• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Juicer recommendation for greens?

I would like to get my son a juicer so he can consume fruits and vegetables.
Since his Crohn's diagnosis in late May, he's beens staying away from fruits and veggies because he prefers them raw, (and his doctor told him not to eat them raw.)

He would like a juicer that can juice greens well and also apples, carrots and beets. Optimally, I'm looking for something that's compact, easy to clean and not too too expensive.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for a specific brand and model.

Thank you!

What is your budget?
If its around $100 then the Jack LaLane juicer is the way to go but also note that the cheaper juicers don't extract as much juice as the ones that cost more. So you might save money on the juicer but pay more in produce in the long run.

I have the Omega 8004(same as the 8006 but different color, and cheaper), bought it for $260 shipped as I read its the best for juicing greens. Its slow speed juicer unlike some others on the market. Slow speed will retain more of the nutrients. Plus it has a 15year warranty, I think thats the longest on the market right now. Only downside it has a smaller hole so for some wider fruits/veggies(like cucumbers, beets, apples) your going to have to chop it up so it fits the hole. Clean up is pretty simple.
Also its just not a juicer but also can do:
Baby Foods
Fruit Juicer
Frozen Dessert Maker
Grinding
Mincing/Chopping
Nut Butters
Pasta Extruder
Soy Milk Extruder
Vegetable Juicer
Wheat Grass Juicer

I've only used it as a juicer so cant comment how good its other functions are. Video of the juicer incase you were interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZLSPmKZchQ

Good luck with your search!

rygon

This is the juicer Ive got. A bit expensive but great product. As it rotates slower than centrifugal types it goesnt heat up and destroy as much of the healthy stuff in the fruit and veg.

As you can see by my pics do not juice oranges without peeling them 1st lol. I always make orange juice this way now as its really easy and you get loads of juice out of them.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=28345

Thank you bangarang and rygon.
I've test driven an Omega 8006 and liked it but it's pretty bulky and not sure about how it would work in a dorm room. The more compact ones seem to be centrifugal and I'm not sure if I can find one that works on greens.