• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

B 12 shots

Im a little scared that the doctor told me I have to have a monthly B12 shot for a year. I don't like needles, but have to have my blood draw all the time for the lack of thyroid and having crohns. The worst part is that I have to do them myself at home!! Does anyone else have to do B12 shots?

I do them, Quicks...draw the medicine into the syringe and give the shot in my upper thigh. The nurse will show you how, it's not nearly as bad as it seems. Was funny to me that my husband insisted that I NOT do the shot in front of him...and he is diabetic, used to give himself 4 shots a day. But couldn't watch me do mine once every 2 weeks, haa haa

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I have them done at the doctor's office and its put into my left deltoid. Its important that it goes in the muscle. Its done with a small thin needle so you hardly feel it at all. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to do it myself but my insurance doesn't allow such things. When done right you don't feel it at all and its much easier than having blood drawn especially when someone's screwing around trying to find a vein. :p

I called my GI and they are going to set me up an apt to show my husband and I how to do it....I will not do it myself!

One possible option for you in the future - you may be able to take high dose pills instead. I have had a lot of bowel removed, probably 4-5 feet including the terminal ileum where B12 is absorbed. After the first resection, I had an absorption test and needed the needles. Now, I haven't had a needle for B12 in probably 14 years. Your bowel actually can adapt and learn to reabsorb in other areas. In that 14 years, my bloodwork has never shown a B12 deficiency. As others have stated, the shots aren't that bad though. More of a nuisance...

David

Co-Founder
Shamrock, do you have any sources that showcase that the bowel can adapt and learn to absorb B12 in other areas? I haven't read it and it doesn't make sense as that would require the bowel to grow cubam receptors elsewhere. But I'm open to the idea, thus the request :)

Yes, 1-2% of B12 can be passively absorbed elsewhere thus the possibility of HIGH oral doses. But levels should be monitored extremely closely as that doesn't work for everyone and it's really hard to get levels into the optimal range (above 500pg/ml).

My sources are my personal experience, and supported by my surgeon of many surgeries! I had effectively 0 B12 absorption after my first surgery. I needed B12 for the first couple years after that surgery. My GI at the time had indicated some research indicated that bowel can readjust somewhat, and recommended that I use high dose vitamin supplements (1000 mcg or more). I have not had reason to revert back to the shots since then, about 15 years back. Ongoing blood work have not showed any problems with B12. Couldn't provide specific research articles for it.

David

Co-Founder
My guess would be they were referring to the 1-2% passive absorption. It's only within the last decade or so that they've begun to understand that pathway so I can see how it might be construed that the bowel was adjusting. But I'll keep an eye out for research that says otherwise as that would be very interesting! :)

Sorry - one other thing to mention. As I did have the same surgeon, he commented after one of the surgeries about changes in the structure of my bowel. He noticed a sort of thickening that was not inflammation that appeared to provide more surface area than I should have, thus increasing the absorption area. This effect also continued to my water absorption and other nutrient absorption as well.

David

Co-Founder
That's amazing! I love how the body does what it needs to do to keep going. Lot's of sharing here I realize, but I had a vasectomy and the doctor removed a full inch of vas deferens on each side. When they went back in a few years later for the reversal, they said the two sides had grown back together. The only reason I wasn't fertile was the doctor had cauterized them as well.

The body is so amazing :)