• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohns diagnosis... Oh dear

Hi :)
I'm 18 and was diagnosed with Chronic Crohns disease around 4 months ago in march 2012 which took them months and they miss diagnosed me many times!, was admitted to hostpital 2 days after diagnose In which they tried to treat my flare up with steroids and other inflamation medication, nothing worked, around 2 weeks of being in hostpital went by and I woke up one morning in agony, fac was grey and I could not even touch my stomach at all! Turned out to
Be a bowel perforation on my large bowel, which they then took me to emergency surgery and removed my entire large bowel. I've now ended up with an illeostomie at 18 not happy at all! But my surgeon said I should be able to have the reversal 6 months after the Surgery date ! So fingers crossed!! It all happend a bit fast for me to understand it all fully! Just taking 2000mg of pentasa daily now. :) xxxx

PsychoJane

Hello and Welcome Rheann!
It must have been a shock to have all that happening that quickly. From your message it seems you are taking the situation quite positively (beside the bag, but keep in mind this is a normal reaction, it's normal to not be thrilled by the news when you have not seen it coming). Stay brave though =)!

By experience, having my colon removed (I also had an ileostomy soon after diagnosis (diagnosed in august, colon was out in november)) was probably the best thing that could have happened to me. The bag, even though not always pleasant, helps a lot to gain a quality of life that you can't have when you are dealing with crohn flare with all your anatomy!. Feel free to snoop around the stoma sub-forum. You will see that you are not alone and that there are quite a few young members that are sharing similar experience to yours. If you have worries, random questions, anything you may wonder about your stoma and any concerns you may have (things you believe you can't do because you have a stoma [trust me there are not a lot], well just ask it and we will be happy to help you!

Just to say :welcome:

Let us know how you are going and feel free to ask anything that you like. Nothing is off limits here.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Rheann and welcome! It's great to have you here :) I'm so sorry to hear of everything you've been going through though :( You poor thing!

Do you know if your Crohn's Disease was confined to your large intestine? Or is it also in your small intestine as well? If you're not sure, ask your doctors.

Again, welcome! We're here for you!

Hi Rheann and welcome! It's great to have you here :) I'm so sorry to hear of everything you've been going through though :( You poor thing!

Do you know if your Crohn's Disease was confined to your large intestine? Or is it also in your small intestine as well? If you're not sure, ask your doctors.

Again, welcome! We're here for you!

Hi, all i know is it was severe in my rectum and large intestine and i had no signs of crohns in my small intestines until yesterday, as i noticed dark red spot type things on my stoma, my doctor said it was the starts of another flare up already! and gave me some steroids, but im confused because i thought a flare up made you really un well? and i feel more or less fine the only symptom i have is the dark red spots? :)

hi Rheann!

It's not uncommon for someone beginning a flare to not always feel very unwell. A lot of times things on the inside start flaring before you ever really feel the effects. I hope they can get it under control quickly with the steroids and you can be back on your road to recovery!

Welcome to the forum!