• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First colonoscopy in 13 years

M

manatee

Well, I got the first colonoscopy I've had since 1995 and I guess there's good news and bad news.

The most shocking good news is that my colon actually looked pretty good!

Bad news is it appears the bad part of my Crohn's started where my small intestine meets the large intestine. Well, I had a coloectomy in 95, so that's where things didn't look so good.

I was a bit out of it, but believe he said the opening in that area wasn't very big - about the size of whatever instrument he had in there which I think was about the diameter of a pencil.

They are recommending I start either Humira or Remicade. Seems like I remember hearing the figure of $40,000 a year in medical expenses for this. :( :(

I do have insurance, but no idea how much will be covered.

Anyway, just needed to vent a bit.... a bit depressed to say the least!

Anyone have a preference between the two? Which do you like better - Humira or Remicade?

:ybatty:

Also, here's an inspiring story for anyone out there feeling down and out:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400984,00.html

GoJohnnyGo

One Badass Dude
Yeah, I'm looking towards all that stuff too myself after an extended Crohn's hiatus. Not looking forward to it, but hey, you gotta do what ya gotta do. Minor temporary discomfort beats feeling crappy all the time hands down.

I had a reaction to Remicade and I am now on Humira. So I have to say that I like Humira better although some people said that they haven't had much luck with it after about four months. I have been on it for over nine months I think now and I am doing pretty good with it, well if you don't count my recent flare due to stress.

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
I have been on Remicade since May/June 07 and the ulceration has healed in my terminal ileum. It was very bad and I am impressed. However.... my gastro cons thinks I still have microscopic inflammation that flares badly 10-14 days pre remicade infusion despite being on it 6wkly now since Dec 07. Have never been able to nail it to the extent where I feel good all the time. I generally manage 2-4wks overall.

I find that if the infusion hits me hard on the day and the few days after with exhaustion then I pick up fast and have some really good weeks. If it doesnt have that impact then I just seem to bumble along and dont really pick up for a couple of weeks post infusion. Does that make ANY sense??

The only problems I have had with remicade has been extreme tiredness and being cold at some point during it and my blood pressure usually drops during that time too.

The drawbacks are that you are in hospital for 3-4hrs for the infusion and obs and preparation for it (i.e. blood tests taken and cannula put in, infusion made up). On the flip side everything is done for you and it can make a huge difference gut wise.

Yes there are risks with every drug we take but each weighs up their own thoughts and feelings. For me it has made a huge difference. I am a brittle/unstable asthmatic and the remicade has meant I have been able to reduce meds and not had an admission for asthma since Oct 07! I also have a skin problem called hidradenitis suppurativa which causes boils and abcesses that need surgically drained. The remicade has vastly improved this too.

My asthma and dermatology cons both tell me that their fields of medicine are researching anti TNF therapy and getting good results so they are watching me with interest! I am also under Rheumatology now for what they think is either Rheumatoid Arthritis or Enteropathic Arthritis (related to crohns) and they use Remicade too.

As you can see for me it has been swings and roundabouts but overall vast improvement on several aspects so perhaps because it has to work so hard for me I wont get full results right across the board...

On the Humira front the others can tell you what they think. Hope my wafflings help and you get some relief soon.

Last edited:
I've never been on Remicade, but am on Humira since April 1, 2008. It is not controlling my symptoms on it's own, so azathioprine (Imuran) was added about 6 weeks ago. If the combination doesn't work in another month or 2, I'll probably be switching to something else. I opted for the Humira because of the ease of doing it at home and not having to go in every 8 weeks and be there for several hours and have to have a driver because of the Benadryl (makes me very sleepy). Yes, the Humira is very expensive (I'm sure the Remicade is, too). Even with my insurance, the injections cost me $100 a month. After I had been on it for a couple of months, I got some information in the mail from Humira about a program they have called "Co-Pay Plus." This gives me 6 months' worth of the Humira for free, then the next 6 months for $50. Then they said it "might" start over again, bu I would have to check at that time. Not sure if the coverage is the same for everyone or not, but it's definitely worth checking into!

Good luck with your decision and with getting some relief!