• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone ever experience joint pain?

Hi there you all, just joined this group today and wondering if any of you have experienced joint pain? I have been dx with Crohn's since 2006 but had been battling stomach issues about 15 years before my actual dx. I was 46 when I was dx, I have been on the steriod rountine with no luck, moved to Imuran sp? and had a adverse reacton was then placed on Humeria which failed and now I am on Remicade IV therapy, the last 4 months about 3-4 weeks prior to my next IV I have been experiencing severe joint pain. RA and Lupis has been ruled out, not having any luck with controlling the pain. I was placed on Celebrax last week only noticed some reducing of the swelling .....still suffering from the pain....not fun @ all. Hope someone in this group can offer some advice...thanks, Moeshell

hi Moeshell and welcome to the forum, may have been better to ask if any one doesnt have joint pain as it seems to be part of crohns. sorry no advice.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Moeshell and welcome! I'm so sorry to hear about the terrible arthritis you're experiencing :( Out of curiosity, did your GI put you on the Celebrex or a general practitioner?

You may want to check out our arthritis forum and Remicade forum for ideas as to what else might help with the arthritis.

Again, welcome! :)

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Moeshell,
Have you tried a heating pad for some temporary relief, I know it doesn't last but find it helps a bit.
Also a warm bath with some epsom salts in the water may help.
I tried some massage therapy which again gives only a temporary relief.
It is a very difficult situation to control.
Hopefully with the warmer weather coming it might allow a bit of respite.
Trouble is when the crohn's flares so does the arthritis.
Trev put it very succintly.
Good advice from David, the forum has lots of information.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

Hello :)
I get joint pain as a regular side effect from crohns even when im not having a flare up, i mostly get the aches in my wrists knees and ankles, i like to use a heat pack on the affected areas and it helps alot, if the aches are really bad and all over i take a voltaren which is just a anti inflammatory drug you can buy from the chemist. hope this helps!

Hi,
I had really bad joint pain till I was put on Pred, it went away over night which was really great, but i have been reading that when they start to taper my pred down that it will come back which will be a sad day for me, just right now enjoying pain free joints.

annawato

Staff member
Yep joint and muscle pain. Nothing helps except painkillers and of course they lead to other problems when needed continuously. Sorry to be no help to you.

Yes, when this flare was at it's worst I had pain in my wrists, knees, hips, feet and hands. Pretty much everywhere actually!

yups...wrist pains and very rarely back pains. never experienced pain with other joints. But yes, joint pains are common in crohn's. TC