Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Think I need a new GI..

06-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Think I need a new GI..

I had some bloodwork done this week (at my request). Everything came back normal, except my ferritin, which is low at 13. this was the message I received from my GI today:

Your bloodwork showed that your iron stores are slightly low. This may be a result of menstrual bleeding. You may want to consider a multivitamin with iron, or incorporating slightly more red meat in your diet.
I don't think red meat is the answer, especially since I'm in the middle of a flare (was just diagnosed with Crohn's a couple weeks ago). I know there are tons of other ways to get iron, which I'm already doing (I drink 2 green smoothies a day using spinach). Also, I highly doubt it's due to my menstrual periods as my periods are light, I've never been anemic, and.. oh yea.. I have bleeding ulcers in my ileum.

Am I overreacting or is it time to look for a new GI?
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Raleigh

Well if you have bleeding ileal ulcers, one would think your doctor would point to that instead of menstruation. In terms of possibly looking for a new GI, what is he doing for your Crohn's? Does he have a plan to help you, or is he not taking things as seriously as you would like? If not, it might be time to find a new GI. I have always felt that it is very important to have trust in your doctor.

Brian
06-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
Was the message actually from the GI, or someone in their office?

If it was someone in the office, that's probably the general, covers-it-all sort of message they relay to anyone with low iron. If it was the GI, I'd be confused, too. It sounds like they just picked up the phone without glancing over your chart and putting some thought into what would be best for you and your specific situation.

Like Brian said, I'd take into consideration what else the GI is doing for you and how attentive they generally are. If you have other issues, a new GI might be more helpful to you.

I hope things get better for you soon!
06-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Polaris

My Support Groups:
It was directly from him. It seems like I have to ask for my own care. He's started me on Entocort for 8 weeks, and when I brought up a maintenance med in addition/afterward, he shrugged it off and basically said we'll see. I had to initiate this bloodwork, and had to call twice to get orders for things he forgot to order, that we previously discussed. He said he would check me for Hep B in case I needed other medication in the future, still has yet to put that order in.

I don't feel confident that he cares enough for me in particular. I think I will start searching for a new Dr.
06-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
SarahBear

My Support Groups:
None of that sounds very comforting! I think you're right to look for a new GI. We definitely need doctors we can trust and feel comfortable with. I'm considering finding a new one for those reasons, too.
06-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Raleigh

You shouldn't have to initiate your own testing and treatment. Definitely time to find a new GI. He should be much more attentive and involved.
06-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
LovelyJess; I've had same issue and traded in my old GI for a new and improved version. You don't need a doctor who is forgetting things...I call that "suffering from TMP" too many patients. Find a new GI --- ask a medical professional for a good doctor.
Doc:"chubby=not Crohns"
GI #1: Pillcam, DX Crohns Humira ordered
GI#2: NOT Crohns; cancel Humira. pillcam stuck X6 wks! RX Entacort!
11/2012 ER SM bowel stricture resection/GB
GI#3: End Entacort. RX Pentasa! Flu symptoms. joint pain follow-neg RA
4/2013 Prometheus Positive/Crohns
Markers flat post surgery
Chronic Arthritis
No Crohns symptoms
On Pentasa
06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Polaris

My Support Groups:
Thank you all I'm switching asap.
06-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #9
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Best of luck to you. You deserve a good physician.
06-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
Mom2Two

Yes, I think if you have to ask for tests to be done, you have already answered your own question!
The iron thing though, I have Anemia. Green tea in any form thins your blood. It's good for you, helps you lose weight, etc etc, but it thins your blood. I'm not sure about where you are, but here, you can get an iron supplement over the counter or at any health food store. Give that a try, might be worth it for you!
06-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Vitamin E seems to be doing that to me.
06-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #12
chickadees

My Support Groups:
I'm struggling with the same/similar issue with my GI... I requested that he check my ferritin level but he didn't include it with my lab order! I had to request my GP to order the lab, which turned out low. He did order a stool study by my request and didn't even discuss the results: Blastocystis Hominis.

No information was provided to me when he told me I had Crohn's a few weeks ago. He told me to look online! He prescribed Entocort for about 8 weeks and mentioned that it could be used for maintence although from what I've read it's not recommended. I'm so frustrated although there's not many Board Certified Gastroenterologists in my area.
06-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Sparkle2012

My Support Groups:
Well, nobody could be worse than this guy eh?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Think I need a new GI..