• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My UC

Hi, My name is Amy. I am 35 years old, and was diagnosed with UC in Dec2009. Prior to diagnosis, My food would seem to go straight through and always had bowel movements. I always thought it was my nervousness. I also had extreme pain in the left lower abdomen when my Period would come on. Finally after complaining enough to my Gynocologist she decided to go in and look around. Nothing there! So I lived with the pain for several Years until one day I started to pass blood. Had to have a colonoscopy and was then diagnosed with UC. I have been on Lialda(4 a day), with off and on Entocort (3 a day). Early on it seemed to help, but the last couple years the pain is horrible with my cycle. You can feel the swelling through my abdomen. So we did a cats can which showed inflammation and thickening on the right side. Next step was colonoscopy, which I just had yesterday. The first time the UC was limited to the area to the left of my belly button. On yesterday he told me that looked ok but he found friability, granularity, and erythema in the cecum and 40 to 60 cm. Ok so if I translate 40 to 60 cm, that could be 15 to 24 inches? Doesn't seem good to me. Well I have to wait on the biopsy results. Does any of you ladies have extreme pain around that time of the month?

Wow we sound a lot a like. I'm 29 and I have severe pain around that time of the month. After complaining and several er trips, my obgyn did exploratory and found nothing but a spot of endometriosis. ( this was may 26). The very next day after that procedure I had the worst pain ever (by belly button) with vomiting, bolting, back pain, blood in stool (like I had a period). It was crazy. After them making me wait I FINALLY had my colonoscopy June 4th. It showed everything yours did in the descending and sigmoid colon. I'm waiting on biopsy to come back as well.

This morning I woke up with all left pain (unusual for me) with pain that warped around the back. Needless to say I had to take a pain pill.

I now have an apt this coming Monday to have an endscopy done. I think I read ths really helps them determin if it's Chrons or colitis.

This is what my findings said to the tee... It says patchy inflammation in descending colon, several erosions with granularity and erythema in the descending colon and sigmoid colon compatible with colitis, rectal polyp and polyps (2 mm) in the rectum. Biopsy was taken of the polyps and the erosion and erythema.

Hi Fosterfamily2303,

We do sound alike. My gyno did find a spot of endometrosis but she said that would not affect my pain. I started charting my periods and my pain and my pain starts 3 days after my period begins. It too wraps around the back. They did call me with my biopsy results this morning and said definitely UC in 2 areas., and it is "active". And he wants me to start back on Entocort 3xday and see him in a month. That is what frustrates me. I dont see a difference when I take it. And the problem is it is always "active". I just dont know what to do at this point. Once my pain starts it last for 2 weeks. Then I have 2 weeks off. What kind of damage is occuring in there? And they DO NOT give me pain pills. They only give me "sedatives" , to knock myself out.

I guess better UC then Chrons. If your not happy on ur docs approach on ths u should find a different one. My gi refused to give me meds too. I talked to my pcp and she pre scribed it for me. My gi told me my acute pain should not be from UC (if that's what I have). Like I told him...I don't know but I'm def in pain.

How long did it take u to get ur results? I had my colonoscopy monday and I'm still waiting

I would also tell them sedatives are too much and u can't function. I take OxyCodone. It works for the most part and I can function to take care of my 21 month old.

My colonoscopy was Wednesday at 11:45am and they called me early today with results. I am going see my psychiatrist to vent on Monday. The pain is definitely there. I don't mind taking the sedation at night but I have to function during the day at work. And if you stay on that stuff it can be addictive, and I don't want that to happen.

WOW I had endometrosis for years and then I cyst on rt ovary had it removed then 2 yrs later after my resection they found one on left, I fininally had a Hysterectomy, but also was dx with crohns.at 39 years old not to mention all my other health issues