• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Oat Bake!

This isn't my recipe but it's such a good one I was surprised to not see it on here (similarily if it is on here and I'm blind, I do apologize!)

While this certainly is "different" it is extremely delicious and very Crohn's friendly. Especially if you have a really hard time maintaining or gaining weight. Note that this requires preperation the night before baking.

Oat Bake

2½ cups Organic Steel-cut or Slow-cooking Oats or Whole Millet
2½ cups Water, to cover grains
1 Tbsp. Raw Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar

5 Eggs
1 can Organic Coconut Milk
1 cup Chopped Dried Apricots, Figs or Fresh Berries (your choice)
2 Tbsp. Maple Syrup, Coconut Nectar or Panela Dried Sugar
Sprinkle of Cinnamon, Ginger or Cardamom

1. Combine the Oats, Water, and Apple Cider Vinegar in a large bowl. Let sit overnight. What this does is "pre-digest" the oats so it is much easier for your body to absorb the nutrients.

2. Pre-heat oven to 375F.

3. In a separate bowl combine whipped eggs, coconut milk, dried/fresh fruit and maple syrup.

4. Grease a large, glass baking dish. Add both the liquid mixter and the soaked oats into the baking dish

5. Stir to combine ingredients.

6. Bake for 45 minutes or until firm and golden on the edges.

7. Serve warm and topped with additional whole food sweetener (maple syrup, coconut syrup or stevia), if desired.

8. Alternatively, cut into squares and place leftovers in Tupperware. Store in the fridge and use leftovers during the week as grab and go breakfast squares!

What I'll do is soak the oats saturday night and make this on the Sunday so I have breakfast for the entire week. I also fry a square in butter and/or coconut oil every morning just because I personally need the extra fat right now, which just makes it all the more delicious. It basically tastes like a very delicious pancake, and it'll help get some (healthy) meat on your bones.

The other great thing is that it is extremely customizable. I like baking blueberries into it but you can do raspberries, or nuts, or put apple slices into it. Add whatever flavour you'd like!