• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colectomy - Intensive care

Hi,
My brother Justin has had Crohns since he was 19 and he is now 31.He went in for a colostomy 2 years ago and as the site was poorly positioned have had to have more surgery.

Justin went in for a Colectomy 3 weeks ago and due to a fistular (I think) there were complications and since he has been in Intensive Care for 2 weeks with severe sepsis. He has multiple organ failure and is on a respirator,dialysis machine and his abdomen has been left open following the operation.

I am struggling to get my head around what is happening and what all the doctors are saying.Statistics keep being banded around and I have gleamed from the Internet that the survival rate is not good.

If anyone can help with this that would be great and to from people with Crohns who have been through a similar story.

Thanks a loving worried sister.Daisy

Angrybird

Hello Daisy and welcome to the forum, I am sorry to hear that your brother is so poorly at the moment. I myself have had surgery but have not had these complications. I know others here have had surgery that hasn't gone quite so smoothly so hopefully they will see your post and let you know how they got on.

I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he can pull through this, pls keep us updated if/when you can on how he is doing.

Sending best wishes to you and your family.

AB
XX

Thank you everyone for your replies,it feels as if it is a waiting game at the moment. As his liver was suffering but is now getting a little better he is starting to get jaudice but apparently this is a good sign.

They gave Justin a chest x-ray yesterday to check all the tubes are in the correct place I think.He went in for his colectomy 3 weeks ago today,he did have a chest infection when he went in but after all the pre op assessments it was not flagged up.

We were told on Sunday that a food tube had been accidentally put in a cavity in his chest which resulted in his condition deteriorating and having to have a chest drain. They told us the tube was put in June 2nd and it was noticed and removed Sunday 10th June.

There hasn't been a lot of change since Monday and he is still on the respirator and dialysis.We just have to wait xxx

Hi

I am so sorry your brother is having to go through all this & my thoughts are with you & all your family. I know from experience how distressing it is see a family member so ill.

I hope & pray that you see some improvement as the days go on.

My thoughts are with your brother and your family. I pray for his recovery...I haven't had these experiences so I have no advice to offer, but I do work in and out of hospitals and have seen people recover from illness when it didn't seem possible. Hang in there...

Hi Daisy

How is your brother doing? I have been hoping & praying you hear good news regarding his recovery.

Sorry I haven't posted this week,it has been my birthday so a little crazy.

Justin has slowly started to become awake now,he can squeeze people's hands and open his eyes but because of this is becoming aware of his situation which I do not think is going to be very easy at all.

He had to have a lot of blood this week due to a leak in his abdomen and has to go into theatre frequently to have his wound cleaned and dressing changed but they seem to have this under control at the moment.

The doctors have tried him on an oxygen mask to wean him of of e ventilator but this has not worked as yet,but he is definitely doing a little better than he was xxx

Hi Daisy

Thanks for replying & happy birthday week.

I am so pleased that your brother is getting better. It may be a long road to recovery but at least he is travelling in the right direction & he is so lucky to have a loving family round him to help.
Keep us posted & give your brother our very best wishes when you are able.

Last edited:
Thank you for your kind messages,I hope he can be out of intensive care soon.He abdomen is still leaking because of fistulas and he is not able to move any of his limbs or speak.Your support means a lot xxxx