Share Facebook

06-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Cooking & Diets for Kids with IBD

As we all know having IBD is challenging enough but when that person with IBD is a child then the challenges can be even more difficult to deal with. One of the problems that many parent's face is diet and how to provide appropriate and adequate food/nutrition for your child as they transition through the different phases of this disease.

This is a place to post your tips, recipes, successes, failures anything really that relates to IBD and diet/eating!

Dusty.
06-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What a great idea Dusty.
I wanted to ask every one is ....what are some big NO NO's for food.
I read some where that pop corn is one of the worst foods for your gut.

I just made some honey cookies. I think it's a good recipe. No milk or sugar plus simple ingredients.
Of course my famous pastry shell recipe for all who desire it will be available.
I'll post it when I have some more time.

Farmwife
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
06-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
Jmrogers4

Great idea, I know when I find something that J can and will eat we make it a lot! so the more choices the better. Any ideas on an easy snack he can have in the baseball dugout while everyone else is munching and spitting sunflower seeds?

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
06-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Farmwife: what good is the pastry shell recipe without your big ole rolling pin?

Hey everyone: O is getting ready to transition off exclusive EN so I wanted to add back in the best possible things. I have been given a lot of information about meat and dairy from grass fed animals. Check it out. I found it interesting that they have anti inflammatory properties, good vit d, good b12 etc...all stuff many of our kiddies need. I think somewhere in all this info it says something about Europe not taking US chicken or meat or something so maybe you guys across the pond are already on this but makes interesting reading. I have already located a few farms within an hour of me. I travel an hour for infusions and doc appointments so why not some good quality food (very expensive but I would rather support our local farmers anyway)
http://eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htmn
Vit d 2000IU
Multi vitamin plus iron
Calcium

Previously used - Prednisone, Prevacid, Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate oral and injections, Folic Acid, Probiotics, Cortofoam

Daughter T dx 1/2/15 at age 11
Vitaligo, Precoscious puberty & Crohn's
Remicade
Vit D 2000IU

Previously used, Exclusive Enteral Nutrition, Methotrexate (injections and oral), Folic Acid, Entocort,IBD-AID Diet
06-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You have to earn your rolling pin lady!
Learn to cook and I'll consider it!

Farmwife

Yes by all means support local farmers!!!!!!!

Last edited by Farmwife; 06-11-2012 at 07:04 PM.
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
^^^
06-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You may want to check at the grocery store as well- due to food allergies it was easier to buy the natural meat .
turns out it was grass fed- organic- no antibiotics etc...
No travel involved.
I didn't even know I was helping his crohn's

I really think it is trial an error.

Since the food doesn't cause a flare but can make it worse once you are in one.
We did find out for DS at least even no foods (EN only ) was not enough to get rid of all his symptoms.
06-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
mlp everytime you post I get sad for your honey bear. I pray for the day we read your success story.

If Remicade alone didn't do it for O I don't think EN alone would have either. But at least the EN helped us avoid adding even more drugs.

I checked my market and there wasn't anything but there are quite a few markets around me so I will check them all. Also it is a super competitive environment...think I will whisper in the manager's ear that I am looking for it...maybe if enough people ask they will start carrying it.

But I was secretly looking foward to the hour drive to the country...a little mommy get away withought the guilt...maybe do some antiquing along the way....
06-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

too funny can I go shopping too.
Our store is local chain that loves to over charge for their organic section :trolleys:

Oh well-- maybe the new drug (remicade if I ever hear back form the GI) will make this all worth it.

Side note on those looking at EN. Now that he has been on food + EN for 5 months ( dare I say it ) we may have to slow down- depends on his growth. He is almost up 12 lbs

If you need any recipes free of xyz-->
let me know- POFAK tend to know how to make things that should not exist in nature.
Pure cane sugar cotton candy anyone

One thing to note which may stir up some things-
Even in kiddos whose digestive tracks are so out of whack they can not tolerate any whole proteins/foods (EGIDs-EoE,EC, EgE etc..) most are permitted pure sugar and dum dum lolipops(artificially flavored ones). These things do not cause inflammation in the gut.

So that is one thing we will not avoid.
IF it works works for your kiddo though so be it.
06-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #10
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
But I was secretly looking foward to the hour drive to the country...a little mommy get away withought the guilt...maybe do some antiquing along the way....
That sounds great! Can I come?

Also taking: TuZen probiotic and following a low FODMAP diet (not very strictly).

Past Treatments: Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Pentasa, exclusive EN via NG tube (6 weeks), Prevacid, Iberogast (20 drops twice a day) and high doses of vitamin B2.
06-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #11
Twiggy930
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My son is still having a hard time with fresh fruits and veggies. He has mostly been eating canned fruit, good thing I canned 60 lbs of peaches last summer! I have been buying canned pears as well so I think I'm going to add pears to the canning list this year. Other then the canned fruit he has been eating a bit of watermelon and steamed carrots without any issues.

We just got a juicer so I'm going to give juicing a try. I'll let you all know how it goes.
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Canned your own peaches????!!! I am super impressed! I am way out of my league

LMAO I have said this before but for Suzy's sake as far as that low residue diet goes...when I was telling my friend what was on it she asked me to tell Olivia not tell her kids or they would start faking Crohns...

The way I see it, if they have to do colonoscopies and other yucky procedures at such a young age and put up with the pain and side effects of drugs they deserve a dum dum now and then!
06-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #13
jmckinley

Farmwife - I think no no's will be different for everybody and some of them may be okay when not in a flare. Anything that might be rough or get lodged inside is a concern.

Our no no's are seeds (nuts, sunflower, sesame, popcorn), grapes, corn, hotdogs, and steak. Raw fruits/veggies are sometimes hard on his system, but I limit them and tell him to chew them to death LOL
06-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
Suzysu

My Support Groups:
Farmwife - I want that Honey cookie recipie!!!
We just made Fairy cakes (not exciting, or particularly healthy, but low residue and easy!! - also if you don't ice them they are very easily transportable for snacks) - Although I would say that unless you want a kitchen COVERED in icing I would advise that you do NOT take your eyes off your nearly 2 year old while you attempt to direct your 3 year old to put the icing on the cakes (rather than the worktop\floor\himself).
Also just waiting for my fresh made low residue bread to finish baking (I am a little bit excited as I have never made bread before!).
06-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good for you. I'm proud!!!!
Next time you have the kids ice cookies. Put one cookie in a empty cake pan and Tell them the icing want to stay in the cake pan where his family live. Work like a charm!
06-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
What??!! Homemade bread? I better get my game on!

Yes, please post honey cookie recipe Farmwife. I promised my kids unprocessed didn't mean no goodies.
06-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #17
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
I'm curious as to what everyone sends their kids to eat during the day... Stephen takes a sandwich and fruit every day but that's not enough to last him all day. He used to take nuts sometimes (no longer), loved granola bars almost every day but now he's afraid they're too close to 'seeds and nuts' (are they?), so he no longer eats them. He doesn't like veggies (so no carrot sticks, etc.) He takes cheese strings but everything else seems to be full of sugar (cookies, muffins) or salty and fried (chips, etc.).

Treatment:
May-July 2011 - 6 wks Exclusive EN via NG tube - 2000 ml/night, 1 wk IV Flagyl
July 2011-July 2013 - Supplemental EN via NG, 1000 ml/night, 5 nites/wk, Nexium, 40 mg
Feb. 2013-present - Remicade, 5 mg/kg every 6 wks
Supplements: 1-2 Boost shakes, D3 - 2000 IUs, Krill Oil
06-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
jmckinley

Tess,

I make some muffins with honey instead of sugar. I also get veggie chips/sweet potato chips at the health food store. I am going to try making them myself. I also send leftovers from dinner sometimes...grilled chicken, brown rice, etc... R is 14, so no amount of food is too much for lunch :-)
06-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #19
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Our kids only get to eat at lunch so no snacking here in CT. BUT at swim meets and on weekends....I do make pumpkin muffins (they have sugar in them but I cut it down a lot), bagels, and we also do chicken...when O was healthy ate like a linebacker and her snacks looked like second lunches.
06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Just found a market source for the grass fed meats and dairy...conveniently located within minutes of where my oldest is going to school next year...she will probably like it if I stopped by once a week to say hi
06-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #21
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Suzysu,
How did you bread turn out? I love making bread. My hubby and family love it. Once you master a good white bread recipe their are so many thing you can learn to do with it, like making blueberry cream cheese swirl bread.
YA!!!! To die for or at least become overweight.
My Honey cookie recipe will be on it's way in a day or two.
Farmwife
06-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
yeah and some bread recipes also please...now that we are going unprocessed I realize I have to make my own bread
06-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #23
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We have the double whammy of gluten free AND Crohn's friendly foods. Quite honestly, I'm to the point where I have no idea what to feed him anymore. Any suggestions? He has a stricture, so he's low residue, low fiber... which a gluten free diet is already. Totally open to ideas though!
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
06-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
Tesscorm

My Support Groups:
OMG, I need no more good bread recipes! That blueberry cream cheese swirl bread sounds awesome!

Am looking forward to your honey cookie recipe - going to try making them (and some muffins) with manuka honey!

FWIW - Jerry Seinfeld's wife (forgot her name???) put out a couple of recipe books with 'kid-friendly' foods called Deceptively Delicious. All the recipes included pureed (hidden) veggies and, of the recipes I made, all were tasty. Had actually forgotten about this book as I had used it when the kids were younger (am going to dig it up again!) but, if you can find it, worth having a look. The absolute favourite were the brownies made with spinach!
06-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #25
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Well I am preparing to make some goodies for end of the year parties and converting my sugar content to honey etc...thought you all might find this helpful:

How to Substitute Sweeteners

1. Honey and maple syrup are sweeter than sugar, so use less (about 1/2 3/4 cup) for each cup of sugar.

2. When substituting a liquid for a granulated sweetener (e.g. using honey when the recipe calls for sucanat or brown sugar), for every 1 cup of honey, subtract 1/4 cup of liquid from the recipe (that means also, for every 1/4 cup of honey, subtract 1 Tbsp of liquid).

3. The converse is then, when substituting a granulated for a liquid sweetener (e.g. using sucanat or coconut sugar when the recipe calls for maple syrup or honey), for every 1 cup of sweetener, add 1/4 cup of liquid from the recipe (that means also, for every 1/4 cup of honey, add 1 Tbsp of liquid).

4. If baking with honey or maple syrup, reduce the oven temperature by 25 degrees Fahrenheit, since maple syrup and honey will tend to caramelize and burn faster than granulated sweeteners.

5. Since maple syrup and honey are somewhat acidic, when baking, you will need to add 1/4 1/2 tsp baking soda per cup of honey or maple syrup to the batter so it will rise.

Hope this helps.

BTW Dusty...love your smiley guy on the original post!
06-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
Suzysu

My Support Groups:
Crohnsinct - Thank you so much! that is really helpful - I had been wondering if you could just substitute it in, in place of sugar! - I may try out some fairy cakes made with honey and see what happens!

Farmwife - the bread was ok - the crust was a bit thick and crunchy and it was slightly dense but considering it was a first attempt and once it was in the oven I realised that the yeast went out of date in November last year, and after I finished kneeding it I remembered we don't have a loaf tin it was a surprise that it was even edible!! - Freddy ate some and seemed to like it!!!!

Does anyone use a breadmaker? any tips on what type is good?
06-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I 'm glad you tried. Next time the bread comes out of the oven butter the top it while it's still warm. That will make the crust soft. When you buy yeast, refrigerated after you open it. That helps it stay fresher longer.

Farmwife
06-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #28
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
Suzysu: your culinary adventures continue to entertain. Have you looked up expired yeast and green poo Don't you know I just gave away my breadmaker

I looked up that sucranat mentioned in the above instructions and very interesting...here is some info on that: http://www.livinghealthymom.com/sucanat-benefits/

back to housework...just keep checking the computer for an email from the IBD nurse with the rest of O's results and instructions going forward. O is biting at the bit to know what her first day of food will be like...that is if they don't say extend EN longer...ugh and I will never be able to get my appointments at this rate. Maybe time for pushy NY'er to make a call...but then I won't have an excuse to keep popping on the computer...
06-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
crohnsinct

My Support Groups:
When you buy yeast, refrigerated after you open it. That helps it stay fresher longer.

Farmwife
but not 7 months after the expiration date longer

I just love that picture of Grace...It is like she is laughing at us...cutie patootie!
06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Jmrogers4

We are big on banana bread, I think the kids let the bananas get brown just so I will make it, never lasts more than an hour. In fact Jack as started cutting off a piece and hiding it as soon as I say it is ready so he can have for a snack or with lunch later.
The hidden veggies are always a great idea. I just found out recently and I'm over 40 years old, my mother always put pureed beets in chocolate cake and we all loved it as kids, no wonder my chocolate cake never tastes like hers.
Jack makes dinner one night a week but then he will be 13 in a month that way he gets to choose what he wants/likes and we figure out how to make it with stuff he can eat. Figure as he has to deal with this the rest of his life or until they can find a cure (fingers crossed) I better start now teaching him how to feed himself now.