Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » This month is off to an awful start

08-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #1
mommy1st

This month is off to an awful start

Let me start by saying it is only the seventh of August and everything is falling apart. I have been really stressed lately because my son was scheduled to have lymph nodes removed from his neck because they could potentially be cancerous. So my Crohns was starting to flare up but I could handle it, I'm tough. That surgery took place on August 1st. The surgery went well even though it was hard to watch him in pain (he's only 22 months old) by Monday he was almost back to his old self. Then Tuesday rolled around and my Grandfather had a stroke. I had a feeling that something was wrong with him because his phone was busy and it's never busy. Anyway he laid on his floor after falling from 5:30am to 4:00 pm until my Uncle found him. He's in the hospital so we've been running back and forth to see him and He doesn't have much function on the left side as of right now. Well by now my Crohns is getting the best of me. If I'm able to eat anything I'm in the bathroom within five minutes of it going into my mouth. My stomach hurts constantly and I feel awful. I'm exhausted but I can't sleep. I think I'm going to try just drinking Ensure but I don't know what else to do. We're supposed to get my sons biopsy results on Monday so until then I don't know what to do to get this under control. I was considering a round of Prednisone but I always feel like I'm on the edge when I take it. Any advice on how to get this under control. I know that I have to be strong for the rest of my family during this trying time between my son and grandfather but I feel like my health is going to be an issue if I'm unable to even leave the house due to the frequent (to say the least) bathroom stops. Help Please
08-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
mommy1st

I actually am trying Ensure and yoga right now. The hardest part of my stress factor is that I try to be the "rock" in my family. Everyone tends to lean on me for support so I put on a good front for them and bottle up my own emotions, which can be really bad with Crohns.
08-08-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
Creepy Lurker

Wow. That *is* a bad month.

My fingers are crossed for a good result on the biopsy. I'm sure it'll be fine
08-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #4
Sojourn

Yes, Questran, Cholestyramine, has worked best for me as far as bm's go. But in the worst moments it doesn't work either. I suppose you've tried immodium, but it's worth a try also.

Other than that you could try timing when you eat. You'll probably lose a lot of weight and be hungry most of the time. But during this difficult time, you may only be able to eat at the end of the day when you're at home. This is not medical advice, though, you should consult your GI of course.

When I was really bad, I only ate once a day at the end of the day except for a few small snacks like crackers and not too many.
08-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
teeny5

My Support Groups:
I drink 3 Ensures a day (per dr. orders) and I do pilates or walk my dog to help with stress. I can't seem to do any heavy exercising. Anything that tires me out too much seems to still send my heart racing and make my tummy angry. (my resting heart rate was like at 133 the last time I went to the dr. so I try to avoid anything that sends it higher!) My biggest thing is eating kinda on a schedule instead of waiting till I am really hungry. My obstacle was getting myself to eat again. I just felt better when I didn't eat and created a bad habit of avoiding food. So, now I eat 3 times a day (no butts about it!) I find something to eat even if it is really, really small and in between meals I have my Ensure and snacks if I want. I also drink gatorade since I feel dehydrated a lot and orange juice for the calcium since I can't drink milk.
08-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Isla

Creepy Lurker said:
Wow. That *is* a bad month.

My fingers are crossed for a good result on the biopsy. I'm sure it'll be fine
I second that
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
mommy1st

Thank you all for your suggestions. I only have to get through tomorrow, but I'll let everyone know how we make out. thanks again.
08-12-2008, 08:35 PM   #8
mommy1st

WE WENT TO THE DOCTOR ON MONDAY AND HAD THE BEST NEWS. HIS BIOPSIES WERE NEGATIVE. They had never seen anything like it before so they checked every cell to make sure that it wasn't anything. I guess he's just special that way. So hopefully the Crohns calms itself down now.
08-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Creepy Lurker

mommy1st said:
WE WENT TO THE DOCTOR ON MONDAY AND HAD THE BEST NEWS. HIS BIOPSIES WERE NEGATIVE. They had never seen anything like it before so they checked every cell to make sure that it wasn't anything. I guess he's just special that way. So hopefully the Crohns calms itself down now.
Congratulations!

Must be a load off your mind.
08-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #10
ls1krab

That's good to hear, hopefully the good news will continue for you! Stress can be a killer for us.
08-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
Isla

Wow, that is such great news. But something tells me that even if the news would have been worse you would have dealt with it fantastically! But it is even better that you don't have to deal with it at all, yay. Now you can focus on stress reduction - go do something just for you.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » This month is off to an awful start