• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to this

Hi all,
My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's last year. Dr.'s have tried different medications but she is allergic to everything so far. On Thursday she is starting on Remicade. I have read about it and it scared me no end. I want her to get a second opinion but this is her second or third opinion. She has accepted that she needs to take this medicine I however have become totally depressed to the point of having to take anti depressants. I am trying to keep calm for her sake but its hard for a mother to see her child unwell even if they are an adult. I guess I need to hear that there are people using this medication and that they are OK ...

Hi Lella ,
I'm 33 and my mom still worries. It's ok! Your a mom!
I don't have crohn's or UC but my 3.5 little farm girl is still undiagnosed. The more the days continue the more we're convinced she has it!
We have a wonderful parents forum here. Parents just like going through the same fears and struggles. Pop on over there if you can and ask away!!! I hope your daughter get's relief soon. Welcome aboard!

Farmwife

rygon

Hi and welocme to the forum.
I have been on remicade for just about a year and its been truely amazing. Gained weight, energy and dont go to the bathroom as much either. I feel healthy again.

It will normally take 4-6 doses for it to work although she may find she feels better after 1. Unfortunately it doesnt work for everyone.

I know theres a very small increase in the risk of cancer as well as some other side effects but personally I'd rather be helthy now than worry about something that may never happen.

Theres also a remicade forum here that may help you and your daughter. How old is she btw?

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your daughter has struggled with the meds, definetly check out the Remi sub forum as there will be plenty of info here, there is even Remi club that is worth reading through with people here who are on this med or like your daughter are about to start it: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=4544.

Will keep fingers crossed that this sorts things for her.

AB
xx

Thank you so much for your warm welcome and for the suggestions. It helps when you talk to other people that have gone through things like this. I made a telephone call to England yesterday and spoke to the doctor there that has developped vaccine for Crohn's. It has been in the making for the past 10 years. They are just going through legal side of things to release this vaccine. Apparently its a one dose and it has helped everyone they have administered it to. I will get more information and post it on here. All the information is at home and I'm at work at the moment. Anyway it looks very promising. I'm sure most of you already know about this but i only just found out about it.
Once again thank you so much for your replies to my posting