• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Graduated from Penn State! (No doing so hot however)

Hey guys,

Been a long time since I’ve been here. A lot has happened since then. I have just graduated from Penn State with a Bachelors degree in Political Science. Currently looking for a full-time job. But I believe that it will be hard with me current state...

I was on a 6 week Remicade treatment and an 8 asacol pills a day throughout college. The remicade worked great for the first two years but then it started to diminish. It began to only last a week or so then I would flare back up. So the last year at college I got off of remicade after they even increased my dosage...It just didn't work. I then began to end my asacol treatment because it had zero effect as well. I was in a constant flare for the last 3 months or so at college. Currently I am on Prednisone getting my weight and health back. I also have a GI appointment next Tuesday to discuss future treatments (It's been awhile since I met with my GI.)

I really am considering surgery because I just want to be in remission. I haven’t really ever experienced a full remission. The longest was probably 3 months long. I really need to get it under control since now I am looking for a full time job and do not need my Crohns affecting that.

So just wanted to give you guys a heads up where I am at. I’ll be around more as well since I have free time now too.

You're wise in wanting to get it under control before starting a job (and for being a poli sci major). When I graduated from UW-Madison in June 2008 I was in a flare. And truthfully, I'm not sure I've ever really been in remission. I just have an altered sense of what is 'normal' and on that spectrum I've been back and forth. Anyway, when I got my first job the crohns was not under control and I swore I wasn't going to tell my employer about it. Of course I ended up having to tell my employer what with the time missed and whatnot, but I did not do so until I had made it past the probationary period. It was extraordinarily difficult to try to sell myself as a great employee who was always doing well and enjoyable to be around and work with when I was really doing terribly. It led to a further flare as well, because when my body said rest, I went to work.

I'm still with the same employer and have a LOT of leeway with missing work being sick and for doctor's appointments. It can be somewhat miserable and my doctor has been discussing putting me on short term disability because things have been out of hand for so long. The only thing that helps is the prednisone....but as a female I'd prefer to maintain a hairless face and whatnot.

I think this place is like a religion. I mean, I just joined, but I always spent time reading stuff when feeling my worst...and here I am again. When I'm feeling well, I don't really bother. Sounds like what you may be going through. Enough tattering away...just wanted to say it is a REALLY good idea to try to be under control before beginning a new job.

What meds are you on now? What have you all been on in the past and did you have any issues/side effects with any of them? I have to go back in to see my doc and I think he is going to want to make some changes. I prefer to be well informed about my meds before I start them.

Hey, Thanks for the reply. I am currently on Prednisone because like you, I feel as nothing has worked. I just had a GI appointment and I am sedualed to have a colonoscopy in a week to determind which direction we should go. I am hoping they find something and can put me on something that gets me normal

I graduated two years ago with my Bachelors in health science, and am finishing my Master's in Public Health this summer. I lost my first job right out of undergrad due to Crohn's (and thinking I could handle masters full time and work full time). Since that time, I have not worked a full time job. The past two years, and being diagnosed for a year, have been hard enough with school not to mention thinking about working full time. Part of me has been holding out for the day when this is under control, to find a big girl job.

Since I am meeting with my new fabulous GI next week, I'm holding off even further. Right now I'm only on asacol which is not even a bandaid for this issue. It's just hard seeing my friends all move on and get jobs and function normally. I hate still relying on family so much, and due to the horrendous flare up of the last few months I had to move back home which is even worse to my ego. It's hard not only physically to deal with the crohns but mind wise can play havoc to. Hopefully everything goes well with your dr. appointment, and keep yourself occupied...there are other people out there just like you haha, even if it is a miserable disease

Congrats on graduating - Yahoo!

Good luck with getting your health managed so you can work full time. Great to have you back :thumleft: