Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Switching from Humira to Cimzia!

06-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
Keepingfaith

Switching from Humira to Cimzia!

I just got back from my Rhuematologist. My GI wanted me to ask him about maybe increasing my Humira to two shots, every week. My Rhuematologist said he's never done it & even Abbot said they've never had a patient on that high of a dose. Especially giving it to a kid who's almost 16(myself). My Rhuematologist thinks Cimzia is our last shot. I've failed all the other biologics. The only issue is that Cimzia isn't FDA approved for people under 18 so that will be a battle all in its self.

What are your experiances with Cimzia? Did it work better than the other Biologics? I've never done the syringes. I've always done the pens. Are the syringes easier for you than the Humira pen?
Entyvio
Prilosec
Protonix
Seasonique
Noritriptyline
Steroid suppositories
Canasa suppositories

Diet: Feeding via J-tube

DX: Crohn's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis, Gastroparesis

Previous Medications:
Remicade- Drug Induced Lupus, Humira, Prednisone,
Entocort, 6MP, Methorexate, Amitriptyline, Asacol, Flagyl, Apriso, Cimzia, Cipro, Sulfasalazine etc. You name it, I've tried it.
07-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
wannabehealthy

hey this reply is late, but I just switched yesterday from Humera to Cimzia. I don't know if it will work yet. I can tell you that my office does the shots. It doesn't sting like Humera. Good luck. I hope you've found some answers
07-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Keepingfaith

I already got my loading dose like a month ago Hahhah but thanks anyways! I actually get my 5th & 6th shot(which will complete the loading dose)tomorrow! I agree, it does hurt less. I hope it helps us both!
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
SueBee

This is a late answer to Keepingfaith, but I just saw your post. I hope you're doing better by now! For me, Humira (a pen-type) was much easier to administer than Cimzia (a syringe). It worked better, too, but I had side effects we're trying to avoid. I don't remember Humira stinging. If you put ice on your leg/stomach for a few minutes before the shot, that might help alleviate any stinging.
If Wannabehealthy sees this, when you switched to Cimzia, did you have to do the big loading dose?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » Switching from Humira to Cimzia!