Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Is being vegetarian possible?

06-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
RFarmer

Is being vegetarian possible?

Can I do it? I know there's tons of people who're gonna say "yeah probably, just eat lots of lentils"...

I actually want to plan out a diet.

I need protein, because I need to get in shape.

But I can't force myself to eat meat anymore.

wat do
06-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
AlliRuns
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For a perfectly healthy normal individual, yes, being vegetarian is possible. When you add diseases of the digestive tract to the mix, then it becomes a matter of what you can tolerate and what you can't.

I can't tolerate beef or pork, so I tried cutting out meat all together for awhile thinking it would make me feel better. My problem was, there are so many things that vegetarians rely on to get their protein that my body doesn't tolerate, i.e. Quinoa, tofu, nuts and seeds, beans, and the list goes on. Quinoa was by far the worst experiment ever, highly digestible, as if.

My suggestion is try it and see what your body will tolerate.
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
MommaZ

You could try juicing - have found that I can tolerate fruits and vegetables better if they are juiced. Always eat your fruit in the morning for breakfast, that way it's not sitting in your tract on top of other food. If it does that it will start to ferment before you can digest maybe something like starch or proteins. Hope this helps
06-26-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
marjory2020

I agree with what AlliRuns said. It's a lot more complicated when you add Crohn's into the mix! There's also different types of vegetarians, too, there's even flexitarians who can eat meat (though of course it's only very sparingly). And there's more than just protein that your body takes from meat. I would also say to do research on a sample vegetarian diet and then compare it to what you body can take. Good luck!
06-26-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
bangarang

Yes its possible, read up on the Dr McDougall program he promotes a vegan diet, some of the people on that board have crohns/colitis and found good success with his diet. Its basically low fat, high carb vegan diet.
06-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #6
hugh

My Support Groups:
do you want to go Veg for ethical reasons or for health reasons?

-if for ethical reasons
how about eating less meat but of better quality from ethical free range suppliers?

-if for health reasons , there are better diets for crohn's (in my humble opinion)
protein that doesn't cause 'leaky gut' will be a problem - fermented organic tempeh should be ok, eggs and hard yellow cheese, not much else
there are plenty of sources of carbs and fats that don't lead to intestinal permeability (leaky gut). tubers (not potatoes though), vegetables, avocados, coconut, olive oil

I've found that avoiding certain foods is the key to remission for me,
Most of those foods are staples of the vegetarian diet (grains, legumes, seed oil)
Paleo vegetarian would be almost impossible

Last edited by hugh; 07-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.
06-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Sarah is solidly in remission but she has successfully been vegetarian and has now moved onto to being vegan and raw vegan. It goes without saying that everyone is highly individual when it comes to diet and I know what works for Sarah would be agony for others. She also juices daily but only vegetables as she has significantly reduced the amount of sugar in her diet.

Dusty. xxx
06-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
livegreen

Yes its possible, read up on the Dr McDougall program he promotes a vegan diet, some of the people on that board have crohns/colitis and found good success with his diet. Its basically low fat, high carb vegan diet.
Hi, glad you mention this.

Dr. Mc dougal, and Dr.Fuhrman both recommend a Vegan diet. They both based their diets on "The China Study", recently they made a movie: Forkes Over Knives, another movie " Fat Sick and Nearly dead illustrates how Joe gets rid of his Chronic Autoimmune symptoms following Dr.Fuhrman's protocol.

I hated most meat(I only like ribs and heavily seasoned meats). The problem was I had so much abdominal pain, constipation, hemorrhoids, gas and bloating.
Once I started eating according to Dr.Fuhrmans protocol, I have been doing so much better.
Dr.Mcdougal, bases his diet on Starches, He wrote the Starch Solution, Dr.Fuhrman basis his diet on Nutrition. He encourages people to eat high nutrient foods like Kale. He explains all this in his book" Eat to Live".

It is really easy to do, because it is soooo worth it.
Good Luck
06-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #9
RFarmer

Hi, glad you mention this.

Dr. Mc dougal, and Dr.Fuhrman both recommend a Vegan diet. They both based their diets on "The China Study", recently they made a movie: Forkes Over Knives, another movie " Fat Sick and Nearly dead illustrates how Joe gets rid of his Chronic Autoimmune symptoms following Dr.Fuhrman's protocol.

I hated most meat(I only like ribs and heavily seasoned meats). The problem was I had so much abdominal pain, constipation, hemorrhoids, gas and bloating.
Once I started eating according to Dr.Fuhrmans protocol, I have been doing so much better.
Dr.Mcdougal, bases his diet on Starches, He wrote the Starch Solution, Dr.Fuhrman basis his diet on Nutrition. He encourages people to eat high nutrient foods like Kale. He explains all this in his book" Eat to Live".

It is really easy to do, because it is soooo worth it.
Good Luck
Most of those sound like things I should AVOID with crohn's. Is the diet actually tailored for IBD, or is it just one of those "yeah my diet is so good it'll cure cancer and bring down the moon" kinda things?
06-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
hugh

My Support Groups:
"The key to treating autoimmune illnesses is to obey the
H = N/C formula. Only then can the immune system begin to normalize its haywire circuitry. - Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Eat to Live"

hmmm, health = nutritional density divided by calories,

might do you some good for a while, if you want to loose weight that is.

"Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Dietary Protocol for Autoimmune Disease

High-nutrient, vegan diet (no dairy), rich in green vegetables
Blended salads/smoothies and blended soups (utilizing leafy greens) to increase absorption of phytochemicals
Fresh vegetable juice (carrots, beets, parsley, kale, and other greens)
High-dose fish oils or plant-derived EPA and DHA (fish oil is best for autoimmune sufferers)
Beneficial bowel flora (A very potent one he recommends is VSL #3)
Natural anti-inflammatory herbs such as turmeric, quercetin, ginger, and bioflavanoids
Multivitamin/mineral, plus additional vitamin D supplementation
Supervised water-only fasting, used periodically, if necessary
Dietary avoidance of salt, wheat, and oil

(source: Dr. Joel Fuhrman's Healthy Times newsletter, November 2004) "

-The multivitamins will give you some of what your missing out on by not eating meat
-hard to follow on crohn's
-the big points are - no wheat, no veg oils, no sugar, lots of fresh (green) veg, so i'd give it 7/10 - better than most.
06-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
RFarmer

It just seems to me that it's a diet tailored to be good for you, ignoring the intricacies of IBD. It's like... Eat brocolli all day every day, because it's good for you. And of course, because it's good for you, it MUST help your immune system. So it MUST help IBD patients..
06-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #12
livegreen

It just seems to me that it's a diet tailored to be good for you, ignoring the intricacies of IBD. It's like... Eat brocolli all day every day, because it's good for you. And of course, because it's good for you, it MUST help your immune system. So it MUST help IBD patients..
Oh no nothing like that, I actually do not like broccoli.
The reason Dr.F recommends high nutrient food does a lot more to our body then lose weight. For people who need to lose weight there is a different protocol.

I read his book: Eat to Live, saw him on PBS, then I joined his website. There is a similar member support website like this one, there are Newsletters about IBD, Arthritis, Diabetes etc... There is a small fee for that. If you pay more then you get to Ask the Doctor, so people prescribe for a short time to that, get all there questions answered and then go back to the lower fee membership.
People have joined from all over the world. He is not going to tell you eat broccoli and I promise you the moon. There are recipes on the website, and there is a whole community helping out with support for creating healthy delicious meals.
I am doing so much better that I feel like I got my life back, I am pretty much in remission, I take no medications for Crohn's, and have not for one year. I can't say that I was the whole year symptom free, I had one bad flare due to a long water fast that I should not have done, but I consulted with Dr.F and all I took was high doses of fish oils and VSL#3. In the past I was on many meds, I had terrible side effects.
I ate according to his Crohn's Protocol, just as Hugh wrote. He does go more into depth about how to prepare your food depending on the fact whether you have blood in your stool and or how many times you go to the
You can always read his book, email him and decide then.
I wish you all the best.
06-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #13
hugh

My Support Groups:
is this why the vegetatian diets of these people will work for a while?

DEAN ORNISH , MD: Limits sugar, corn syrup, white flour, margarine, vegetable oil, alcohol and any processed food with more than two grams of fat. Program involves smoking cessation, peer support, stress management and exercise.

CALDWELL ESSELSTYN, MD: Forbids vegetable oils, refined grains, white flour, and products made from enriched flour such as bread, pasta, bagels and baked goods. Uses statins to bring patients' cholesterol levels below 150.

JOHN MCDOUGALL , MD: Limits white flour, refined grains, sugar-coated cereals, soft drinks, processed carbohydrates, fruit juice and vegetable oils.

NEAL BARNA RD, MD: Forbids vegetable oils, high-glycemic foods, high fructose corn syrup, caloric sweeteners and fried starches like potato chips and french fries.

JOEL FUHRMAN , MD: Excludes refined foods, including vegetable oils.

Getting rid of empty and refined foods, especially vegetable oils—the common denominator in all these plant-based prescriptions—will make for improvements in almost everyone. But long term, without nutrient-dense animal foods, deficiencies will emerge.

source
http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetari...ina-study-myth
06-29-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
livegreen

is this why the vegetatian diets of these people will work for a while?

DEAN ORNISH , MD: Limits sugar, corn syrup, white flour, margarine, vegetable oil, alcohol and any processed food with more than two grams of fat. Program involves smoking cessation, peer support, stress management and exercise.

CALDWELL ESSELSTYN, MD: Forbids vegetable oils, refined grains, white flour, and products made from enriched flour such as bread, pasta, bagels and baked goods. Uses statins to bring patients' cholesterol levels below 150.

JOHN MCDOUGALL , MD: Limits white flour, refined grains, sugar-coated cereals, soft drinks, processed carbohydrates, fruit juice and vegetable oils.

NEAL BARNA RD, MD: Forbids vegetable oils, high-glycemic foods, high fructose corn syrup, caloric sweeteners and fried starches like potato chips and french fries.

JOEL FUHRMAN , MD: Excludes refined foods, including vegetable oils.

Getting rid of empty and refined foods, especially vegetable oils—the common denominator in all these plant-based prescriptions—will make for improvements in almost everyone. But long term, without nutrient-dense animal foods, deficiencies will emerge.

source
http://www.westonaprice.org/vegetari...ina-study-myth

Dr.Fuhrman differs in his opinion that his diet calls for high nutrient foods, like GOMBS: Greens, Onions, Mushrooms, Beans and Berries and Seeds.
If you eat less then 6 ounces of meat per week, then there is no evidence that it contributes to disease.
Dr.F does allow meat, just less, his diet is based on "The China Study" by Dr.Camble. if a person has Crohn's then it is better not to eat any meat except fish when Crohn's is under control.
Where as Mcdougal basis his diet on Starch. his diet is Vegan. if you take a vitamin B12 supplement then you do not need meat. You can take a supplement for vitamin D, and Zink. You can eat sea weed for iodine.

I personally take fish oils which is recommended by Dr.f for ppl with Crohn's.
I am not sure what the danger is in trying something even if it helps for a while, where I know that there are thousands of people whom have been helped. Dr.F has helped many ppl with IBD. I do not see why I should be eating a lot of meat when I see so many ppl around me getting sicker by the day. The amount of meat most ppl eat is horrific.
Also if I get relief for a while, then that is better then never. If a person continues eating a SAD diet( standard American diet) then you can bet that that person will only get sicker.
if you eat vegan cookies you are a vegan, but not healthy, because there is not much nutrition in a cookie, if you make GOMBS the majority of your diet then your body will heal.
Any way I think if any of you would read "Eat to Live" then you can make up your own mind.
BTW I think that Dr.dean Ornish was on to something with reversing heart disease but Dr.f takes it to a higher level.
P.S: Having the right bacterium balance in the gut is crucial. So taking a powerful Probiotic is essential.
06-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #15
hugh

My Support Groups:
-I am not sure what the danger is in trying something even if it helps for a while, where I know that there are thousands of people whom have been helped. Dr.F has helped many ppl with IBD.
-I do not see why I should be eating a lot of meat when I see so many ppl around me getting sicker by the day.

P.S: Having the right bacterium balance in the gut is crucial. So taking a powerful Probiotic is essential.
I agree with you, you have to try things to see what helps you, and as i said, these vegetarian diets will help, - not necessarily because they are vegetarian, but because they avoid harmful foods and emphasise nutrient rich foods.
Almost anything is better than the SAD diet.

The china study has already been thoroughly debunked as poor science and gross misrepresentation of data, but people will believe what they want to believe. (Myself included) - for example
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/c...e-china-study/
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...IQWHh_c0DODuAA
There is something Very wrong with how meat is 'produced' at every step of the process and it is making meat unhealthy but that is that same as your 'vegan cookies'.
Corn fed, steroid and antibiotic rich, wallowing in it's own excrement, and factory slaughtered - not good

I TOTALLY AGREE - the right bacterium balance is crucial,
Once again -for me it's more about what you don't eat than what you do eat,

I'm all for eating fresh unprocessed nutrient rich foods, I think we agree more than we disagree, but meat isn't the problem (modern meat production is a part of the problem)

Last edited by hugh; 06-29-2012 at 11:46 PM.
06-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #16
livegreen

Yes I agree that we agree
I saw the movie: Fast Food Nation and Food inc. I decided right then and there if I ever eat meat again, it would be from organic animals. Although I can not say that I would want to go back to eating meat now.
I first want to see where this Nutritarion diet takes me. So far I have had great progress, I am not 100% symptom free. I wish. I still suffer from Arthritis due to Crohn's.
I think that I am doing the right thing for myself now.
I guess the question on the thread was is this doable? I would say yes, for me it was easy. I was so sick, and had suffered for so long that excluding a few things and adding many nutritious foods to my diet was an easy decision. I had nothing to lose.
I was so happy to see that I could enjoy vegetables that normally would rot in my fridge, waiting for me to say okay now I can throw this away.
06-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
kiny

If you go on a vegetarian diet you're going to either need to supplement or use soy. It's the only way to get your protein and B12 without resorting to meat or dairy. A veggy diet is very lacking in protein.
06-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #18
RFarmer

If you go on a vegetarian diet you're going to either need to supplement or use soy. It's the only way to get your protein and B12 without resorting to meat or dairy. A veggy diet is very lacking in protein.
> a veggy diet is very lacking in protein

> use soy

hehehe. Soy is a veggie!

But I get what you mean.
06-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
hugh

My Support Groups:
soy,
there's a huge can of worms,
For every dozen websites telling me how toxic soy is, there are at least a dozen telling me how wonderful it is, and it probably won't be beneficial to bog down the debate too much.
Like wheat, soy wasn’t eaten by people until agriculture was developed. Even then, soy wasn’t eaten by people until about 3000 years ago when the Chinese learned to ferment it.

I found this article to be fairly balanced, in that most articles are vehemently pro or anti soy, whereas this raises the issues without going into too much scientific detail (which you can research for yourselves) and without too much scaremongering
http://www.greenlivingonline.com/article/dangers-soy

for those who want to consume soy the "cornicipia institute" has done a great study into organic soy and sorts out the real organic soy from the greenwash brands cashing in on the premium that people are willing to pay
"Part II also exposes the natural soy industry’s “dirty little secret”: its widespread use of the chemical hexane. Hexane is used to process nearly all conventional soy protein ingredients and edible oils and is prohibited when processing organic foods."
http://cornucopia.org/soysurvey/Orga...olor_final.pdf

eden foods, who received the highest rating in the cornicopia report have their own webpage listing the 'myths' about soy and explaining how some may be true for other producers, but not them
http://www.edenfoods.com/articles/vi...articles_id=80

for those interested in the "What's Wrong With Soy" side of the fence try this one (picked from hundreds because i like the guy)
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/dangers-soy/

From my point of view (Crohn's) - soy is a legume which is high in saponins, a compound that has been linked extensively to intestinal permeability, and without 'leaky gut' you don't have crohn's.

for other sources of leaky gut - http://en-gb.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=91579122972

I'd only eat organic fermented soy products (Tamari. Natto, Tempeh), and then in moderation

Last edited by hugh; 06-30-2012 at 11:06 PM.
07-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
hugh

My Support Groups:
for those who chose to eat grains,
an article about the difference between traditional grain preparation and modern grain processing,

some excerpts
"But many healthy societies consume products made from grains. In fact, it can be argued that the cultivation of grains made civilization possible and opened the door for mankind to live long and comfortable lives. Problems occur when we are cruel to our grains—when we fractionate them into bran, germ and naked starch; when we mill them at high temperatures; when we extrude them to make crunchy breakfast cereals; and when we consume them without careful preparation."

"Animals that nourish themselves on primarily on grain and other plant matter have as many as four stomachs. Their intestines are longer, as is the entire digestion transit time. Man, on the other hand, has but one stomach and a much shorter intestine compared to herbivorous animals. These features of his anatomy allow him to pass animal products before they putrefy in the gut but make him less well adapted to a diet high in grains—unless, of course, he prepares them properly. When grains are properly prepared through soaking, sprouting or sour leavening, the friendly bacteria of the microscopic world do some of our digesting for us in a container, just as these same lactobacilli do their work in the first and second stomachs of the herbivores."

http://www.westonaprice.org/food-fea...to-your-grains
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM   #21
RFarmer

Well, thanks for all your input guys, but it's left me at another question...

what the hell am I supposed to eat?

No sugar, ok. No oil, ok. Less meat? Well, I wanted to be veg anyways. No grains? Wut?

That leaves:

veggies
fruit

Of which most are known to not be good for us.

I'm just gonna start eating dirt.
07-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
hugh

My Support Groups:
i'm not a veggie (i was for 10 years though) but it's not that bad,
Sweetners (in moderation)
Raw Honey, Maple Syrup, traditionally made Agave Nectar (Miel de Agave), Sorghum Syrup, Coconut Sugar, Palm Sugar, Molasses, Date Sugar, Cane Sugar, Fruit Juice, Muscovado and Sucanat are also natural sugars – but, again, no sweetener is the healthier choice, even if they are natural!.
Oils
High Heat/Frying/Browning
Coconut oil
Palm Oil
Ghee (clarified butter)
Medium Heat/Light Sauteing
Olive Oil
Sesame Seed Oil
Hazelnut Nut Oil
Pistachio Nut Oil
Low Heat/Baking
Pumpkin Oil
Sunflower Oil
No Heat
Fish Oil
Flax Seed Oil
Cod Liver Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Oils Mentioned Above
Grains
No Wheat, but as my previous post said other grains should be prepared properly, not some 'shit in a box' breakfast cereal.
The same applies to legumes

Fruit and Veggies are the basis of a vegetarian diet.

"I'm just gonna start eating dirt."
Interesting - (not a recommendation, please don't eat dirt )
-"UK scientists suggest that a type of friendly bacteria found in soil may affect the brain in a similar way to antidepressants."
-"Beneficial soil and plant based microbes used to be ingested as part of food grown in rich, unpolluted soil. However, for the last 50 years we have been sterilizing our soil with pesticides and herbicide"
07-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #23
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
I know everyone tolerates foods differently, but for me, I started working with a health coach a little over a year ago, began eliminating sugar, gluten (to see if that helped at all), dairy, and yes, meat also....I do however eat good quality fish and alaskan salmon and some tuna fish occasionally..I sprinkle hemp seeds on my salads for protein, eat quinoa (works okay for me) for a perfect protein and drink almond milk smoothies with frozen bananas, sugar free peanut butter and a little cocoa...I eat larrabars for mid morning snacks at work, millet bread toasted with earth balance butter...I'm tolerating most of this okay....I still have a few things I can't part with though, but overall I feel better with this lifestyle.
07-08-2012, 02:01 AM   #24
hugh

My Support Groups:
a very good reason for going veg (or eating quality grass fed meat)
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...20708_SNL_MS_1
"Chicken litter, a rendered down mix of chicken manure, dead chickens, feathers and spilled feed, is marketed as a cheap feed product for cows"
"....about one-third of the chicken litter concoction is spilled feed, which includes cow meat and bone meal often used to feed chickens......"
did anybody say "mad cow"?
07-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #25
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
David Klein has a book about being veg with crohns disease.
07-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #26
KatyBuckeye

I was vegetarian for several years until a few weeks ago. I was just diagnosed with Crohn's (less than a week ago), but even before my official diagnosis, I started eating homemade chicken soup because I had a feeling that my body craved and needed it. Since my diagnosis, I've done a lot of research into dietary means of controlling symptoms. I've decided to go with the SCD diet. While I've read that some people do adapt it in order to be vegetarian, I personally think that it would be far too hard. My own vegetarian diet was very heavy into whole grains and legumes and I believe that contributed to my body's inflammatory state. I was vegetarian for mostly ethical reasons because of the meat production means in this country. I'm going with buying organic, grass-fed meats and trying to reconcile that a bit. Good luck if you do decide to try a vegetarian diet- keep us updated on how it is working for you.
07-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #27
livegreen

I know everyone tolerates foods differently, but for me, I started working with a health coach a little over a year ago, began eliminating sugar, gluten (to see if that helped at all), dairy, and yes, meat also....I do however eat good quality fish and alaskan salmon and some tuna fish occasionally..I sprinkle hemp seeds on my salads for protein, eat quinoa (works okay for me) for a perfect protein and drink almond milk smoothies with frozen bananas, sugar free peanut butter and a little cocoa...I eat larrabars for mid morning snacks at work, millet bread toasted with earth balance butter...I'm tolerating most of this okay....I still have a few things I can't part with though, but overall I feel better with this lifestyle.

This is what I have been doing, except that I take fish oil supplements instead of eating the fish. It has worked really well for me.
07-18-2012, 02:25 AM   #28
lager87

Ive been a vegetarian for 16years and was diagnosed with crohns not long ago. I get protien from dairy (cottage chesse is loaded with protien and is low in calories). Also, the imitation meats by morning star are pretty good. Last, there are plenty of protien drinks out. My fav is muscle milk (also the lowest in calories for the highest protien content). I was even told for several months that I couldnt eat raw veggies d/t a severe stricture. I found ways around that too, just had to get creative. For example, I made a "salad" using all the yummy ingredients in a salad except the lettuce (hard boiled eggs, shredded cheese, croutons, etc) and added the dressing. Hope some of this helps.
07-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #29
Twinks

I guess we're all like a unique individual ecosystem. No single diet can possibly suit our individual needs. I'm taking a little from all the diet suggestions available. Trial is where I am determining my individual discrimination. It's a bummer though cause one day I can eat tomato sandwiches and the next, the bread had too much corn syrup or gluten or what ever evil ingredient it is that drives my intestines into a fit or the tomatoes too much fiber. What a nightmare! Fit for Life, by Harvey Diamond was my diet bible for many years and now I've found it to be ineffective, although I still adhere to some food combining principles. Recently, after weeks of extremely sluggish bowels (only able to go if I use an enema) I've been juicing. It's difficult to sustain my discipline in the evenings so I've been allowing myself small like a piece of baked chicken or potatoes and zucchini, and I'm seeing results! I feel like the juicing isn't taxing my digestive system so the tissues can repair themselves. I also added miralax to the mix. A little nature and a little science...nice balance.
08-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #30
Sandy A

My Support Groups:
Livegreen, I'm a bit behind on my response (: Are you still doing well on your diet? Still working for me......I wondered if you have ever tried the omega swirl fish oil from barleans? It tastes like an orange cream smoothie and has borage oil and flax oil. I do that most of the time actually, but occasionally have fish or salmon or tuna. I really wish I could eat this way and be totally drug free though. When my crohns is not managed well with meds, I don't do well eating fiber and fruit and raw vegs, otherwise I can. I do have to be careful with fruit though.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Is being vegetarian possible?