• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In Afghanistan with Crohns

I am currently dealing with a Crohns Disease flareup in Afghanistan. I was diagnosed with it 6 years ago. I've only had a couple flareups and haven't had any problems with it at all for the past 4 years until this past week. I almost forgot I had it but I remember this feeling all too well. I'm afraid to see any doctors in Afghanistan because I don't want my company to see this as a problem and get kicked off the contract. I'm hoping somehow I can get it to go away in a week or so but I'm worried it won't be that easy. Can anyone give me any advice on things I can do over here to help my flareup go away? I have terrible cramps and bloating to the point where my pants can barely fit anymore. It's hard to go on a strict diet, there isn't much food to choose from. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you! :sign0085:

buckkkin, sorry to hear this & I'm not sure your welcome what I'm going to say but your health must come 1st. Because if you let it carry on you might lose the contract anyway because you cant do your job.
I dont know anything about what your Dr's experience is like & what sort of medical supplies he has @ his disposal but I'd wager he would have some Prednisolone available that is used for many illnesses as a fast route to knocking down inflammation. That might be enough to get you through you current contract & enable you to seek treatment when you go back home.
In terms of diet IMO low fiber would help out. Stop eating high fiber cereals, salads, & green veggies. Make sure all fruit & veg is peeled & dont eat mushrooms & avoid pulses including sweetcorn.
I really hope this helps because you sound as though your caught between a rock & a hard place.
Best Wishes
Grant

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm not sure how you'll get it to go away really. When are you going to be able to see your own GI again or be back in your home town where you can see someone? So far for pain all I can suggest is Tylenol and heating pads. Maybe even smaller and more frequent meals even if the food is lousy.

Isn't there any way to have some sort of medical leave?

I am currently dealing with a Crohns Disease flareup in Afghanistan. I was diagnosed with it 6 years ago. I've only had a couple flareups and haven't had any problems with it at all for the past 4 years until this past week. I almost forgot I had it but I remember this feeling all too well. I'm afraid to see any doctors in Afghanistan because I don't want my company to see this as a problem and get kicked off the contract. I'm hoping somehow I can get it to go away in a week or so but I'm worried it won't be that easy. Can anyone give me any advice on things I can do over here to help my flareup go away? I have terrible cramps and bloating to the point where my pants can barely fit anymore. It's hard to go on a strict diet, there isn't much food to choose from. If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you! :sign0085:
I thought it was a private company you work for because people with crohns disease can't even join the army.

Try and eat plain meat and stuff that won't irritate your bowel. Maybe mince (cottage pie maybe), bananas (occasionally), toast from white breat DON'T eat brown bread or anytging with brown wheatgrain or anything spicy for that matter. This is in the low fibre diet that most people follow. Surprised you were allowed to go to Afghanistan with crohns disease, most places once you mention daily pills or illness like crohns don't.

Thank you everyone for your help. I was able to get a hold of some prednisone and after a couple doses I felt great again. Bloating went away overnight and the cramps are now gone. I got lucky, was never able to get rid of a flareup before without being hospitalized. It was a big relief. Can't thank you enough for your help. God bless you all and I hope everyone the best!

buckkkin, Pleased its helped this time. But as your probably aware Pred is not something you can stay on forever, and of course lengthy use over a long period can lead to brittle bone in later life. Please seek help when you return to the USA.
Rgds
Grant

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Plus if you've been taking it for over 10 days you'll have to slowly taper the dose down to 0 over time. You'll really want the help of a trained doctor to do that.