• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Azathioprine

Hi all, I have just joined! So am new to this. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with chrones and have been on Azathioprine 2 years. I saw my consultant last Friday with my husband as now we want to try for a family next year. However after discussing our options my consultant gave me a few choices either to stay on Azathioprine, come off if completely or go to a differant medication like asacol. Anyway I want to be off medication completely whilst pregnant as concerned of the risks what with being on Azathioprine. Knowing my doctor has said there is no written threat with being on Azathioprine and being pregnant. But I just feel so confused, as obviously the risk involved of coming off medication completely can be the cause of a flare up!! Any suggestions or advised is very much welcome....even if you have maybe had a baby being on Azathioprine....a very confused lost wanting mum to be in the very near future.....help :( many thanks for taking the time to read my post Maria.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Maria and welcome :)

That's exciting that you're ready to have a family. We have a parenting forum located here with a great TTC (trying to conceive) thread that I suggest you read and ask questions in.

I think enteral nutrition to help ensure you're getting all the nutrients you and your baby need and maintain remission might be something interesting to research.

It's good to have you here and look forward to seeing you around the community :)

Hi Maria, I am new here myself. However I will tell you this in my experience pregnancy was the best thing for my crohn's. The entire time I was in remission. Med free and had a healthy baby. 4 years later even thou i had flare ups in between I was blessed with another baby also healthy. When you do become a mom enjoy it. crohn's seems to disappear when you are carrying????? At least for me it did. Good Luck, Theresa

Hi Teresa

Wow listening to your reply has really put a smile on my face. That's lovely news for you and to hear. I have been advised by my consultant that I'm in remission too. But just wairy of coming off the Azathioprine and then start getting flare ups!! Most defenatly not want to be taking tpsteriods whilst trying or pregnant. I suppose it's a just go for it but think I'm scared. X

Hi Teresa

Wow listening to your reply has really put a smile on my face. That's lovely news for you and to hear. I have been advised by my consultant that I'm in remission too. But just wairy of coming off the Azathioprine and then start getting flare ups!! Most defenatly not want to be taking tpsteriods whilst trying or pregnant. I suppose it's a just go for it but think I'm scared. X
Maria, I was sooo scared too!!Just keep a close watch and keep checking to see if you are pregnant. Meanwhile between your gyno and gastro Dr. request that they both consult to come up with alternatives for Azathioprone. Be persistant about the two speaking with a follow up phone call to see as to what they spoke about to put you at ease. Relax and let mother nature take its course. The worse thing to do is to try and have a baby under stress.Unlike me who seemed to get pregnant everytime my husband looked at me!!!You'll be in my thoughts. Keep me updated Theresa