• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Left side pain?

I am writing in regards to my 15 year old daughter, we are trying to figure out what is going on with her. It started in March, an intense pain in her left side, not down low, it radiated through to her back. It has been constant since then, some days are better than others, she also has an intense pain occassionally right under her rib cage that almost makes her cry. She has been to the ER twice and the GI,(pediatric). They have done nothing, but run alot of test. She has had 5 blood test which show some inflammation. A CTscan that they said was normal and an xray too. They treated her for constipation and had her do a clean out,(she drank laxative all weekend and only liquids) which made her really sick. At this time we are waiting for a appointment for a colonoscopy and are also seeing a gynecologist to rule out an ovarian cyst. The will not give her any pain medicine since she is a minor (???) She is on thyroid medicine and has PCOS. If anyone has any suggestions please post. We are at our wits end.
Thanks, Wendy

awww i'm sorry to hear about your daughter.. i have similar pains on the left mostly and i do feel it on the right occasionally. it hurts when i apply pressure to the lower ribs. i have been running a fever this weekend so i am taking no chances and going to see my dr. i will let you know if i get anywhere.

chrissy

I'm so sorry for what your daughter is going through. I would suggest that you try to get her an appointment as soon as possible for a colonoscopy as biopsy results would be more conclusive than any blood or ct. As for the pain, personally I use heated pads or hot water pads and place them where the pain is, it helps soothe the pain enough for me to go to sleep.
I have left sided pain which led a lot of ER doctors to think I'm complaining from my left kidney till I clarify that its my colon, the colonoscopy should help you to eliminate possibilities. Keep us updated and good luck.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello and Welcome to the forum.
Sorry that your daughter is going through this traumatic process.
I have crohns, left side and it can be intensely painful.I use hot water bottles and heating pads which help and when really desperate find two regular strength tylenol helps, but I try not to have that too often because of other issues.
You should push for an early date for the colonoscopy, it will give answers.
I have had CAT scans which they say are negative but then they are looking for abscess and obstructions.
Colonoscopy is the goldstandard for IBD diagnosis.
Hope she will feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome!

I'm so sorry to hear what your daughter is going through :( I can't imagine how tough that must be for all of you :(

*hugs*

Did any of the tests they've performed come back abnormal?

You may want to check out our Parent's of Kids with IBD forum. At the very top of it is an, "Undiagnosed Kids" thread which you may want to check out.

All my best to all of you.