• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Med Free Story

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share my med free story.

I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease a few years back and I was obviously very sick (I'm not going to go into how sick I was because i'm sure you can all imagine the nasty symptoms and stories as they are probably very similar to yours). I started taking the prescribed 'Crohns Disease' medication but not long into taking this medicine I wanted to search for alternative treatment as I did not want to be taking harsh drugs everyday for the rest of my life.

So after a lot of research I found out about the SCD Diet. Yes, a lot of people have mentioned this diet in this forum before.....please keep reading.........after I found out about the SCD Diet I found the GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Diet). It is very similar to the SCD Diet but i feel like it explains things in a lot more detail about 'how' it helps and 'why' it helps to follow this diet. It takes you through the steps a lot easier on how your body heals through changing your diet. It explains why you should eat certain foods and why you shouldn't eat certain foods. (again, in more detail than the SCD)

The book I recommend reading for the GAPS Diet is 'Gut and Psychology Syndrome' by Dr Natasha Campbell McBride.

Aswell as following the GAPS Diet I also found out about how good Coconuts are for Crohns Disease. The reason that coconut is so good is that it is gluten free, wheat free and dairy free (it is known to be hypoallergenic) which means that there is no known evidence of anyone being allergic to coconuts or unable to tolerate them. Coconuts have been used as a food and medicine for many many years from people all over the world. Virgin Coconut Oil in particular has played a major role in my med free way of life. It is very easy to digest and it has soothed and healed my tissue lining of my intestines.

I have been following the GAPS Diet and eating organic coconut products for the last 2 years and have not had any crohns disease symptoms at all and feel like I am almost 100% back to normal. I know that changing my diet has changed my life forever because I know how sick I was and how good my health is today. :)

Aswell as a change in diet I also changed jobs as I was very unhappy and stressed at work. I feel that this helped my health tremendously. I also make sure I get plenty of fresh air and vitamin D from the sun because I believe this also helps a great deal. Lastly, I decided to surround myself with only positive, supportive people instead of being around negative people.

I hope my story gives other people hope that if they want to try something different then there are definitely things you can try.

Take care everybody and I wish you all good health for your future :)

P.S Ginger and fish oil is very good for inflammation and I eat fresh ginger and fresh salmon at least once every week to two weeks.
When I was really sick I found freshly grated ginger in a cup of boiled water was a very soothing tea to drink.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found something to help you. I can't tolerate fish oil of any kind, but can drink coconut milk since dairy is out. I appreciate your sharing.

MedFree thats great! I am now med free thanks to SCD. Isnt this amazing how so many people are coming forward about how diet has changed their life? Super exciting. Obviously there is something in all this :) Loving life with no more prednisone. If the SCD ever fails for me I will move on to GAPS ;) This just might be the start of finding a real cure. obviously foods are what spark our disease, maybe that will help those scientists come closer to a real cure :) thanks for sharing your story!