Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Stephen's update and transfer

11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #301
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well I hate to tell you this but in my life hardships come in three's.
Crazy I know, but three is the magic number of misery for my family.

So sorry that your dad has to go though this. Is it just your mom and you to help with dad or are there more?

My family pet is still my favorite. Still remember her and tear up from time to time when I think of her. Yes I use to have a heart for animals. Poor kids. Poor hubby and you!

I hope all goes better!
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #302
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You poor thing! What a truly awful time you are having. I agree - surely nothing else could go wrong now - you have had enough now!
I hope the antibiotics work this time and stop your dad's infection. Sorry to hear about your dog, a sad time for your family!
11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #303
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lots of hugs
11-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #304
momoftwinboys

So sorry to hear what your family is dealing with.
I can not stop the downpour...but am happy to offer an umbrella to protect you and your family.
krill oil, multivitamin, liquid Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, zinc, pro-thera complete probiotic.

"The decision to have a child is to accept that your heart will forever walk about outside of your body" Katherine Hadley
11-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #305
upsetmom

My Support Groups:
OMG you have been through so much......

I hope things start improving with your dad.

Sorry to hear about your dog.
11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #306
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
OH TESS! I am so sorry about your dog! I am a fellow dog lover and have had dogs cross Rainbow's Bridge and know how hard it is. What an awful time you are having of it. I pray that your dad is now in a hospital that will care for him and treat your mother with the respect she deserves and that the decisions come easy for you all.
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #307
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone! I truly hope we have reached bottom now and things will begin to improve.

Hopefully, my dad will respond to the mess quickly. At least having him admitted will give my mom a bit of time to prepare for his return home; Fridays discharge was completely unexpected and obviously wrong! He is back at the same hospital, as we believed that the fever was inresponse to the infection and it was middle of the night, my mom just wanted to return to where they had a record of all that had occurred. They have temprarily put him in the exact same area he was in when they discharged him - I think it is giving my mom a bit of satisfaction that she can say 'I told you so!' after the way they treated her Thurs evening when we kept insisting he was NOT medically stable.

Farmwife - I have a brother so he and my SIL have been helping as well

Seems strangely quiet at home without our dog but, the kids have had busy schedules today so that has helped. Our dog was 10 years and that is generally the lifespan for this breed of dog. Unfortunately, it's part of the package when you have a pet.

But thanks again everyone... Feel like I've been coming in lots lately taking away the support and hunt been able to put much back!

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #308
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Translation please- SIL?

My child hood dog was 15 yrs old. I cried and asked why we couldn't down my lil sister since she was only 12. It only seemed far at the time.
11-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #309
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Sister In Law
11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #310
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks, considering your not from her country.

Canada- Strange place, eh?
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #311
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Um...duh...SIL means Sister In Law in the states also...maybe you didn't get the memo way out there in the country yet.
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #312
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
crohnsinct,
SUF!!!!
11-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #313
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Sure hoping that means shut up fool otherwise my vision of you and all your heavenliness will be shattered!
11-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #314
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
How did you now that!!!!

I made it up!!!!

I'm going to bed you witch!

Are you like for real???
11-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #315
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Haha admit it we are more alike than you care to admit...that and I am a city girl!
11-19-2012, 01:17 AM   #316
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just catching up on this thread now... Awwww Tess I'm so sorry to hear that things have been so rough lately. Sending you a big ((((hug))))

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
11-19-2012, 05:35 AM   #317
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Oh my goodness Tess...

What an difficult and heartbreaking time for you and your family.

I hope you Dad will be okay this time and they are able to save his toe. I also hope they ensure he is well on the way to recovery before discharging him.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved dog. We surely do become attachéd to our pets and feel their loss so very keenly when they do pass on.

Sending loads of love, luck and healing thoughts your way hun...

Dusty. xxx
11-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #318
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Finally a little bit of good news! It's so little that it's silly to be so 'happy' about it BUT it's something that's NOT bad news!

Stephen's GP repeated all the blood work that was done a month ago... haven't gotten a copy of the results yet but a few of the results are:

CRP 6.5!!!!! The last time it was this low was June 2011, at week 5 of exclusive EN. It was 11 last month and 27 four months ago!!

ESR still high at 34, only down by 1 from last month.

HGB same at 131 (shud be min 140) but, it's not going down... this is pretty much the highest its been since I started keeping track of all his results (Apr 2011)

And, ALT and AST, which were worrying me as they'd recently doubled! At normal range!!!! for the first time since April 2011!!!

SHUSH!!! No one remind me of what I know about blood results!!! ) I know the MRE still showed inflammation but, the fact that his CRP level last month was NOT a one-time fluke, makes me feel a bit better about going the LDN route...

Now if only the GI would call!!!!!!!!!!! Spoke with his assistant yesterday, she said he'd said he was reviewing Stephen's info/results over the weekend and would call... didn't yesterday though!

(Nothing really new with my dad other than slight improvements...)
11-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #319
awmom

Tess, it sounds like things are improving for Stephen!! I hope the rest of the results are good....seems he is on the right track. You sure have been through a rough spell....life tends to though us some curve balls, but when it throws THREE it's so hard to give each the attention they each need. I'm sorry about your pup....they are truly a part of the family and it's so sad they can't grow old alongside of us. I hope your dad is improving...I know it's painful to see our parents hit rough times also. I send warm thoughts and hope things start looking up on all fronts!
11-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #320
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
[QUOTE=Tesscorm;534203]

SHUSH!!! No one remind me of what I know about blood results!!! ) QUOTE]

I'm right there with you sister. In my bubble the labs always tell the truth!

It's a contest to see who's GI calls first.
I have a feeling you'll win.
11-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #321
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Wishing you the best of luck with the gi
11-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #322
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
Even more good news! Just spoke with my mom and she said my dad, confusion-wise, is almost back to the way he was before getting sick! Said they were having normal conversations and he knew everything that was going on now, before, etc. and foot is beginning to look better! Hopefully, we're turning the corner!

Wish I could hope for something positive re our dog but... but we all know it's an outcome that every pet owner will face. It could have been worse... she wasn't sick, didn't suffer, etc. And, where my husband walked her, off leash, she'd go running into a very large forest sometimes for 10-15 minutes before she'd come running out... if it had happened in the forest, we may never have found her and would have been left never knowing if she'd gotten lost, had been hurt, etc.; because the heart attack was so unexpected, it wouldn't have crossed our minds. So, if it had to happen, I suppose it happened in the least worst way.

Now, if the GI will just call... I would actually start to see the Farmwife - I hope we both get these calls TODAY!!!!!!!!!!
11-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #323
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear about your dad.

As far as dogs, we adopted an abused dog. Not only was she mistreated by her owners but the other dogs picked on her also. We got and loved her and she came to trust us. Got up one morning and she was lying in the way and I nudged her with my foot and said baby time to move, she didn't. She died in the middle of the night and my other dog was cuddled up next to her and didn't even know her new sister had died. We only had her for a year. Plus it was Grace's dog. Yep a sad day indeed. Hugs to you!

BTW in the mourning of your old dog do not go buy a new dog! Trust me. You'll wind up with a 90 pound puppy that drives you crazy!!!!!! She's still my puppy but what a PAIN!
11-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #324
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Thata girl Tess! There are blessings in every situation. Sometimes small and we have to look harder but they are there. Lost pets are the worst. I lost a cats twice. Searched for months. Followed every lead and nothing. One was found dead in a neighbors barn and the guilt over not looking hard enough, or wondering if she heard us calling and just couldn't come consumed us. The other was found months later when we opened our pool for the summer. Just awful!

I am so glad your dad is doing better!

Now...missing GI's on the other hand...did you put up posters around town?
11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #325
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
BTW in the mourning of your old dog do not go buy a new dog!
We may actually end up with TWO puppies!! My husband wants a hunting dog (English Pointer) that he can train and enter into competitions, etc. - a manly sport But, my question to him is 'what is the point of having a dog that won't be with me when he's away pointing and hunting??? If I'm all alone in the dark, lonely house... may have to pull out that merlot and call the big, strong fireman/rescuer when I get spooked! I'm thinking he'd be better to buy me a new doberman!

missing GI's on the other hand...did you put up posters around town?
Too funny!! Maybe I'll start with sending the poster to his assistant by email!
11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #326
Sascot
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No puppies here - my kids still haven't forgotten the one we had for 4 days .
Glad your dad is feeling a bit better and those blood results sound pretty decent! Hope the GI calls soon!!
11-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #327
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Haha we bought a chihuahua for Olivia and it got sick two days later. WEnt into doggie ICU and $5,000 later passed. Hubby was O.K.'ing all kinds of treatments. Drugs that could cause blindness, kidney failure blah blah blah. I told him, "that's it! You are no longer in charge of my care if I am not able to make my own decisions...if you do that for a dog that we only had two days what will you put me through"...he said, "I've had you longer...don't worry"
11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #328
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Haha we bought a chihuahua for Olivia and it got sick two days later. WEnt into doggie ICU and $5,000 later passed. Hubby was O.K.'ing all kinds of treatments. Drugs that could cause blindness, kidney failure blah blah blah. I told him, "that's it! You are no longer in charge of my care if I am not able to make my own decisions...if you do that for a dog that we only had two days what will you put me through"...he said, "I've had you longer...don't worry"

To funny
11-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #329
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
^^^ ^^^
11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #330
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It's like the old joke.

The wife looks ant the husband and says, if you could only save one person from drowning, who would you save, me or hunting dog that took years to train?
The hubby thought about and said the dog of course. Wives are easier to train.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Stephen's update and transfer