• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swelling after surgery

I have just had my 1st small bowel resection as most of u no I'm just wondering what is normal in terms of swelling? How long after surgery was your tummy very swollen for? I feel great my appetite is great and my main wound looks like it is healing well it's just 2 areas of swelling that are giving me the most pain it's still early days I am 1 week 3 days post op but just worrying it should have gone down by now?

xx

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I don't really recall swelling but pain, fever, redness and nausea/vomiting are all signs of infection so you'll really want to watch out for that. Mine got infected so I really hope yours doesn't. Keep your GI and us (if you have time) posted! :)

Every major abdominal surgery that I have had, I have had swelling that took 4 weeks or more to dissappear.

Kimmy,
My surgery was 5 weeks ago and I am just getting to the point where I can sleep on my stomach for short periods. It's still tender around my belly button. One and a half weeks after surgery I still had swelling. Overall, it sounds like you are doing well.

Hi Kimmy 86 I had ileocecectomy 3 Weeks ago now and was wondering how long it takes for swelling to go down. How long did it take you? How are you feeling now? Well I hope.