Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Breast Milk for EN Formula?

06-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Breast Milk for EN Formula?

I am just curious if anyone has used breast milk for EN for their child and if it would work?

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
06-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
tots

My Support Groups:
I am not sure the calorie intake would be high enough for an older person?

Diagnosed= 1992 and again Feb 2012 Confirmed with
CT enterography May 2015 !!

Waiting for the ok from my Ins company to restart Remicade. Will also start Imuron to get into remission!
I know it's out there somewhere and I WILL find it!

:
06-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Tots,
I read of one case where someone is using it for an older child. I was actually thinking of it for a younger child with Crohns. Breast Milk does have a lot of calories though.
06-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The thing to consider with breastmilk- is the milk fat calories change constantly for the baby depending on how many times they nurse etc...
so your source may have different values depending on who else they are nursing.
Also in tack proteins pass through breast milk- again this varies upon the mother (defeats the purpose of most EN) could irrate things
One last thing breast milk is very easily disgusted (hence infant usually eat every 2 hours) to use as EN that would mean ALOT of bresatmilk to be supplied by one person. Most milk banks would need a script.
06-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

MLP,
THat all makes sense. I was thinking about it for a toddler that is still nursing would it help in the way EN with formula helps?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Enteral Nutrition & TPN » Breast Milk for EN Formula?