• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Iron infusion

Astra

Hiya everybody, hope tummies are behaving themselves!

I'm having an iron infusion next week, bloods came back low. Explains why I'm sooooooooooo tired!
Of course I Googled it!
It said a 4 hour stint! Is this true?
It said a steroid, zantac and benydryl will be given?
It said It causes bone pain and flu like symptoms for days after, is this true?
Is it worth it? I'm dreading it now!
Thanks for any advice, suggestions etc
xxx

I get Iron infussions ( called venifir) 1x a week for 6 weeks straight every 6 months to a year, I have been doing this for years. I have really bad crohnic anemia. It usually takes about 2-3 hours and it makes me really really sleepy, but I dont have any side effects nor have I, and I never get any premeds, so I'm not sure why they have you taking all of this stuff.... Definitley worth it, I feel like a new person after I get it since I tend to always be low.... Hope this helps Shannon

Hi Joan.
I had venifer last year and it did take a while cause they put like 30 minutes in first then watch you for an hour. Then they start it going really slow. They speed it up eventually though.
I had no pre meds. Did feel a bit sleepy but i was very anemic. Felt quite tired for the dday after but after that felt fine.
Good luck hun hope it makes feel fab!

Yeah the first one they do slower to make sure you don't have a reaction to it.

It does take a while but I didn't have any reactions to it or feel unwell afterwards.

Astra

Thanks girls!
I phoned the endoscopist nurse after I posted this. (that's who the letter was from)
He said no pre meds and it should take just over an hour, and in his experience, no-one has ever had a reaction to it.
xxx

I have had a ton of these - 2-3 units every 6 weeks for 3 years. Average time for mine was about 1.5 hours per unit. As those above have indicated, they like to make sure you don't react to it. I normally took my iPod and listened to music, had a good sleep. Your length of time could vary a little depending on how many units you are getting. The unit that performs these in Ottawa (Medical DayCare) are probably the best people in the hospital to get along with - personable, good at finding the veins because it is all they do! As with Remicade, I found that if I bumped up my fluids the day before, it can make the veins a little easier to find. Mine were normally a little deflated due to the anemia.

Hope it goes ok Joan and you are a new whizzy woman very soon. I've had venofer and cosmofer several times - no reaction during or after either of them.

Astra

Dunno Cheryl! I didn't even ask.
Gastro recommended it cos I was complaining of TATT (Tired All The Time)

Astra

Ok had my iron infusion today, feel fine, no side effects, took just over an hour, read my book, peaceful and relaxing.
Hoping to be bombin about like Tigger tomorrow!

Oh and my levels were 9, nurse said hopefully this infusion will get them to 15

My hemoglobin is at 12.8, low is 12. But my RBC is 3.71, the low range is 4.20 on that. So the G.I. today gave me scripts for iron supplements and also folic acid supplements. Guess we'll see if that brings mine up.

Hi Astra

Yes I have had to have two of these over the past year. They were the long five hour ones, although the newer version takes an hour, I believe you had the fast track one.. lucky you. Although I did take a whole day off work which is great. They certainly helped me and my Hb is holding up nicely now.

ZIGGY

I'm having an iron infusion at the end of the month. I wish it could be sooner! I always feel very weak and tired, plus my hands and feet are like blocks of ice!

Other than low iron, everything else with me checks out perfectly. I really hope this fixes it.