• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Xantham Gum

my little penguin

Staff member
So I was trying gluten free for DS. :ybatty:
He tests IgE positive to all of the gluten items but tolerates them from a food allergy perspective so I thought it was worth a shot at trying to help his stomach pain.

Here is the thing. All of the gluten free food I have been feeding him has some amount of xantham gum in it.

Xantham gum according to WEbMd is a laxative and can be used by diabetic since it "puffs" out in the intestines and pushes stuff through not to be used in people with narrowing. :yfaint:

Nausea, vomiting, appendicitis, hard stools that are difficult to expel (fecal impaction), narrowing or blockage of the intestine, or undiagnosed stomach pain: Do not use xanthan gum if you have any of these conditions. It is a bulk-forming laxative that could be harmful in these situations.
http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-suppl...edientId=340&activeIngredientName=XANTHAN GUM

dosing was 15 mg/kg per day

so
at 28 kg weight it is a laxative dose at about 0.42 grams.

Don't get me wrong he needs a laxative (hence miralax) but this cause cramping etc... not good.:thumbdown:

One loaf of bread has about 6g grams so divide by 14 slices = 0.42 grams per slice or
0.857g for a single sandwich:eek:

this doesn't count if he eats any cookies or other gluten free things during the day.

So back to gluten for us since this is potentially more evil:shifty-t:

Has anyone else had any stomach cramping from xantham gum????