• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to the forum looking for advice

Hello my names Michaela. After a long battle and a change of paediatricians I fianlly got diagnosed with crohns disease. This was after years of battling with being a coeliac or suffering with crohns as my old paediatrician said I couldnt have both. I changed paediatrician and was quickly diagnosed with both, which was the cause of my first operation in 2009 during my GCSES what a nightmare. After my op things seemed ok, then came the battle of finding medication to keep me in remission. I have tried inflimab, azathriapine but reacted to both, leading to struggling to breath and pancretitis. I am now on methotrexate injections and also humira.

In january of this year I woke up one morning with serve tummy pains I sat it out but it contiuned to get worse I went into my mum around 6 by 11 i was taken into hospital via ambulance and had emergency surgery the next evening scar tissue from my last op was suffercating the bowel both ends, i had 2 hours before my bowel could have burst!

6 months later i am now suffering with extreme tummy pains, lose of blood and generally feeling exetremely tired and unwell. Reading up alot of people seem to have had b12 injections to this day i have not had one! Is this worth bringing up. Has anyone got any tips on how to lead a "normal" life. Ive even had to hand my notice in at work as working is not an option for me at the moment, yet i seem to have spent most of this year unwell!!

PLEASE HELP :)

Angrybird

Hello Michaela and welcome to the forum. Are you still on the mtx and humira? Being deficient in vitamins such as B12 can cause symptoms like fatigue and it is common for people with crohns especially if they have had surgery and had part of their bowel removed. This would not explain of course the pains and bleeding so have you been in contact with your GI regarding this? How long have you had these symptoms?

AB
xx

David

Co-Founder
Hi Mickey and welcome!

Yes, as AB said, definitely get your vitamin B12 levels tested! Folate and vitamin D as well. And frankly, any other vitamin and mineral tests that they're willing to give you.

You may also want to research enteral nutrition and see if it's something you'd be interested in as the benefits can be enormous.

It's good to have you here and we're happy to help any way we can.

hello AB yes am still on mtx and humira have been since 2009. ive been getting the symptoms for just over a month, although the pain and bleeding just short of 2 weeks. I keep researching b12 and it seems most people after a resection have b12 injections. I have had 2 resections, and always seem to be anaemic so am wondering if this could also be due to a lack of b12. Will certainly ask to have levels checked.
-michaela x