Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Manoj Agarwal of Kolkata, India

Old 06-21-2012, 03:07 AM
NameDr. Manoj Agarwal
AddressBelle Vue Clinic. 9, Loudon Street
 Kolkata, India, 700017
 Asia
Websitehttp://www.bellevueclinic.com
Phone+913322872321
BioSupposedly, the best Gastroenterologist in town! He is treating my 13 year old daughter for Crohn's Disease.
 View Directory Entry
06-21-2012, 03:09 AM   #2
ashishbagaria

Hi, we stay in Kolkata, India. Crohn's is still rare in India but Tuberculosis is an endemic here. My Daughter 'Ishi' is 12 yrs. 8 mths old. In August 2011, she had some abdominal issues and slow-fever which got cured within w0 days on it's own. But then her weight had come down from 31 kgs. to 28.5 kgs. Between then and February this year, she seemed fine and didn't have much fever. She was active and led a normal life though she was below-average in weight in built.

In February this year, she again started having slow-fever, etc. Her weight had come down to 25 kgs. She went through a huge number of tests of Stool, Urine, Blood, USG, X-rays, etc. Her ESR and CRP were high which indicated hig inflammation, but did not specify any disease. Even TB was found to be negative. The doctor prescribed a wide-spectrum antibiotic for 1 week. This got rid of her fever and other issues. So, we thought it was some infection which got cured by the antibiotic.

Again in May this year we checked her weight. It showed 23 kgs.! She had fever, diet-loss, etc. We again consulted the doctors and this time they suggested CT Scans and Colonoscopy. Though the scans were clear, they found ulcers in the small intestines. By this time, she also developed Erethyma Nodosums. It could have been TB or IBD, as the symptoms are very similar and TB is more common in India. The Biopsies of her colonoscopy eliminated TB and therefore the conclusion was Crohn's.

The doctor has prescribed small doses of Steroids (Budez) and Pentasa for 10 days. His opinion is that we should start with smaller doses due to the side-affects and then, depending on the response, the dosage would be reviewed. The 10 days will be over tomorrow and we will be meeting the doctor again.

In the 10 days of medication, her fever came down a bit and the frequency of abdominal pain also reduced. But her weight has come down to 22.5 kgs. and a new erethyma nodosum has cropped up, though the old ones have subsided. There is minor improvement in her diet.

In the last two days the fever has risen and even touched 103 deg F. The doctor has prescribed an antibiotic for 5 days. Until now, she was not being given any antibiotic.

We have a few questions for all of you.

1. Should we have started with a small dose and gradually increased it or started with a full dose and reduces it once the inflammation subsided?
2. Is 10 days of medication sufficient to show substantial improvements?
3. How soon should the erethyma nodosum and weight-loss stop?

Since we are new to this and the disease is not very common in India, we are a bit dependent on the research and forums available on the net. Thanks for reading through this and we'll appreciate any help from all of you.

Best Wishes,

Ash

Rating:
4 / 5 Bedside Manner
4 / 5 Knowledgeable
4 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
4 / 5 Ease of accessibility
06-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #3
sid

Hi, we stay in Kolkata, India. Crohn's is still rare in India but Tuberculosis is an endemic here. My Daughter 'Ishi' is 12 yrs. 8 mths old. In August 2011, she had some abdominal issues and slow-fever which got cured within w0 days on it's own. But then her weight had come down from 31 kgs. to 28.5 kgs. Between then and February this year, she seemed fine and didn't have much fever. She was active and led a normal life though she was below-average in weight in built.

In February this year, she again started having slow-fever, etc. Her weight had come down to 25 kgs. She went through a huge number of tests of Stool, Urine, Blood, USG, X-rays, etc. Her ESR and CRP were high which indicated hig inflammation, but did not specify any disease. Even TB was found to be negative. The doctor prescribed a wide-spectrum antibiotic for 1 week. This got rid of her fever and other issues. So, we thought it was some infection which got cured by the antibiotic.

Again in May this year we checked her weight. It showed 23 kgs.! She had fever, diet-loss, etc. We again consulted the doctors and this time they suggested CT Scans and Colonoscopy. Though the scans were clear, they found ulcers in the small intestines. By this time, she also developed Erethyma Nodosums. It could have been TB or IBD, as the symptoms are very similar and TB is more common in India. The Biopsies of her colonoscopy eliminated TB and therefore the conclusion was Crohn's.

The doctor has prescribed small doses of Steroids (Budez) and Pentasa for 10 days. His opinion is that we should start with smaller doses due to the side-affects and then, depending on the response, the dosage would be reviewed. The 10 days will be over tomorrow and we will be meeting the doctor again.

In the 10 days of medication, her fever came down a bit and the frequency of abdominal pain also reduced. But her weight has come down to 22.5 kgs. and a new erethyma nodosum has cropped up, though the old ones have subsided. There is minor improvement in her diet.

In the last two days the fever has risen and even touched 103 deg F. The doctor has prescribed an antibiotic for 5 days. Until now, she was not being given any antibiotic.

We have a few questions for all of you.

1. Should we have started with a small dose and gradually increased it or started with a full dose and reduces it once the inflammation subsided?
2. Is 10 days of medication sufficient to show substantial improvements?
3. How soon should the erethyma nodosum and weight-loss stop?

Since we are new to this and the disease is not very common in India, we are a bit dependent on the research and forums available on the net. Thanks for reading through this and we'll appreciate any help from all of you.

Best Wishes,

Ash
Hi,

sad to know about Ishi. Hope she rcovers soon. I am also from kolkata and I was diagnosed in May this year.been just two minths of diagnosis. Although I never had the symptoms like Ishi's, its understabdable since in crohns the symptoms may vary for individuals..the symptoms that i experienced was , bloated stomach, acid reflux, belching and very rarely breathing difficulty due to toomuch of gas formation. apart fron there was nothing serious. I was also very depressed when I got to know I had crohns desease...was so depressed that i thought, my life was over, more so because the doctors in kolkata were not fully waware of the management of this condition, although they have started to get many crohns and ulcerative colitis patients. I have my crohns at my terminal ileum..thus I have to face many side effects of it as well. ...But thankfully, there are ways you can manage this desease in still lead a normal and a quality life. I suffered from this desease for more than a year..but was diagnosed late, but I started making changes to my lifestyle ever since the problem started thus..today i am in total remission and lead a normal and quality life as i did in the past. so dont lose hope...I know it can be difficult for a kid of 12 years to go through these changes, but in the long run, that will be the best thing for her....you have already taken the fiorst right step by joining this forum.

please open a thread whenever you need any informnation...we'll be more than glad to help you out.

Rating:
3 / 5 Bedside Manner
3 / 5 Knowledgeable
3 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
3 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's since Jan 2011.

No meds.
Diet as per ayurveda.
Vitamin D and B12 shots.
Currently experimenting with Probiotics, starting 2016.
And a large joint mad family, thus stress cant touch me.
11-11-2012, 11:34 PM   #4
sd575

Hi Sid,

Sad to know about you being diagnosed for Crohns. I am originally from Kolkata and now live in California and diagnosed in August this year. Can you please let me know who is the best doctor for Crohns in Kolkata? Also, how is the availability of treatments and medications there?

Rating:
3 / 5 Bedside Manner
3 / 5 Knowledgeable
3 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
3 / 5 Ease of accessibility
12-25-2016, 06:48 AM   #5
akaanshapandey

hi even i m having reflux problem and stomach gets bloated up. i did my endoscopy where the rut came positive nd i have been given medications for that. bt then the symptoms didnt improve so i came back to my hometown. i feel a sort of stomach crmaps also( like akdan) in d stomach. i use to get diarrhoea also under stress now even with cramps i feel d need to feel to go to washroom bt smtyms i go smtyms i dnt. doctor in mumbai said i have no major problems. bt i have been suffering thorough it since past two months. So plz guide. i feel nauseous also. and i have lost 2-3 kgs weight also. I am scared i dnt get Crohn's disease..i m very upset dat at a yound age of 22 i dnt want to get seriously unwell. i am too demotivated.

Rating:
0 / 5 Bedside Manner
0 / 5 Knowledgeable
0 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
0 / 5 Ease of accessibility
03-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
mentalist_ayush

hi even i m having reflux problem and stomach gets bloated up. i did my endoscopy where the rut came positive nd i have been given medications for that. bt then the symptoms didnt improve so i came back to my hometown. i feel a sort of stomach crmaps also( like akdan) in d stomach. i use to get diarrhoea also under stress now even with cramps i feel d need to feel to go to washroom bt smtyms i go smtyms i dnt. doctor in mumbai said i have no major problems. bt i have been suffering thorough it since past two months. So plz guide. i feel nauseous also. and i have lost 2-3 kgs weight also. I am scared i dnt get Crohn's disease..i m very upset dat at a yound age of 22 i dnt want to get seriously unwell. i am too demotivated.
Hi Akansha, initially I also had the exact same problem and had endoscopy and colonoscopy and nothing serious was found..I went to many gastro docs but they said it's nothing major.. probably it's IBS..But I was not able to digest food property and started to loose weight..So again I visited different doctors and hospitals and had colonoscopy for the second time and this time something came up in the biopsy report and the doc said that I may have intestinal TB.so they started the treatment for the same.i took TB meds for 9 months..And during this period the symptoms somewhat improved..But after stopping the meds the symptoms started to come back..So presently I am consulting a senior resident doctor of AIIMS..He thinks it may be crohn's and trying to proove the same by tests..So if you haven't solved/diagnosed your problem till now..I would suggest you to continue visiting different gastro docs until you get a real diagnosis of your problem..if you solved your problem then please give some details about that..As it may help me too..
FYI:I am also only 23 yrs old and suffering from this problem from last 3 years and don't want to live a miserable life..So I am doing what I can to improve my health..Keep fighting keep surviving..

Rating:
0 / 5 Bedside Manner
0 / 5 Knowledgeable
0 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
0 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Manoj Agarwal of Kolkata, India