for you!

Thank you all for the welcome,

As for your questions....yes I have to inject myself with b12 every two weeks,( i have very little of my colon left) and off and on I'm taking slow k.....I have never been told about sten cell.....sorry even with all my years of crohn's I always hear of thing I didn't know of......I would love to know more about it. Any new ideas are welcome so please share.

Thank you David,

I have been looking into all of this, and I see WOW! Sounds great but the bad thing is I live in Canada and they are not doing stem cell trials yet! Not that I could find anyway, Canada is always the last to approve any new trials or meds, they wait to see what's happening in other countries first. But I will talk to my GI and see if he knows if it will get here soon.....thank you :)