Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » It finally happened

08-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Colt

It finally happened

You've probably heard me going on before about how I fear losing my job for being weak and letting my disease show. As I was finishing up my work on Tuesday morning the disciplinarian came in and told me that they wanted to move me to another unit. The Alzheimer's unit of course which everyone dreads because, while it's less physically challenging, the residents there tend to be extremely violent. I was told this would 'fit (my) skills better'. She told me that the DON (Director of Nursing AKA the big boss) wanted to fire me but she talked the DON out of it for me because I have a baby and she has sympathy for me because she has lyme disease.

Anyway, my work isn't really that bad. I sometimes take 5-10 minutes longer to finish my work at the end of the shift than most others but I also do things right. Unlike most people I don't show up 15-30 minutes late and leave 20 minutes early. I also don't leave dirty diapers laying around at the end of my shift or any of the other various nasty things that almost everyone does. My work quality is excellent. The speed of my work is only below average. My real problem is that I'm not outgoing and I appear weak and sickly.

Anyway, as I was told, I've been 'struggling' and I'm hanging by a thread at this point. Over and over she went on about how I was struggling and I seemed miserable. Why that means I should be fired or disciplined I don't know. As long as they're getting sufficient work out of me they should be happy. Apparently not though.

Meds: Prednisone, Pentasa, Vitamin D & Calcium, Atenalol, Darvocet

Current Issues: Crohn's inflammation primarily of the upper GI (duodenum and up), Tachycardia, Osteoporosis

Current Stage of Grief: Anger

Last edited by Colt; 08-14-2008 at 11:29 PM.
08-14-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
teeny5

My Support Groups:
That totally sucks!!! So sorry you have to deal with that. I try to hide how I am feeling at work...not sure how well I do at it though. I just went back after taking a month LOA and one of the regional managers told me she was glad I took time off cuz I looked really sick. I was surprised cuz I thought I was hanging in there pretty good...oh well I guess I am not a good faker.
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
My Butt Hurts
Squeals-a-lot!

That does suck! Any way you can tell the director your middle paragraph? I hate it when people don't see all the good you do. I got my year end eval this year, and one category was just marked satisfactory, but my boss didn't know all of the things I did to fit that category. Luckily, I kept a list all year, read it to him, and he changed it.
I guess it's good that you still have a job, even though it's not what you want. At least you're not fired. You might have to find time shortcuts now.

I shouldn't say this, but when I was a teenager I played games with my husband's great grandmother who has alzheimer's. She would ask the same question over again and I would change my answer.

Hope it goes better than you think it will.
08-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
Colt

The problem is that the way people manage to take care of 15 people who can barely move and don't know what's going on simultaneously on their own is that they consistently break every single law and regulation (I'm not kidding when I say every). I'm already breaking as many laws and neglecting people as much as I can stand before I have to put my foot down and say no more. Sadly I just have a hard line when it comes to the treatment of other people.

Sadly quality and high morals are not what they want. They say that but it's doublespeak. They know exactly what goes on. Many of them have worked the job before as part of their nursing clinicals and they did the same thing. They just refuse to have sufficient staff. When the choice is staffing at a 5 to 1 ratio and doing things with quality and dignity or staffing at a 15 to 1 ratio and abusing and injuring both the employees and the residents they'll always choose the 15 to 1 ratio. It's not like the nursing home is at risk anyway. When they get caught they only punish the lowest level worker who had the choice of break the law or be fired for not working fast enough.
08-15-2008, 02:40 AM   #5
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
The idea that you might be "disciplined" because you've got crohns leaves me speechless. So... discipline is a cure for crohns, we should all be joyous... all we have to do is pull ourselves together and top slacking.
Sorry... it's your rant, not mine! But I hate it when people get this sort of treatment at work because of this disease.
Best of luck, Colt!
08-15-2008, 03:30 AM   #6
Colt

Oh rant away. It's good for everyone.

It's not so much that discipline is going to cure me as it is that they see me as a liability and they want to get rid of me. Punishing someone unfairly is the best way of getting them to quit.

On the other hand though, it was their way of doing something to me short of firing me because as I said, I'm a pity case and they would feel bad about firing me.

Maybe it will work out better though. Being night shift the Alzheimer's people may all just sleep through the night and not need their diapers changed.
08-15-2008, 04:34 AM   #7
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Don't know about how employment law works where you are, but maybe it's not that easy for them to fire you just on the grounds of your illness. Obviously plan B is to p*** you off enough so you leave of your own accord, which would be bad news!
Maybe you'll even get on better with the new duties and have the last laugh.
08-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Colt

Under US law right now they can fire me for being sick and be totally in the right legally. 2 months from now (due to length of employment) it becomes illegal but there's no enforcement clause in the law so it's effectively legal.
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM   #9
mommy1st

I was so lucky when I started my job 7 years ago, my practice manager's son also has crohns so he is very sympathetic to me. Colt I wish you the best of luck and its sad to think that they would rather rush you with your residents instead of having you give them the proper care that they need and deserve. Maybe if your co-workers would clean up after themselves you wouldn't have to take the extra time to do it for them causing you to be behind.
08-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Colt

In the US, even if you get disability all it does is draw on social security earlier. You basically just retire at whatever age you are. I'm only 24 and I haven't earned much in the way of social security credits (based solely on gross income over your life) so even if I got disability the amount of money would not be sufficient to pay the bills let alone provide a tolerable quality of life.

I'll just have to stay with this job until I get fired or find something else, then work another job until I lose that one and so forth.

Last edited by Colt; 08-15-2008 at 09:50 AM.
08-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #11
Babe123

isnt there any way you are protected? they cant fire you for being sick. they shouldnt be allowed to do that.. if you do your job to higher standards than every one else.. weather it takes you an extra 15 minutes or not they should see that you do things alot better than every one else. you need to do whats best for yuor health.. is this job better than theone the moved you from? xx
08-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #12
drew_wymore

Sorry Colt sounds like you are close to the same boat as me, I got fired though. I really hope things work out for you.
08-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #13
Colt

No, I'm not protected. There's a difference between how things should be and how they are. There always is.

Yeah Drew, we're pretty much in the same boat. Odd that we got hit with this at about the same time. I suspect an international conspiracy. If only we could find the evil mastermind and blow up his secret lair to fix it all.
08-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #14
drew_wymore

No shit Pen ... the pun is not intended I would _love_ to see my boss suffer from this stuff.
08-17-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
mommy1st

Pen said:
Sometimes I wish I could give it to them for a year and see how they feel?

It's really funny that you say that, because I had a basketball coach who always said I was a baby because everytime I would get elbowed in the gut or even when we had to do wind sprints I would do them but would complain how much my stomach hurt, years later he has Crohns. I also had a dentist who was mad that I had canceled a few appointments because I wasn't feeling well and he said so what you have a little bit of diarrhea, I don't see the big deal. His son now has Crohns. Amazing isn't it
08-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #16
Colt

I work in the medical field. My bosses are all experienced Registered Nurses and I'm not their first employee with crohn's. The other one's even had surgery. The disciplinarian even brags about how she has a friend who had crohn's. They just don't care. Money trumps everything and if they think they can make more money by firing me they'll do it no matter how it affects me.
08-17-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
Colt

I called in sick tonight. Well, I tried. We're suppose to call in 4 hours before our shift. I called in 3 hours before the shift and was informed that they couldn't accept my call-in. Told me to call the Director of Nursing. Which is improper because it's the weekend and there's a week-end nursing supervisor to handle this stuff. Anyway, that's the number they gave me and so I called and she didn't even answer. I left a message.

So, we'll see if they decide to fire me for not giving enough notice before calling in. I've gone to work the last 2 days sick as hell bleeding and hurting, exhausted from what's probably anemia. I was trying to sleep off the fatigue and weakness with an extra nap and it only made me even more sick so that's why I didn't get the call in until 3 hours before my shift.

Anyway, like I said, we'll see if they fire me. My hopes aren't very high at this point.
08-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #18
BWS1982

This all really sucks, Colt, the sick Merry Go Round of greed. Been there, done that, got the dirty underwear.

Hang in there man, hopefully something will work out for the better...

-diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in Sept. 2006, currently 28 years old

"Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird."

"Men with Spartan lives, simple in their creature comforts, if only to allow for the complexity of their passions." -The X-Files, S4
08-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #19
Agent X20

My Support Groups:
Colt... those people you work with are just a******s.
As if life isn't complicated enough... makes me very sad, as well as angry.
The 4 hour rule is just priceless... what happens if you had a heart attack 30 minutes before your shift? Do they come to your hospital bed and give you a good kicking? They're supposed to be health professionals... I bet the mafia have better working conditions!
08-18-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Colt

I guarantee the mafia has better working conditions. Unfortunately I don't live in a mafia area and I don't have enough prior experience or a family member to get me a job with them.

This kind of behavior is standard in all jobs I've ever seen really. It's probably at it's worst in medical related jobs though because the culture of rule and law breaking is deeply ingrained. They have tons of experience violating things and getting away with it. That's the job skill that the administration is hired based on.

Every time they see something bad going on they use the stock phrase "Don't do that when state's here." meaning the state inspector who shows up once a year and is pretty much in on the con because the medical administrators are the richest group of 'small' business owners in the country and if a nursing home gets shut down the politician in charge is in deep shit.

Hell, people get away with negligently killing patients all the time and no one cares as long as there's no punishment. We caught a few nurses/med techs giving a patient over 5 grams of acetaminophen per day because they were so bad at their jobs that they didn't know darvocet has acetaminophen in it. Nothing happened to those nurses/med techs. It wasn't even reported because it would make the nursing home look bad and risk an investigation to find out all the other things like that. That dosage would have eventually caused liver failure which is not a pleasant way to die.

Once you establish breaking all of these laws all the time to get away with mistakes it then branches off into breaking laws to cut costs. Then once you're thoroughly breaking the law in regards to residents that are enforced with prison sentences and you know you'll never be punished for it, why not break labor laws which you know have no punishment even if you do get caught?

At least you can scare a fast-food manager with the idea of it being illegal. The medical administrator knows the laws by heart and isn't frightened in the least.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » Vent Away » It finally happened