• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Camptodactyly - Do you have a bent pinky finger?

Do you have a bent pinky finger that won't extend?

• Sure do!

Votes: 25 40.3%
  • No, stop with your goofy polls David

Votes: 37 59.7%

• Total voters

David

Co-Founder
I know this sounds weird, but I'm curious how many of you have a bent pinky finger that won't properly extend. I ask because something called Camptodactyly (pinky finger that won't properly extend) has been correlated with a mutation of the NOD2 gene which is associated with many cases of Crohn's Disease.

mine bends towards the ring fingers.. is that what you mean?

My index fingers are twisted, much like my knees... they point inwards

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Neither of my children have that anomaly David so quit with the goofy polls and find something more constructive to do. Don't you have a garden that needs attending to?

Dusty. :biggrin:

Nope, don't have it. However, I do have abnormal fingers- when I straighten my fingers they actually bend back by around 30 degrees. And I have the ability to lock my first joints and bend the top joint on my 1st and 2nd fingers on each hand.

I am like Leebie3. My pinky fingers bend towards my ring finger. Six of my ten fingers are crooked, actually - my pinky fingers are the worst though. I hate my fingers.

Lol @ Dusty! Do you mean since birth, David? My right pinkie started swelling at the knuckle and twisting a few years ago. But it aches and GP said it's arthritis. But both my middle fingers bend from the knuckle towards my ring fingers. Have for as long as I can remember. Goofy indeed!

Both of my pinkies bend in slightly towards the rest of my fingers. I didn't even realise it actually had a medical name until quite recently.

KWalker

Nope, nothing like that. But if it counts for anything I still have my baby toe nails (the little curved ones). They never fell off I guess lol

I have this on both hands. It feels as though the little fingers are in the way of the others. I was diagnosed in 2008/9 and this condition has gradually worsened since then.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Good lord! I have no idea! Maybe David put it there because I dissed on his poll??? :lol:

Dusty. :)

My pinkie toes bend, but not fingers. Now, I wonder how many of us have the "long second toe" syndrome? LOL!
I most definitely do! I've broken the long second toe because the big toe was not able to absorb the punishment. No bent fingers though.

It is an odd question! However both my pinky fingers bend in towards the ring fingers at the last joint. I had always thought it was from playing trumpet in my earlier days...
interesting....:thumleft:

Yep, both of mine point in towards the other fingers, the left is more prominent.

Don't have long second toe.....mine is weird. Second toe curves away from big toe, towards the others. Very prominent. My daughter shares this trait with me.

No, don't have bent pinkies, but I do have the second toe longer on both feet - to a greater degree on the left foot. Does that mean anything? :ybiggrin:

And I can separate all my toes individually. :tongue:

Wow - I never knew this could be correlated, but yes - both of my pinkies are bent toward the other fingers quite prominently at the last joint. Have been since birth. No one else in my family has this, and I'm the only one in my family with Crohn's.

Do you have any more information on this? Is there a specific study that you're referring to?

David

Co-Founder
mainekitty, the reason I brought it up was I was educating myself about the NOD2 gene which is often mutated in people with Crohn's Disease. When there are mutations of that gene, sometimes Camptodactyly presents. If you check out our NOD2 wiki entry here you'll get lots of information and quality references to continue your reading if you so desire.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction! I did a bit more reading around and actually what I seem to have is moderate Clinodactyly - which is slightly different (has to do with where and how the finger bends - mine bend inward, whereas in Camptodactyly it seems as though the finger(s) bend more upward.

I can't seem to find anything that mentions whether this is affected by the same gene or not, so my guess is that a link hasn't been found in Clinodactyly in the same was that is has with Camptodactyly. Probably just coincidental in my case :)

Yes both of my pinkys bend in and many people in my family have this,we were just laughing about it the other day,My last name was Veitch and if i put my pinky's togather they make a V....something I would do as a child....Hum!

Yes. I've always noticed if I put my hands side by side palms down with my right on the left and left on the right my pinkies have a huge gap and make a "V"

David, I am a new member & found the link you provided informative. Yes, both of my pinkies bend towards the other fingers. Additionally, the fingers next to my thumbs also bend in towards the middle fingers & very noticable. Not due to aging, been this way as long as I can recall.

In addition to my bent outward pinky, the fingers on either side of my middle finger bend toward it on both hands.

Mine have always bent, and you know what, this link at the top scared me, my father came from the Med area... this is all linking up...

Last edited: