Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Skin » Anyone have any thoughts on what this rash is? (pics incl)

01-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #31
mynameisjane

Hi Soybean. I read a lot of your posts.
...you say "It turns out the joint and skin problems I have been experiencing are caused by DIL from the Infliximab."
What is DIL?
My daughter is experiencing similar bumps (EN) and bumps and swelling (vasculitis) all mainly on her feet and lower legs. She is on Humira and we are wondering if it could be the cause.
Thanks.
01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
David
Co-Founder

DIL = Drug Induced Lupus
01-01-2013, 01:11 PM   #33
mynameisjane

Ok, thanks David. She did have a blood test for lupus and it was negative. Is that how they would determine if it is DIL?
01-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #34
David
Co-Founder

If she has an ANA panel, yes, that's one of the tests that they'll run. You can read about DIL here.
01-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
Brandonz

My Support Groups:
Saw the pic and I just wanted to add that I've got that exact same rash. Mine is usually on my shins but I had these well before any Crohn's diagnosis or meds. In fact I had them a full year. Went to the doctor once they started getting too itchy. Gave me some cream. didn't really help. It would make it lessen quickly but never disappear. Then like 1-2 weeks after taking the cream it would come back. Now that I'm on Humira it's there but doesn't progress past the slightly visual state. No more red raised itch fest.

From time to time before humira I would get these on my
Eye lids too.
01-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #36
mynameisjane

Brandonz, thanks for your response. Did you ever have extreme swelling with the rash? Seems the rash can be controlled but her feet continue to swell. The only thing that helps are steroids. We are now trying to see if humira may be the cause and it's been 6 days since her last dose and also no steroids. Feet still swelling and painful. Calling doc today.
03-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #37
juljul

My Support Groups:
DIL = Drug Induced Lupus
Hi Soybean,
I'm inclined to agree with David. I got a similar rash to that in response to mosquito bites, last summer in Egypt. I am still in the process of being diagnosed with Lupus (though I have antidsDNA (95% specific for systemic lupus),& +ve ANA). An abnormal reaction to insect bites is on the St Thomas' Hospital Alternative list for Lupus (not yet made the ARC list). Mine looked just like that.

Sorry if this is late. just found the thread.
But don't worry: drug-induced lupus usually resolves itself after the offending drug is removed.

juljul xx

edit:
I took photos, here is the reaction to a mosquito bite on my lower leg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mozzie bite sml image.jpg (8.0 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by juljul; 03-31-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: pic attachment
03-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
mynameisjane

Thanks all. Turns out she has HSP (Henloch-Schonlein purpura). Been quite a ride with doctor after doctor and many tests, but a ped nephrologist is who really nailed it. So far so good with new med, Celcept(sp?). Has been off Humira for 3 months with no sign of intestinal flare or involvement right now. Lupus is mentioned a good bit but all her markers are negative. I feel we reached a pinnacle with this latest. Fingers crossed for success and easier road.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Extra Intestinal Manifestations » Skin » Anyone have any thoughts on what this rash is? (pics incl)