Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Tonantzin Matheus of Bradenton, Florida

Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
NameDr. Tonantzin Matheus
Address1505 Palm Bush Trail, Suite 200
 Bradenton, Florida, 34202
 United States
Websitehttp://www.fdhs.com
Phone941-361-1100
BioCertifications
ABIM Certified in Gastroenterology and Internal Medicine
Specialties
Colorectal Screening, Esophageal Disease, GERD/Dysphagia
University Awards/Societies/Research Programs
Universidad Central De Venezuela-Jose Maria Vargas Medical School. Caracas, Venezuela-1993-1999

Medical Society Memberships
ASGE, ACG, AGA

Additional Information
American College of Physicians-Member, American Medical Association-Member, American Gastroenterological Association-Member, American College of Gastroenterology-Member, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy-Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases-Member, Florida Gastroenterology Association-Member.

Personal Information
Dr. Matheus is married with 2 children. She speaks English and Spanish. Dr. Matheus enjoys playing tennis and running.
 View Directory Entry
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
ZM1019

I'm really impressed with Dr. Matheus. From my first visit she listened to everything I had to say then asked a lot of questions. She then explained exactly what she was going to do to find out what was wrong with me and why she was doing each step. She explained how these issues can be complex and one problem can lead to another so she had to figure out all of my issues then determine in which priority they needed to be treated based on severity and the way the issues interact. She told me if she did not do this, she could end up causing even more issues. She also asked for all of my previous tests and results, even though I had them done in Costa Rica. She said that she wanted them in English and Spanish because sometimes things get lost in translation. She told me this would tell her if things are better, the same or worse.

After all the testing, she spent one hour with me going over every result and what it meant. She talked to me about the diagnosis in very thorough detail. She went over the medication she prescribed and why she chose that particular medication (including going over all of my allergies and risk factors which she remembered). She told me how to take it and to call her if I had any problems with the medication (she then described the possible problems I could have). I had all of the possible medications printed off with possible side effects and she covered every single medication and side effect - when they were prescribed and for what they are prescribed. Then, even though she told me I didn't need them now, she talked to me about my risk factors for every one and how as a dr she would always go over the benefits and risks of any treatment and we would make the decision together.

She talked to me about the difference between my case (very early onset of mild Chrohn's at 52) compared to others (eg, onset in teens) and what that means as I'm reading things online and looking at the material she gave me. (That really helped!)

She told me how often I would need retesting, what type of testing and why I would need it. (She even talked about testing five years out!)

She went over diet, supplements, the other meds I take, exercise, and stress reducers (and how that may play into Crohn's triggers - or not).

She even talked to me about how she thinks this could have happened to me (gave me a couple of scenarios and said there could be more).

I really liked how thorough she was, how she explained everything, how much time she spent and how she answered all of my questions and concerns.

Rating:
5 / 5 Bedside Manner
5 / 5 Knowledgeable
4 / 5 Open to alternative treatments
5 / 5 Ease of accessibility

Crohn's Disease Forum » Doctor Reviews » Review of Dr. Tonantzin Matheus of Bradenton, Florida