Share Facebook

05-29-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Alyssa

Best Probiotics?

I was prescribed Flora-Q probiotic a few years ago when I was hospitalized and have been taking it more or less ever since. I was curious if anyone knows of any others that are good?
05-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Adam1971
Forum Monitor

There is some research indicating that s. boulardii (found in the fermented drink called "kombucha", and can be purchased as a supplement) can be beneficial, especially in fighting off c. diff. Hope that helps.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...ight=boulardii

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthrea...ight=boulardii

dx Crohn's in TI March 2012

Surgery on Dec. 11th, 2012-Ileocolic resection

Remission since surgery- a true blessing

Last edited by Adam1971; 05-29-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: more info
05-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
I was prescibed one probiotic ahwile ago, forget what it was called, but it really didn't do much so I went off of it. Ill try to find it so you can deter away from that, but maybe it was just me
05-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Cross-stitch gal

My Support Groups:
The one I'm taking right now is acidophilus Pearls. I like it because you only have to take one a day and they're not chalky. When I was doing a little researching on my own, I found out that it's one of the better brands. Am attatching the website for you and looks like there's a coupon you can print off to help. Lisa

http://www.pearlsprobiotics.com

Current Meds:
Pentasa 1000mg 2xday or Mesalamine DR 1.2gm 2xday, Canasa Suppositories (when needed) 1000mg 1xday, Tylenol 3 with codeine 300-30mg (when needed)

Non-Meds:
600+D Calcium 2xday, Multivitamin, 65mg Iron 1xday, Fish Oil 1000mg, Vitamin D3 5,000 I.U., Eye Drops 2xday

UP Support Group http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=68350
05-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #5
retes231

You may want to choose a brand and try it and see what's effective for you. Other brands of probiotics may be effective for some of us here but not for you. And some may be effective for you but not for us.
05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
bangarang

Best I've found so far, tho its newer product so probably won't find much about it. You definitely don't want to cheap out with probiotics alot of cheap brands are already dead or least most of them before you even open the bottle.

http://www.iherb.com/HealthForce-Nut...g-Powder/42222

150 Billion Probiotics per serving(which I think is the highest per serving out there today), dairy free, 100% vegan.
Also contains Marshmallow Root which is good for crohns/uc.

If you never bought from iherb before use coupon CEB988 to save $5.

Or you can make your own water kefir, which is probably the cheapest option for probiotics. This video shows how to make water kefir
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMgmotQiHew

Last edited by bangarang; 05-30-2012 at 02:28 PM.
05-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #7
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Yogurt with Actevia (sp?) has 50 billion bacteria per serving. Kefir is really good too. I also cycle different probiotics you never know what will work.
05-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
Keepingfaith

I've heard from several of my Crohnie friends that the best ones are usually the one that have to be in the refrigerator once you open them. I have never had much success with them but I finally found one at Rite Aide that had to be refrigerated after opening, and I have actually seen a little bit improvement! I don't have as much gas pains anymore.

Actually, I can't do well with yogurt because I'm lactose intolerant but I found a gluten & lactose free yogurt! It's actually pretty good & tastes the same as regular yogurt. I like strawberry the best & it actually has small bits of strawberries in it, so there isn't too much fiber!

Why it has to be refrigerated, I do not know. Maybe it helps them to keep alive & thriving?
05-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
jmckinley

My son's Dr. recently put him on VSL3 probiotics. They have to be refrigerated and we have to order them online. Some health food stores carry them, but not around here. Pricey, but will be worth it if they help! They are supposed to be designed for IBD.
05-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #10
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
My son's Dr. recently put him on VSL3 probiotics. They have to be refrigerated and we have to order them online. Some health food stores carry them, but not around here. Pricey, but will be worth it if they help! They are supposed to be designed for IBD.
I think VSL 3 is only helpful for ulcerative colitis and pouchitis. It may good for other IBD conditions but not yet scientifically proven.

I use HSO probiotics by Garden of Life.
06-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #11
jmckinley

Nogutsnoglory,

That would make sense. Even though my son has Crohn's his latest flare is primarily in the transverse and ascending colon. That's probably why the Dr asked us to get it.
06-02-2012, 07:07 AM   #12
toml99

I agree with the other comments -- some probiotics will work for you but not me, and vice versa. My GI Dr. recommended Align -- he said to try it, as it worked for some people, not for others, and wouldn't hurt me if it didn't work. It didn't do much. But -- I've had to take antibiotics to fight sinus and respiratory infections several times and these have a tendency to kill off the "good" GI bacteria also, so I now take Align when I finish my antibiotics, to help restore the GI bacteria.
Slow Fe - 180mg
06-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
jwfoise

I've taken RenewLife Ultimate Flora Senior Formula for several years (I have UC) and it has been like a miracle drug. My UC was pretty moderate (compared to others) before, but it has helped even more. My flares are much less frequent and they last days instead of weeks.

I can't say I've done a careful comparison of different brands. My GI encouraged me to try a probiotic, and this brand was recommended by a friend who has other digestive problems, and it has worked very well for me.

I did test it first, did a month of taking it, then stopped for a month, saw an improvement that went away when I stopped it. Haven't stopped since.
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #14
MommaZ

Renew Life FloraMore has worked for me I feel great on it and I have also tried the one from Garden of Life.
06-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
Alyssa

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll definitely have to give a few of those a try
06-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #16
shmo

I have never been told by a Dr. that I should be taking probiotics. Is that something all people with Crohn's should consider?
06-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
crushingcrohns

Metagenics. Well worth the $

Diagnosis - Crohn's colitis & Pancolitis 2009-current, 97-09 UC, Osteoporosis, controlled anemia with iron infusions

http://ahhhhhihavecrohnsdisease.blogspot.com/

[email protected]
06-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #18
livegreen

I really like VSL#3 it has helped tremendously with my last flare. It has 450 Billion cells, and the prescription strength is double.
I am trying to get my insurance to pay for it, since my G.I would not mind prescribing it.
My Pharmacy gets it for me for a fare price, but it is pricy.
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #19
amyh

My Support Groups:
I like Kirkman Labs and am also now trying Theralac.
Graphic Designer
immune to Remicade
currently in remission
07-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
JamesNY

Sustenex worked for me just fine in two days - after 17 years of different yogurts - possibly because it has an semi-enteric coating - and gets the culture past the stomach acids and into the gut. Phillips has a similar capsule. Might give them a try.
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Twbuto

My Support Groups:
I am switching to Garden of Life Raw probitics. 100 Billion per capsule with 34 different strains. Anyone ever used this brand. Refrigeration is required
10-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #22
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

My pediatrician always told me to eat yogurt after antibiotics. Doctors never say that anymore.
10-09-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

What has helped me the most is S Boulardii. Read the user reviews on amazon of various brands. Costco carries a name brand one I think Florastor. My friend recently had bloody diarhea and this made her human immediately. I personally take Jarrow brand but will try florastor which is the name brand for S. Boulardii.
10-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
Rebreb

My Support Groups:
My GI recommendaded that I switch to align. He said it is the only one proven to work for IBD. I did switch, and haven't noticed any difference yet, but I've only been on it for a few weeks
10-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #25
amyh

My Support Groups:
Super pro bio by Kirkman Labs, has worked for me. As long as I take it daily, it keeps me in remission. If I slack off for a few days, I start flaring up.
10-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #26
Charleigh
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We are loving this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-Bowel-Su...rds=jarrow+ibs
Enteral Nutrition
10-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #27
Jison0612

My Support Groups:
Trying to figure out a good otc probiotic to try any good ideas?
10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #28
wildbill_52280

fecal transplant

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52400

wow i just noticed this thread is old!! i hate when that happens!!
10-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #29
brucep10

My Support Groups:
Maca root powder - I mix it in my shakes - you can get it at any Whole Foods or a co-op - its a great probiotic
10-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #30
ce1210

My Support Groups:
http://www.inner-eco.com/products.html

Inner Eco Coconut Water Kefir is amazing...I just started using it a month ago and I am now drinking 2 bottles a week. I woke up 1 day with a stabbing pain just below my belly button and feeling constipated. I was still going to the bathroom but the stools were thin and small and it hurt to go. I bought 3 bottles of this stuff and 2 cases of naked juice and chicken soup and went on a mostly liquid diet and within 2 days was back to normal. The last time I had pain like that I ended up in the hospital so I think his stuff really works and I have tried a lot of probiotics. I also take VSL#3 as well and it seems to be the best probiotic capsule i have tried. The best non-pharmacy probiotic capsule ive tried is Garden of Life colon care