• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Saturated Milk Fats May Raise Risk of Bowel Disorders

Diets high in saturated milk fats, found in processed foods and sweets, may increase the risk of developing immune disorders like inflammatory bowel disease in those who are genetically predisposed, a study of mice found.

About 60 percent of mice fed a diet high in saturated milk fats developed ulcerative colitis, an autoimmune inflammatory bowel disease, within six months, compared with about 25 to 30 percent of the animals who ate a low-fat diet or one high in polyunsaturated fats such as safflower oil, according to research online today in the journal Nature. The severity and extent of the colitis was much greater in the mice fed milk fats than those fed low-fat diets, the study found.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-06-13/saturated-milk-fats-may-raise-risk-of-bowel-disorders.html

Igor: Glad you found my post on Healing well,and you copied off the links,to
this site,since I cannot post links as of yet.
Here are my comments on the complete article.

Ok got the article,too bad cannot link it. Here is what I have read so far,key points.
Wild mice no UC with milk fed diet.
Need to be genetically susceptible,or compromised mucosal barrier function.
Milk diet not immugenic by itself need the bacteria to be present.
Lard not a problem.

Bacterial bloom also seen in MF mice with DSS induced colitis, low fat or PUFA diet less severe UC induced

with DSS.

You need taurine conjugated bile acids to make these grow, and milk fats promote taurine conjugated bile acids.

You can only have this bacteria on a milk fed diet,other wise it does not grow,at least in the things they tried.

Once established these bacteria,whether hydrogen sulfide, and or secondary bile acids,break the mucosal

barrier,leading to immune response and tissue damage.

Really good study. They did not go into which particular fatty acid is a problem,now I start to wonder.

They say that because of their hydrophobicity milk fats promote increased hepatic taurine conjugated bile acids

which are more efficient in emulsification.

Could it be homogenization of milk that is the problem,making it more difficult to digest. They did not go into the actual composition of the materials that were used in the diet, an omission on their part.

Unless referenced somewhere and I have not found it yet.
Will re-read the paper.
Old Mike

Last edited:
Are there any practical recommendations from this study that we can start to follow? I am also rather puzzled that this is cited as a potential cause for the increasing incidence of IBD, how can that be the case when humans have been drinking milks for thousands of years?

JMC: I have written to the authors of this study, concerning humans eating
milk fat for thousands of years. Hopefully they will answer.
IBD started to increase in the USA around 1920,yet the milk and butter consumption was high. But there was an influx of European immigrants into the USA late 19th early 20th century. It would seem that you first need the
wrong genetics,for this to manifest.
Also I was able to track down the diet,the milk fat used is a highly processed form of anhydrous milk fat/butter,where everything is stripped out except the fat.
They say that the taurine conjugated bile made by the liver is due to the hydrophobic nature of the milk fat. I now wonder if the process used to produce the anhydrous milk fat is a problem.
In India they use a lot of ghee,IBD is still low but rising,genetics again,also if you do not eat meat then you have low taurine in your body.
The French of course also eat a lot of milk fat.
But the liver can make taurine from other amino acids.
Mike

Last edited:
I'm thinking that IBD has been around forever, just probably one of those undiagnosed problems sadly. Probably put down to Dysentry or something similar.
Rgds
Grant

kiny

The bacteria this is about is called Bilophila wadsworthia. When you drink / eat milk fats, your body produces bile to break down the fats, and that bacteria is taking advantage of that environment.

Seriously, if you have crohn, avoid MILK!!11, and milk is in a whole lot more than just milk, it's in dairy, in cookies, etc, and it's all garbage. If you need high calorie food there are way better alternatives than eating cookies or garbage.

If it's not this bacteria, it will be MAP or something else, milk produced the way it is made now, without proper pasteurisation, without enough regulation, almost all of it cow's milk instead of goat milk like people used to drink in the past, is nothing but poison. You do not need milk at all to survive.

Sorry, kiny, but I have to disagree with you. Milk might be off-limits for some, or even most, people with Crohn's, but milk and milk products have been life-saving for me. My GI was the one who first pointed this out to me.

When I could tolerate almost nothing else and was losing weight at an alarming rate (to the stage where they were concerned that I might die), he switched me over to a heavily milk-orientated diet, including milk-based shakes, cheese, yoghurt and home-made icecream. Although it did not cure my Crohn's, I stopped vomitting and gradually regained the weight that I had lost.

I just think that we need to be very careful about making definitive statements regarding Crohn's.

It is just observational, about heart disease, and not necessarily on dairy fats, but thought it an interesting article about cultures that eat more saturated fat in their diet have less heart disease.

Additionally a researcher on humans historical diets mentioning that hunter gatherers probably got around 15% of their calories from saturated fats.

It would be interesting to see a break down on IBD diseases in different European countries. The question being do European countries that eat more saturated fatty foods, such as cheese, have less, more, or a typically number of IBD cases?

"Stunning: Saturated Fat and the European Paradox"

http://www.dietdoctor.com/stunning-...unning-saturated-fat-and-the-european-paradox

snippet from Dr. Eenfeldt article:

Wow. This is mindblowing.

Have you heard about the French Paradox? French people traditionally eat a lot of saturated fat, like butter – yet they generally have less heart disease than other populations. A lot of brainpower has been wasted to explain this – do perhaps the red wine protect them?

It’s not a paradox.

Of course, modern science quite clearly shows no connection between saturated fat and heart disease. That’s no secret anymore. But now it gets even more interesting:

I was just shown the diagram above, recently published in the journal Nutrition. It’s based on WHO and FAO statistics over the average intake of saturated fat in 41 European countries in 1998 (the latest available data), and the age-adjusted risk of dying from heart disease. I added some explanations.

More saturated fat, less heart disease

It’s a stunner. The French paradox is actually a French-Swiss-Icelandic-Swedish-German-Austrian-etc.-paradox!

France eats the most saturated fat and has the lowest rate of heart disease deaths in all of Europe.
Switzerland eats second-most saturated fat and has the second-lowest mortality.
The countries eating more saturated fat have less heart disease, period....