• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mild Crohn's

Hi all,

I'm a 22 year old male. I got diagnosed with mild Crohn's disease 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure what triggered the disease in me, but asides from genetic predisposition I'm suspicious that Accutane treatment for acne and campylobacter food poisoning were lead causes.

I found hope in nutrition potentially being a cure for this disease - and since my disease is labeled as mild, I figured my chances were good. I stopped pentasa after consulting with my G.I. and started the paleo autoimmune protocol, slowly introducing one food at a time (similar, but even more restricted than SCD).

It's been 4 weeks now and my bowel movements have gone from 4-5 relatively loose to 1-2 solid on a good day (I would say almost normal digestion). On the other hand, I'm having low-grad fevers several times every day and for the first time ever I'm having abdominal pain from this disease.

-I'm wondering if the colonoscopy itself has caused me to enter a flare-up and if the symptoms I'm dealing with now is caused by this flare-up?

-Since my bowel movements and stool quality have improved I hope that the gut lining is getting time to heal and that the symptoms I'm having probably will fade away if I give it enough time?

-Can anyone relate to my situation?

I would really appreciate any advice and comments on my situation. If there's anything that you think might help me please let me know.

All the best
-Mathias

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I haven't heard much mention of any research pointing to scopes causing flare ups. I imagine you were already in one, hence the need for testing along with a colonoscopy. Mild or not there is not "cure" for Crohn's so diet may help but there's no guarantee that it will keep you in remission and certainly will not get rid of it entirely. I'm wondering if the Pentasa started helping yet since its stopped you might be taking a step backward but I don't know how long you were taking it. I'd want blood work done to see how much active inflammation you have because that could be what's causing the pain. While you're at it might as well have all vitamin levels checked to make sure each are within limits as many with IBD have issues with proper absorption.

The fevers you'll want to inform your GI about if you haven't already. There are multiple causes for it but since you're newly diagnosed it may likely be GI related.

Sorry if I'm not much help at the moment. I'm not feeling too well right now. Welcome to the forum though! :D

David

Co-Founder
Hi Mathias and welcome! It's great to have you here and I understand your desire to attempt to treat your disease with diet.

The low grade fevers and new abdominal pain are concerning though. I suggest letting your doctor know if you haven't already.

In case you haven't seen it, we have a diet forum and there are some thread regarding the paleo diet around if you want to share your experiences as well.

Again, weclome!

Angrybird

Hello Mathias and welcome to the forum :) I agree that you need to let your doc know about the pain and fevers so tests can be done to check if there is inflammation going on inside, it may be that you need to be back on some medication.

Please let us know how you get on

AB
xx

Thanks for your advice guys. Much appreciated!

I was on pentasa for around a week before I consulted with my doctor about the diet and we agreed that it was a good idea to try - as long as I had follow-up after a few months.

I scheduled a new appointment with him next week to tell him about my progress.

I think the abdominal pain is more related to hard stools than ulcers - because the pain is not specifically in the illeum where the ulcers were. It also seem to be relieved by gas.

Thanks again!

Accutane comment. I had all scopes in 2000 no signs of crohns. 2001 accutane. 2002 gallbladder shut down them six months later crohns dx

I got my CRP results back: <1 mg/nL (can't remember if those where the correct units, but were at the lowest)

I also feel better and usually only have one bowel movement a day:)

Hi Mathias!

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please keep us posted as to how your progress is going, and don't be afraid to ask questions or find answers here.

I wouldn't buy into the accutane myth. From all the research I've done, the accutane theory seems to be based on a study that most GI doctors don't take very seriously. Also, I have seen many ads on TV from lawyers looking for people who took accutane and were later diagnoses with Crohn's or UC (seems to be new disease every other week). These lawyers are basically ambulance chasers looking to sue somebody and the fact they have to advertise on TV looking for clients should indicate how good of a lawyer they are. Don't buy into that. This claim about accutane seems a classic example of lawyers creating an issue for their own benefit, and most people naturally want to know "why me?" so it's understandable to see lawyers do this. Nothing you did caused it. The cause is unkonwn, which means you cannot prove accutane is the cause.

Lots of really interesting stuff has happened over the last 20 years research wise, and we have so many more good drugs available to help now with more on the way. Hope you continue to feel better!

Hobbes650

Hi guys!

It`s been about five months now. Haven`t had diarrhea since the first couple of days since diagnosis, but pretty normal and consistent digestion and bowel movements once or twice a day.

The "low-grade fevers" are still there atleast once a day, but I wouldn`t really call them fevers anymore. I don`t think they even increase my temperature. They`re still annoying though.

Have you heard of anyone with similar symptoms of Crohn`s disease? Only symptom being low-grade fever once or twice a day?

I`m starting to doubt my diagnosis. I did use NSAIDS right before I got diagnosed and there was no sign of granulomas in the biopsies.

Seeing the doc in two weeks, but figured I`d ask you guys first.

David

Co-Founder
I realize you didn't say you weren't going to, but continue to take your meds, don't let your doubts get the better of you. Maybe in the future they can reevaluate but a majority of people with Crohn's disease do NOT have granulomas. Better to be safe :) I'm super happy that you're doing so well!

Low grade fevers do happen but usually there are associated symptoms from what I have read around here. Maybe others can chime in if they've experienced otherwise.

Calprotectin levels came back to negative - so I guess that means there is no active disease.

It`s starting to get weird that I still get the very low grade fevers every day. If anyone knows what this can be please let me know.

Appointment with doctor is not before 6 weeks

Hello Matthias,

I just had my CRP test today. The value was 2.5 ml/dl. My CD is still active. My symptoms are night chills, fever, nausea and sweating. They are mild and occur now and then. They may be side effects of the medicines. I don't have bloody stools or diarrhea. My hemoglobin level has gotten better.

I was also in the denial that I didn't have CD, since I didn't have typical CD symptoms. But, everybody's CD is different. Everyone has a different set of symptoms.

You must be happy that you have mild CD symptoms. I suggest you to take the medicines. They'll take some time to start working.

I haven't had symptoms for about a year now. The doctors can't find any trace of the disease any more. I'm still on the paleo diet