Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Do you consume a lot of french fries, potato chips, and other fried potato products?

View Poll Results: Do you eat a lot of fried potatoes?
Sure do! *crunch* 45 49.45%
Nope! 46 50.55%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

06-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Do you consume a lot of french fries, potato chips, and other fried potato products?

Regarding the information found in this thread, I'm curious how many of you consume a lot of fried potato products. These include anything from potato chips to french fries.

*edit* We'll quantify "a lot" as 3+ times per week.

Thanks!
06-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Mia E

Used to? How much is a lot?!
06-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
David
Co-Founder

Heheh. Fair question! How about three per week or more.
06-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Raleigh

After looking at the results so far, I think you're going to end up with a biased sample for this poll!
06-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Matt loves potatoes but mostly mashed or roasted.

Sarah doesn't eat any fried foods or potato chips.

Dusty.

PS. I put Matt in nope because of the "fried" but should he be in yep?
06-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
chrisnsteph1022

My Support Groups:
I eat hash browns (cooked in a skillet) every weekend (two days) and have french fries once every week or two.
Moderate/severe flare through entire colon 12/2010-10/2012
Lialda, omeprazole, Remicade, Methotrexate, Folic Acid, Questran
Been on Asacol, prednisone, Apriso, Imuran, Entocort and Cimzia
FB support group
06-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
David
Co-Founder

PS. I put Matt in nope because of the "fried" but should he be in yep?
As this poll is for fried, no is correct.

However, in the thread I linked in the first post, I provided a source stating that even peeled potatoes that aren't fried might have a lot of glycoalkaloids.
06-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
KWalker

All the time. Chips and dip, potatoes, fries, you name it.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
06-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
EthanPSU

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I think I eat something fried Chips, fries, tatter tots, every single day
06-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Not terribly often. The smell of potatoes being fried always gave me a headache.

There seems to be a lot of talk about potatoes on the forum David. Do they not contain any B12? :P
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #11
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I eat a lot of potatoes, but usually mashed and occasionally baked whole in the oven. If I get home late and can't be bothered cooking anything else, I do a big bowl of mashed potato with a soft poached egg on top.
06-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
rygon

My Support Groups:
susan2 .. how do you poach eggs?? mine always turn out messy lol
06-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Susan2

My Support Groups:
Hi Rygon

First you need very fresh eggs - the older they are the more the whites spread out and become messy. Frying pan - if not non-stick, a very thin layer of oil or butter; enough water to cover the egg, salt (some people use vinegar to keep the whites tight, but I don't like the taste); bring to a very gently rolling boil and slide in the egg. Spoon the water over the top of the egg from time to time to cook the white. I like the yolks very runny, so as soon as the white is cooked, I slip the egg slice under it, lift and, there you are, the perfect poached egg.

Now you need to go away and practice.
06-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Gra

My Support Groups:
susan2 .. how do you poach eggs?? mine always turn out messy lol
You can buy electric egg poachers at the market. My Son bought me one for Christmas.

Gra
06-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Used to eat a lot of potato chips - was told by my stoma nurse that potato chips would help thicken up my output. Took a while to get over that addiction!
06-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
Gwen pippy

Hi David
I've been wondering about this also. I can only eat a certain type of potato (roosters) and they have to be roasted in a little oil. If I eat new potatoes in their skin or anything fried in animal fat I pay for it for about a week. It has taken me over 20 years to finally say no to french fries but it is well worth it.
06-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
to_neverwhere

I definitely did before diagnosis/prednisone. I try not to now (trying the low-carb thing to keep weight at bay - not helping!), but I'm addicted to potato chips.
06-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #18
PVail

My Support Groups:
Fried food is a trigger for me, so chips are out Im afraid. I hate food diaries !

DX March 2012 IBD - Inflammation of the Terminal Ileum with inflammed appendix
Asacol 800mg 4 x day
Amitriptyline 50mg
Omeprazole 20 mg when needed.
06-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #19
carey

I used to fry mine, lots of oil! But i recently started baking my fries, it still triggers the crohns but not nearly as bad as frying them. I just can't help myself! I absolutely love my fried foods.
Asacol, Prednisone, Imuran, Sulfa meds,
Bentyl, Remicade, Humira, Entocort,
Cimzia, 6 MP
(All failed)
Have not experienced remission yet
CURRENTLY ON:
Suboxone

06-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #20
Tiffany

I love potatos, they are my favorite food. Potato chips are a weakness of mine but I have had to cut back as they cause me a lot of bloating and pain
06-19-2012, 06:14 AM   #21
sammcl

My Support Groups:
I love fries/chips - I have not been able to eat them for months and have probably overdosed the last week!!
06-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #22
ontariomom

nope cant eat any potato chips, or fried foods. Or in fact any foods that have any sort of high fat / grease content. I bake my french fries, and if i want chips i need to eat baked ones.

I miss chips.....i eat alot of crackers instead these days.....
06-19-2012, 07:42 AM   #23
Susan2

My Support Groups:
I had home-made oven wedges tonight with really fresh tail of Australian salmon , which I floured and shallow fried, green beans, fennel/zucchini/ginger and a glass of "Save our Souls" rose. Delicious.
06-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Tummyache

I love white potatoes [as apposed to sweet potatoes], as they are one of my safe foods. I love them mashed, baked, or boiled -or even french fried on occasion. But, I have to be very careful especially eating mashed potatoes, when I don't make them myself, because of the possible dairy added to them by way of milk or butter. I am extremely dairy intolerant -even the slightest bit sets me off. [Sweet potatoes are one of my no-no's because I an fructose intolerant.]
06-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #25
Gra

My Support Groups:
I used to eat french fries and/or potato crisps on at least three occasions week, up until the time of my Crohns diagnosis. Since then I've been very very careful not to go there, and I certainly wont be after reading this information.

Gra
06-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #26
robbo87

My Support Groups:
I eat a bag of crisps every day near enough, i do occasionally eat chips but they dont digest to well and kind of come out my bag half digested.

I love potato wedges but again these can cause problems usually because of the skin.

I think fried food in general is just difficult
omeprozol 40mg
codeine x4
laparimide
ferrous sulphate
folic acid

ileostomy, colostomic mucus fistula stoma. gastostromy after recent surgery

tried, prednisolone, pentasa, azathioprine and infliximab
06-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #27
bangarang

Only roasted, or boiled I stay away from all fried things.
06-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #28
JakeL

I say no. I used to, but I decided to eat healthier.
It's tough, though! Sometimes I can't resist me some french fries....mmm...
06-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #29
Rkpanter

Potatoes, bread, always makes me bloated and yucky.......I can't have dairy so I stay mostly away from Carbos and dairy, soy and Silk stuff....Rosie
06-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #30
Slim Johnson

I eat fried food. Chips, chicken, bacon. Whatever. I do have to be particular on what sort of fried foods. Aside from Lays potato chips, which I will have a modest (~1-2oz) amount three, or so times a week, and I avoid flavored chips due to the MSG. When I cook I am sure to use organic oils, and organic potatoes as well (my wife makes a mean fried potato cake!). When I buy bacon, I get the uncured stuff without nitrates, or nitrites, and organic chicken.

On a bit of a tangent here: One thing suspect that contributes to our inflammation is the Genetically Modified foods. Things like GM soybean, corn, palm, rapeseed oils. Many of the oils used in mass production are made from GM crops. Your average french fry, and potato chip are likely fried in this GM oil.

I have read that some plants are modified to destroy the digestive tracts of the insects that eat them. At one point we had GM tomatoes on the market that were causing lesions in the digestive tracts of people, and it was promptly removed from store shelves. I don't believe that the effects are limited to just insects.. and when you get down to it, most of American beef, and chicken is fed GM grain. Nevermind the fact that cattle are natural grass eaters, whose own digestive systems aren't designed to eat grain.. But I digress, as I am ranting.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Do you consume a lot of french fries, potato chips, and other fried potato products?