• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone drank alcohol while on Purinethol?

Okay so I was just diagnosed with Crohn's in March 2012 when i was 17 first my doctor put me on a 8 pill of Prednisone + a lot of vitamins then i started on Purinethol and decreasing the dosage 1 pill a week of the Prednisone now i'm just on Purinethol and vitamins. I feel so much better now, before i was diagnosed i was in pain all the time i could hardly walk because of the joint pain I was tiered all the time couldn't concentrate and had horribly disgusting big red bumps on my legs, abdominal pain almost constant fever ans chills...ect not to mention i was basically in the bath room with horrible diarrhea ALL DAY! :mad: I lost about 25/30 pound's. but now that i'm on the medication i feel better then i ever have!...the only problem is that now i'm scared to feel like that again, i haven't been able to go out with my friends for so long because i was so sick and now most of them don't even talk to me any more.....but since I've been feeling better I've gone out reconnected with SOME old friends and made new friends and all i want to do is have fun with them!....i'm not the most out going person and i'm not gonna lie before i got sick i would drink alcohol all the time and loved it, it made me feel more out going and found it easier to socialize while drinking..i'm not saying i want to drink a lot like i did before knew i had crohn's but i few drinks to loosen up would be great once in a while (now feel like i can't do anything without worrying about crohn's)...anyways i'll stop going on and wining about my problems and get to my question.
Have any of you drank while on Purinethol!? if so what happened? and if not why not? I've heard that its bad to drink on it because it and cause liver damage, is that the only problem with it or is there more and how serious is the chance of liver damage if you only have lets say a few shots of vodka or rum a week? please and thanks

Angrybird

Hello Meranda and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I am also on Purinethol (aka 6-MP/mercaptopurine) and I was not specifically told by my nurseto avoid alcohol. It most probably would be ok to have 1/2 drinks very occasionally but not to do do it on a weekly/regular basis as even without the meds potentially causing problems regular drinking does nothing for the liver - I used to work in admin in a liver transplant unit so tend to be a bit cautious with stuff like this.

I am glad that the med is doing it's job and that you are feeling well :)

AB
xx

I have had the odd glass of wine but I have found I've gone right off alcohol since being on 6mp.

Oh I forgot I posted this , Thanks for replying but I have decided to stop drinking completely, you see I use to drink often before getting sick but now that I went through everything with the Crohn's I see my life differently and really see no place for alcohol in it anyways. :)