Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Drinking Aloe Vera Juice!

06-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
Keepingfaith

Drinking Aloe Vera Juice!

Tonight I took my first 'swig' of aloe vera juice. I'll be the first to admitt, I can't follow a 'strict' diet to save my life due to my busy life style & my family members(to say we are a ACTIVE on-the-go family would be an understatement). My mom & grandparents have mentioned Napolea juice? I'm not impressed by the commercials but I did decide to go to the Health Hut and get some Aloe Vera juice after I went to a CCFA event & a woman's son, who is my age, tried aloe vera juice and after a few weeks he did see some improvement in his bowel movements(he does take Humira also though).

Anyone else tried this long term & have it work? Any other 'natural' drink that helps your tummy? I'm so tired of flaring and not knowing what 'normal' feels like! The woman told me that you need to make sure the aloe vera juice is 'active' because it is only beneficial if it 'active'. Apparently some company tests the aloe vera before juicing it & they make a brand. I can't remember the name.
Entyvio
Prilosec
Protonix
Seasonique
Noritriptyline
Steroid suppositories
Canasa suppositories

Diet: Feeding via J-tube

DX: Crohn's Disease, Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis, Endometriosis, Gastroparesis

Previous Medications:
Remicade- Drug Induced Lupus, Humira, Prednisone,
Entocort, 6MP, Methorexate, Amitriptyline, Asacol, Flagyl, Apriso, Cimzia, Cipro, Sulfasalazine etc. You name it, I've tried it.
06-16-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
rygon

My Support Groups:
theres been quite a bit of talk on the subject but unfortuantely mostly negative. Not sure if it works but theres loads of con artists trying to make a quick buck at this "healthy" alternative

Sorry to say that, if it works for you then i'd like to hear but pls dont expect miracles

Hope for the best
Ryan
06-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Keepingfaith

That is why I'm very reluctant. I'm deffinately not putting a lot of faith into it! I think anyone who advertises this as a "cure all" is a conartist but it can't hurt to try it for a week or two, I guess.

Thanks!
06-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
kiny

aloe vera does lots of things, that have an impact on the disease in some way or another, I have been reading: http://www.pathofysiologie.nl/overig/aloe-vera/847/

Aloe vera passes the small intestine without effect, (maybe there is a topical effect on inflammation), and it gets digested into the big intestine.

Aloe vera causes apoptosis of macrophage within an hour of ingestion. There are 2 sides of the coin to this, a macrophage is like a net, that catches bacteria, killing those nets (and you're doing this by taking Aloe Vera) speeds up the process of destruction of those bacteria, since both the bacteria and the "net" is being killed, but you are also killing empty macrophage that haven't caught any bacteria yet.

The thing that is in Aloe vera that does is Acemannan, when the macrophage gets killed by apoptosis it gives off TNF-alpha and IL-6, cytokine.

If it's good or not depends of what you think crohn is I think. If it's a bacterial infection, helping to kill macrohpage by apoptosis is good, but it does it at the cost of killing other macrophages.

When they apply Aloe Vera topically on a burn wound, it reduces TNF-alpha instead of increasing it, it manages to stop the inflammation because it's stopping cytokine, like TNF-alpha. I think maybe if there is an excess it acts as a mediator.

"natural" stuff often has a real effect just like medicine has...aloe vera has a real effect on crohn since it influences your immune system and TNF-alpha, but if it's good or not, idk.
06-16-2012, 10:14 PM   #5
rygon

My Support Groups:
aloe vera does lots of things, that have an impact on the disease in some way or another, I have been reading: http://www.pathofysiologie.nl/overig/aloe-vera/847/

Aloe vera passes the small intestine without effect, (maybe there is a topical effect on inflammation), and it gets digested into the big intestine.

Aloe vera causes apoptosis of macrophage within an hour of ingestion. There are 2 sides of the coin to this, a macrophage is like a net, that catches bacteria, killing those nets (and you're doing this by taking Aloe Vera) speeds up the process of destruction of those bacteria, since both the bacteria and the "net" is being killed, but you are also killing empty macrophage that haven't caught any bacteria yet.

The thing that is in Aloe vera that does is Acemannan, when the macrophage gets killed by apoptosis it gives off TNF-alpha and IL-6, cytokine.

If it's good or not depends of what you think crohn is I think. If it's a bacterial infection, helping to kill macrohpage by apoptosis is good, but it does it at the cost of killing other macrophages.

When they apply Aloe Vera topically on a burn wound, it reduces TNF-alpha instead of increasing it, it manages to stop the inflammation because it's stopping cytokine, like TNF-alpha. I think maybe if there is an excess it acts as a mediator.

"natural" stuff often has a real effect just like medicine has...aloe vera has a real effect on crohn since it influences your immune system and TNF-alpha, but if it's good or not, idk.
I understand that "medicine" is based on "natural" stuff, but i really dont understand what you said (way too many big words.. sorry). Im assuming you understand this kiny so could you put it in laymens terms cheers
06-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
kiny

Ok, well, Aloe Vera speeds up the process of killing bacteria that are already identified by our immune system.

But by doing this it also increases TNF-Alpha slightly. TNF-Alpha is a cytokine (essential to our immune system) that is likely the cause of inflammation in crohn (why so many crohn medicines are blocking it).

But........the reasons why we have increased TNF-Alpha, could be because we have bacteria, and even though Aloe Vera might temporarily increase TNF-Alpha, it might be helping to destroy the reason why we have extra TNF-Allpha and inflammation, bacteria.
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #7
rygon

My Support Groups:
cheers for that Kiny, So taking it may make us worse short term but better off long term.. do we know how long short and long terms is (ie how long it takes to help?)
06-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #8
kiny

There's no studies I can find on the effect in crohn, I also don't know if Aloe Vera works topically, it's used for burn wounds topically with good effect since it's lowering inflammation. Active Crohn, in the small intestine, is like having tiny inflamed wounds, I have no idea if it has a topical effect or if it only works after absorption in the big intestine. Aloe vera doesn't get processed in the small intestine, but it still touches the gut wall, so maybe it has a topical effect on top of it's effect on macrophages, I don't know.
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #9
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Only stuff I read on it is that it works outside the body but doesn't have the same effect one would expect on the inside of the body. Not enough research for sure but plenty of people getting diarrhea from it still.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
David
Co-Founder

A couple IBD/Aloe Vera studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14987320
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15043514

But yes, there's some con artists out there for sure. It's frustrating that they give what might be an efficacious product a bad name.
06-16-2012, 11:32 PM   #11
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I have had great success with aloe gel when I flare in the past. It seems to really reduce my inflammation. I have been reluctant to use it since I read it is so potent it can perforate the bowel.
06-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #12
Keepingfaith

Thank you guys very much! I'm just trying to get opinions/advice from all sides be it personal, scientific or just plain preferance! I'm very grateful to know I can talk to other Crohnies about this kind of stuff without being brushed off.

@Crabby: I heard the same! It makes sense. The lining of your GI tract is completely different than the lining of your skin. I'm either extremely 'constipated' from inflammation(especially in my rectuum) or having severe Diarrhea, like today. I'm sure some days I won't mind the big 'D'.

@Kiny: Thank you for sharing your research & knowledge! I'm willing to take some risks, my disease honestly can't get much worse than it already is. I'm just waiting for the Cimzia to do it's magic.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Apparently we posted seconds apart from each other

@Notsoguts: Where do you get the gel from?
06-17-2012, 12:14 AM   #13
skippy111

the juice I had seen was made up of cactus juice too, it is called nopaeola juice. the comercial said it was good to fight off inflamation.. I haven't tried it yet but eventually I might try it but Im going to ask my DR first ... I need to find out what is in it and if it will react with my meds.

Crohn's /Anemia DX in 1991
Aspbergers/Depression/ADHD DX 2001

Past meds for crohn's
Prednisone/Azulfadine

Recent Meds While in Hosp for Crohn's/Depression
Flagyl/Cypro,Zofran Protonix, Prednisone, Lovenox
Celexa,Kolonopin, Ritalin
Current meds:
Prednisone,Celexa,Adderall,Kolonopin,Percocet
06-17-2012, 12:33 AM   #14
skippy111

ok, the nopaeola juice is marketed by Trivita, it costs like $114 for 4 bottles, so that made me look into it further,

it is supposed to be cactus juice, but it you look at the product label and read the ingredients... it just looks more synthetic,

especially the vitamins and minerals it has, im skeptical, so if anyone does try it and has positive results id like to hear it..
06-17-2012, 01:58 AM   #15
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I've tried the preservative free whole leaf aloe juice made by the company Lily of the Desert.

I would drink an 8 oz glass a day. I did this for a couple of months. I can't tell you if it helped or not. I was not sure if it did anything at all so I stopped buying it.
06-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #16
sid

Aloe vera definitely works..works on me..please dont use it if yo have slightest of doubt, but if you are already sufering from something like crohn's then there is no reason why you shoudlnt give aloe vera a try. the very reason why you /me or anyone else is discussing that is because Aloe vera has been in discussion thousand of times...and something like that circulates only when there is actually something in it. as they say no smoke without fire. Dont know about the provcess ' how and why it help'..but i started taking it after my ayurvedic doctor prescribed it..since then it has helped me immensely along with the Bottle gourd juice...and ever since I have been on this forum I have asked every one to try aloe vera and bottle gourd and see it for themselves.

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
06-19-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
ontariomom

I have a friend who is very much into the naturopath healing. She is always suggesting several things for me to try. Which as of right now, until i can see my GI i wont try anything. I am so scared of changing anything in my body and having him say, oh its not that bad......

But her father has Crohns and her husband has IBS and they are her biggest skeptics, next to me. lol But after a year of suggestions she says she got both her father and husband to try the aloe vera and she says they both have claimed it has helped. There are many other things she has suggested as well, and id ont remember them. I do have a list somewhere i am sure.

I have often wondered about trying soem more natural medicines but again....i have a hard time trusting anything ....

I do find what everyone says about the aloe very interesting....
06-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
mnsun

I drink aloe from time to time (Lilly of the Desert, whole leaf, organic, in glass), mainly for its supposed ability to increase Vitamins C/B absorption and aid in detoxing metals, but mainly when I go on brief juicing kicks to reset my system/soften stool.

An osteopath I encountered was adamant that Crohn's patients can benefit from (expensive) specific formulations of aloe juices that supposedly contain certain "dalton" ranges of polysaccharides. Some people say it has to be fillet only, others say only a specific range (within tens of thousands of daltons) will benefit specific conditions, others say the higher the dalton range, the more benefits for all therapeutic uses etc...

I took the following info from terrylabs.com (which I don't endorse or condemn) for a general idea of what some people believe:

1.SMALL (Under 50,000 Daltons) 12 - 14% are absorbed and have been shown to aid in:
DIABETES (Type 1 and Type 2) - reduces blood sugar levels in human as well as animal studies, even in the absence of insulin.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
ARTHRITIS
COLITIS - may protect against or reverse these serious inflammations of joint linings and the colon.

2.MEDIUM 50,000 - 150,000 Daltons that have been shown to aid in:
ANTI OXYDANT - Have very potent anti oxidant properties but, unlike drugs, do not interfere with normal functions of cells and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL POLYSACCHARIDES

3.LARGE 150,000 - 1,000,000 Daltons that have been shown to aid in:
ANTI BACTERIAL
HEALING PROPERTIES and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL AND MEDIUM POLYSACCHARIDES

4.VERY LARGE > 1,000,000 Daltons 4 - 5 % are absorbed and have been shown to aid in:
SUPPORT / IMPROVE IMMUNE SYSTEM FUNCTION and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL, MEDIUM AND LARGE POLYSACCHARIDES

*The above according to the IASC.
06-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
Keepingfaith

I had to stop drinking the Aloe Vera Juice. My abdominal pain has gotten worse & now I'm getting sharp pains just after drinking. I do NOT want to stay on Prednisone longer than I have to or go back to the hospital so I'm going to lay off it for a while & try again in a month. I'll probably try another brand also. Just to compare.

I tried it with an opened mind & it didn't give me any benefits. I'm also skeptical about anything that is THAT expensive & claims to be a 'cure all'. When it comes to something 'natural' & you are as sick as I am for as long as I have, you'd consider it.
06-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #20
kiny

Hope you feel better Keeping.

Can you tell us what brand / type you used, thanks <3.
06-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
sid

One very importnat and probably one of the most common benefits of ASloe vera ..is its effects on your skin. It helps even in serious skin problems like eczema.
06-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
Keepingfaith

I used both GNC & some other brand I found at the Health Hut that was supposedly one of the best. Off to another health store I suppose!

Thanks for everything!
08-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Tonight I took my first 'swig' of aloe vera juice. I'll be the first to admitt, I can't follow a 'strict' diet to save my life due to my busy life style & my family members(to say we are a ACTIVE on-the-go family would be an understatement). My mom & grandparents have mentioned Napolea juice? I'm not impressed by the commercials but I did decide to go to the Health Hut and get some Aloe Vera juice after I went to a CCFA event & a woman's son, who is my age, tried aloe vera juice and after a few weeks he did see some improvement in his bowel movements(he does take Humira also though).

Anyone else tried this long term & have it work? Any other 'natural' drink that helps your tummy? I'm so tired of flaring and not knowing what 'normal' feels like! The woman told me that you need to make sure the aloe vera juice is 'active' because it is only beneficial if it 'active'. Apparently some company tests the aloe vera before juicing it & they make a brand. I can't remember the name.
I started drinking 100% organic-inner gel only pure aloe vera juice. (Fruit of the earth) brand form Walmart and it basically cured my crohn's for 5 months till I went away and didn't have any and diarrehea came back. Now I drink it everyday and take Probiotic-multi-enzyme formula made by Spring Valley. Walmart carries it too. I am doing great now. Try It and let me know how you do.
DXD Aug2011 crohn's ,illeum ,colitis too
Was on asacol-failed
was on entocort- worked temp.
cholesterymine for bile acid when needed.
Vit.D3 5000 units 1x day
fisk oil 1000 units 2x day
Biotin for hair loss.
Probiotic-multi-enzyme formula 3 times a day.
Zantac 2x day
Aloe vera juice 1x day

Last edited by 723crossroads; 08-05-2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: spelling
08-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I drink aloe from time to time (Lilly of the Desert, whole leaf, organic, in glass), mainly for its supposed ability to increase Vitamins C/B absorption and aid in detoxing metals, but mainly when I go on brief juicing kicks to reset my system/soften stool.

An osteopath I encountered was adamant that Crohn's patients can benefit from (expensive) specific formulations of aloe juices that supposedly contain certain "dalton" ranges of polysaccharides. Some people say it has to be fillet only, others say only a specific range (within tens of thousands of daltons) will benefit specific conditions, others say the higher the dalton range, the more benefits for all therapeutic uses etc...

I took the following info from terrylabs.com (which I don't endorse or condemn) for a general idea of what some people believe:

1.SMALL (Under 50,000 Daltons) 12 - 14% are absorbed and have been shown to aid in:
DIABETES (Type 1 and Type 2) - reduces blood sugar levels in human as well as animal studies, even in the absence of insulin.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY
ARTHRITIS
COLITIS - may protect against or reverse these serious inflammations of joint linings and the colon.

2.MEDIUM 50,000 - 150,000 Daltons that have been shown to aid in:
ANTI OXYDANT - Have very potent anti oxidant properties but, unlike drugs, do not interfere with normal functions of cells and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL POLYSACCHARIDES

3.LARGE 150,000 - 1,000,000 Daltons that have been shown to aid in:
ANTI BACTERIAL
HEALING PROPERTIES and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL AND MEDIUM POLYSACCHARIDES

4.VERY LARGE > 1,000,000 Daltons 4 - 5 % are absorbed and have been shown to aid in:
SUPPORT / IMPROVE IMMUNE SYSTEM FUNCTION and
ALL OF THE BENEFITS ASSOCIATED WITH SMALL, MEDIUM AND LARGE POLYSACCHARIDES

*The above according to the IASC.
You should never drink the whole leaf type of aloe vera, it is toxic. I read this on many websites awhile back. I use Fruit of the earth brand inner gel and organic only from Walmart pharmacy. It works great for me. Also Probiotic-multienzme formula by Spring valley. Walmart pharmacy. I am doing great now.
08-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #25
skjk3318
Banned

have you tried a glass of distilled water with a half teaspoon of baking soda?
08-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
have you tried a glass of distilled water with a half teaspoon of baking soda?
What does that do? The aloe vera has a long chain of amino acids which we crohn's sufferers lack badly. It helped me with the diarrhea too.
08-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #27
skjk3318
Banned

Sodium bicarbonate is one of your body's main electrolytes. Diarrhea and de hydration you tend to lose all of those and putting a little baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) really helps your body soak up those nutrients and help you re hydrate
08-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #28
mogre

I've tried the preservative free whole leaf aloe juice made by the company Lily of the Desert.

I would drink an 8 oz glass a day. I did this for a couple of months. I can't tell you if it helped or not. I was not sure if it did anything at all so I stopped buying it.
How did you get past the taste????? It is nasty. That is the same brand I just bought. Since none of the mesalamines helped me at all, and I got horrible leg cramps from Entocort, (no longer on it) I decided to do an experiment and take licorice , which I know is a great anti-inflammatory - it's the active ingredient in my facial wash for rosacea -instead of any of the BigPharm meds - and I got my GI doc on board to monitor my kidneys etc for the licorice trial. I'm not using DGL, I cannot chew it, the taste grosses me out - so I am taking regular licorice and getting monitored. Anyhow, I kept hearing aloe vera juice is this wonderful anti-inflammatory, so I bought some, specifically the Lily of the Desert brand because they remove the pith, which is laxative, and who needs that? and I tried it ONCE. Then I tried adding cranberry juice to hide the taste. It is still disgusting. Did you have a trick to mix it with something? I am willing to try it again if there is a way to make it palatable.
08-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #29
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
How did you get past the taste????? It is nasty. That is the same brand I just bought. Since none of the mesalamines helped me at all, and I got horrible leg cramps from Entocort, (no longer on it) I decided to do an experiment and take licorice , which I know is a great anti-inflammatory - it's the active ingredient in my facial wash for rosacea -instead of any of the BigPharm meds - and I got my GI doc on board to monitor my kidneys etc for the licorice trial. I'm not using DGL, I cannot chew it, the taste grosses me out - so I am taking regular licorice and getting monitored. Anyhow, I kept hearing aloe vera juice is this wonderful anti-inflammatory, so I bought some, specifically the Lily of the Desert brand because they remove the pith, which is laxative, and who needs that? and I tried it ONCE. Then I tried adding cranberry juice to hide the taste. It is still disgusting. Did you have a trick to mix it with something? I am willing to try it again if there is a way to make it palatable.
First you dont want the whole leaf, just the inner gel as the leaf has toxins and is very hard on you. I buy the 100% organic inner gel Fruit Of The Earth brand at Walmart. Mix it with grape or cranberry add some stevia to sweeten it.
If you have diarrhea tell you Dr. you want to try Chlosterymine. It gets rid of it like a miracle. Look it up on healingwell.com under cholesterymine for diarrhea. I take it everyday and it works like a charm!!!

Last edited by 723crossroads; 08-30-2012 at 07:11 AM.
08-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #30
Jennifer
Adminstrator

You know when something always gives me diarrhea when I drink it, I usually stop drinking it. That's doing more harm than good.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Drinking Aloe Vera Juice!