• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New and saying "hi"

Hi all, Wow...what a great forum! It is so nice to come to a place where everyone can talk and share information. No one I know has Crohn's so it was almost a relief to read about other people's experiences and understand how Crohn's is involved.

I just got diagnosed with Crohn's last week. It is in the cecum and rectum. I am scheduled to get a capsule endoscopy to see if it is in the small intestines too. I have had esophagitis and gastritis over the past few years, but learned to control that with diet. The reason I went back to the GI was because the esophagitis symptoms were coming back and also for the past three weeks I was sometimes (and sometimes more than not) only passing blood and mucous and no real stools. Plus all the aches and pains here and there all over the torso and a pain that seemed to go from my lower right side and down into my right leg. I was shocked to hear the biopsies were positive Crohn's. I am currently taking 1200mg of Asacol. It has helped the stools greatly and almost eliminated the blood and mucous. That is at least a good sign.

Unfortunately I am going out of the country for three weeks on vacation starting next week. The timing is ridiculous, but we have had these plans for a very long time. That means the capsule endoscopy will have to wait until I get back. I am going to search and possibly start a new thread for advice while on vacation.

Nice to meet everyone. :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome! Thanks for joining though I'm sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis :(

I'm glad your doctor is being thorough and utilizing a capsule endoscopy to see if you have any active disease in your small intestines.

You may want to check out our traveling with Crohn's Disease thread. It might be what you're looking for.

Again, welcome!

Awesome...that is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you for sending the vacation link. =) Thank you for the warm welcome too.

Hi there! Please look into the SCD diet, im trying to spread the word to all my fellow IBDers. Find out soon if you are one of those people that can obtain remission as long as you stay away from the bad foods like I did. I just obtained medication free remission after 11 years of Crohn's torture and surgeries including an ostomy. Food matters. It seems to be Gluten/Grains, sugars, and dairy that cause it for me anyways. Check it out if you like :) We will always have the disease but it seems we can manage it from ground zero ;) Time to stop feeding our bodies these bacteria feeding foods and get our lives back.
Check this link out, you dont need to buy the book the website tells you everything and there are tons of SCD recipe blogs.
http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm
So, welcome to the IBD club lol, sorry you are sick but glad you found the forum :)

When I get back from my vacation I will get involved with one of these diets, SCD, Paleo, etc. I want to research them all and understand them fully before I embark on anything. Thank you for the information, I had not heard of SCD. For years I have been on high protein, high fiber diet, so this low fiber, high carb thing is throwing me for a loop.

Wanted to welcome you to the forum! It's a great place to get advice and support from understanding, knowledgable people! I'm glad you have already gotten improvement with Asacol. May it keep on keeping on! :ghug:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I am pleased that the Asacol has improved things for you and that your doc has ordered a further test so everything can get checked - it is so refreshing when I hear of one who likes to cover all the bases.

I hope all goes well with your holiday.

AB
xx