• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here

Hi there...after I quit smoking about 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with UC . I had trouble achieving complete remission but my symptoms were pretty mild (no pain just blood) so Asacol seemed to work for a while. I'm currently taking Rowasa and Asacol but started to flare and my doctor wants to go straight to Imuran. Is this normal to not even try Prednisone first? I find all of the treatments a little overwhelming and confusing. Any help would be appreciated.

David

Co-Founder
Ah, good ole garbage pail kids. Such fond members.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! :) It's great to have you here.

Interestingly, smoking has been shown to sometimes HELP Ulcerative Colitis. Did your UC symptoms come on after you quit?

What are your current symptoms?

Yes, many doctors will try to avoid giving Prednisone. Although since it can take a few months for Imuran to kick in, I'm wondering if they're planning to do anything to help bridge that gap?

We're happy to answer any specific questions you have.

Again, welcome!

Just curious, how does smoking help UC? But for crohns it isn't good, right? I thought I read that it can increase the chances of a flare? I don't smoke anymore, but was just interested to hear more about this. Thanks.

David

Co-Founder
It has indeed been shown to be quite bad for people with Crohn's Disease (and pretty much everyone else ;) ).

In Ulcerative Colitis, the mucus layer in the bowel is reduced or gone and they think that smoking may act to reverse that. Conversely, there's a buildup of that mucus in people with CD so smoking makes it worse. I'm sure there's other theories out there as they don't know for sure, but that is the one I'm familiar with.

I thought the user name was appropriate since I feel like one most of the time... I started having problems 3 months after I quit smoking. I started back up again for a couple of months after a year or so and all my symptoms went away. But within a week of stopping smoking again, all the badness came right back. Right now my symptoms are abdominal discomfort, urgency, interminant diarhea or bloody mucous. Not a whole lot of pain though. Smoking did help alot and I was wondering if marijuana would have the same effect.. I keep trying to find that discussion but I'm having trouble getting there.

David

Co-Founder
The medical marijuana discussion can be found here. It's under the Treatment forum. Medical marijuana can help but in a different way than nicotine.

Does a nicotine patch help your symptoms? I've read it does for some who don't want to smoke.