• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Little Farm Girl - Update

my little penguin

Staff member
From what I understand still need to talk it over with our GI it sorta goes like this
IBS
IBS like ( "ME") increased mast cells but not cellular changes so "Normal" biopsies
Crohns/UC- cellular changes from increased mast cells so abnormal biopsies.

So in theory you could have some areas where the cellular changes had not occurred yet but inflammation was happening on a regular basis due to the increased mast cells in the area.
You could also have other areas where there was an increased mast cells with changes because the inflammation had happened way too many times in those areas thus resulting in crohn's/UC.
Once the inflammation gets started then the whole body could have the extras from ME or true EIM if you had crohn's UC.

Now if you can stabilize or decrease the number of mast cells then in theory you could reduce the chance of the ME progressing to crohn's/UC or the crowns/UC from progressing further in the GI track.
ALl theory on my part but that is what i am going with.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes, very helpful, thanks! So, in theory (of course) would you think if she were taking Zyrtec (and prevacid, FWIW) at the time of the scope, could her MAST cells be masked or less? I know for RAST testing and skin testing you must be off of your anti-histamine, but for this would it matter? Gracie's been on daily Zyrtec since she turned 2. Hmmm....

I know my Grace was on Zrytec also but the doc took her off because he thought that would do more harm than good. Yes we did See an improvement. But not thinking this had anything to do with each other.

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has LTFA among other thing so zyrtec/prevacid daily here as well for many years still showed the cellular abnormalities on his scope. but none were found on the scope after pred the year before.
he never had his mast cells counted on his scope. we are still working on that but since he already has crohn's dx probably not worth the effort more academic at this point.

OK well I am for sure calling tomorrow. Gah! I have got to get this under control somehow. I have a blog (more for art and craft projects that I do) but I've thought about adding a section just for this stuff. Like the story and what we've been through... but maybe it is good for me just to have a fun distraction?

UGH!!!!

I left a message for the GI -- so we'll see how long it takes for them to get back to me. I am concerned that b/c she was on her Zyrtec at the time of the scope maybe the MAST cells wouldn't show -- or wouldn't show up as much as they would without it. I will tell you she had an anaphylactic reaction to a cashew at age 2 -- and her immune system has been wonky every since. So I would not at all be surprised if this is what has been going on with her?

I will keep you posted!

Am I wrong that I'm impressed that this thread has over 13,000 hits???????????????:ybiggrin:

Of course that's mostly strangers looking at my life. :shifty-t:

Am I wrong that this kinds of creeps me out now???????????????????:sign0085:

:rosette1:

Yes crohnsinct how did you know.

My life is a soap opera and it will be called........................The Bold, the Beautify and the Lou.

Picture in your mind a black and white TV and on it farmwife and crohnsinct
( the house keepers) entering a fancy room in a mansion

Farmwife- Wow have you ever seen a pile of poo that big?:cool:

crohnsinct- We couldn't hardly flush the Lou.:yfrown:

Farmwife- Wait what's that sound.:shifty-t:

crohnsinct- Oh no, she's going to the Lou again.:frown:

Farmwife- You go clean it.

crohnsinct- I can't I'm pregnant. It's your brother's father's second cousins baby.:rosette1:

Farmwife-That's impossible. He died 10 years ago.:shifty-t:

Stayed tune for further BB&L

Last edited:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Stone the flaming crows!!!

I know I posted somewhere in there but I have missed...

Your birthday...:birthday2:

Dancing poops...:poop:

I didn't miss the diagnosis but I will stick that one in...

And a smiley that describes your "relationship"...

Now kill the thread!

Dusty. :hallo3:

Oh, and an old lady...

Last edited: