Share Facebook

05-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
wolfem

Loss of white on nails?

Does anyone know what is means when you lose white at the tips of your nails? I can't find it online anywhere and I this comes and goes. Just wondering what I'm deficient in that would cause this. I'm unable to see my doctor right now to get bloodwork done. He did bloodwork 2 months ago and everything looked good. However, I was told to reduce supplements and now I'm noticing the nail thing again :/

Thanks!
Current meds: Sertraline, Seroquel, Lorazepam (as needed)

Supplements: Trace min EOD, Fish oil, calcium+D, B12 sublingual + B complex, goat yogurt

05-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Mia E

hi!
i'm not sure what you mean, lose white? do you mean your nails are breaking loads?
i have been on calcium and vitamin d3 for over a month since i got diagnosed and have noticed a huge difference in the strength of my nails. i noticed calcium without d3 was not as effective.
i hope this helps!

for me crohns is not cool
05-15-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
CLynn

I am not sure either, at first I thought you meant the white half moon at the end of our nail bed...
Surgeries: re-section 2004
Currently taking: B-12 injections every 2 weeks, multi vitamin/mineral, fish oil (1000 mg), D3 (5000 mg)

Also lucky enough to have psoriasis as well.
05-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
wolfem

Hehehe. The other end of the nail (wait I think that is what you just said). Maybe I'm just too observant but at times I notice missing white on the sides of the tip of the nail. Weird. I haven't been able to figure it out. One nurse told me that if you're missing your moons (on the opposite end) then you are deficient in iron. I wonder if she was talking about the tips. I thought the absent moons were B12 deficiency. Although, those are sort of disappearing too.
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
CLynn

I have only heard of the the half moons disappearing, and white spots in the pink of the nail bed, which was also some vitamin defiency I believe. Ah, don't we Crohnies have some lovely add ons?
05-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
CLynn

I found this on Wiki answers....

If the half moons are gone, or barely visible it can mean a low Vitamin B-12 count. Low Vitamin B-12 can eventually cause problems which range from depression, disturbed sense of co-ordination, paraesthesiae, loss of memory, abnormal reflexes, weakness, loss of muscle strength, exhaustion, confusion, low self-confidence, spacticity, incontinence, impaired vision, abnormal gait, frequent need to pass water and psychological deviances.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_do_ha...#ixzz1v4VDg97v
05-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
wolfem

Gosh dang it! I don't understand why I keep having issues with B12. I was giving myself shots almost every other day and then I ended up with some other symptoms from too much. Anyhow, I'm taking low amounts of a B complex and then a B12 sublingual (gradual increase) throughout the day.
05-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
CLynn

Have you been tested for your level on it lately?
05-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
wolfem

Well, not recently. My sleep doctor wants to test my levels soon. The good news is she also does a very thorough blood tests AND she takes my insurance! Makes me happy that I finally found a doctor that does nutrition and my insurance will cover it. She is also practices internal medicine. One of the best doctors I have ever come across... by far.

Does anyone know of a good B12 sublingual supplement? I just worry about supplements being contaminated.
05-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
I can't remember the last time iv'e seen the white on my nails...(Nail Biter)
05-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #11
wolfem

Haha. Maybe it isn't that big of a deal. I'm too observant.
05-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
retes231

Check your vitamin B levels. The white pigment on our nails is usually affected by vitamin B levels.