• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

Hi all! I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1995 after going through bouts of diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue, and anemia for about a year. I had a long road learning to deal with this and finding out what works for me and what I need to do to stay on top of my care. I remember the Doctor who diagnosed me saying "We'll get you some medicine and get you better." If I knew then what I know now, I would have laughed in his face. If only there was a pill that would make it better!

After a few years, of less than stellar care I had a stricture that required surgery. The first resection gave me about 8 good years. However, in the last few years, I began have impaction issues due to more stricturing. I recently had my second resection surgery (fun!!) and am recovering from that. Until my surgery, I was on Humira once per week. I'll be restarting it in about 6 weeks. Hopefully, it will keep me in a good place for a long while.

For me the most frustrating aspect of this disease is the way everyone becomes an expert when it comes to whatever I'm eating, cause yanno forgoing a few potato chips will make the Crohn's go away :yrolleyes:

Anyway, looking forward to sharing and getting some support!

David

Co-Founder
Hi sagette and welcome! It's great to have you here :)

I'm glad you're doing well after your most recent resection and pray that it stays that way for a long, long time :)

Out of curiosity, do you know specifically what areas of your intestines you've had removed? Terminal ileum, ileocecal valve and cecum is the most common so I'm curious if that's what you had.

While not eating potato chips certainly isn't going to make your Crohn's go away, it might help a bit :) Don't hate me for saying that, but that link has some interesting information! :)

Again, it's great to have you here :)

Angrybird

Hello and :welcome: to the forum. Sorry to hear that you have had to have a second surgery but hope you are recovering well. I will keep fingers crossed that the Humira can keep things settled for you from now on.

AB
xx

I thought I would post here instead of starting a new thread. Since I posted this in 2012, I have really struggled to maintain my health. In addition to being hospitalized several times for Crohn's related abdominal pains and being on prednisone on and off, but pretty much on since 2014, I was also diagnosed with Crohn's related arthritis non RA and taken off Humira and put on Entyvio. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been and have difficulty mustering the energy to keep up with my running. I would like to be more active here to get support or even a kick in the pants when needed to get motivated to do better for myself.

I am sorry for all you have been through. Feel free to come here to share or to vent. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi all! I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1995 after going through bouts of diarrhea, weight loss, fatigue, and anemia for about a year. I had a long road learning to deal with this and finding out what works for me and what I need to do to stay on top of my care. I remember the Doctor who diagnosed me saying "We'll get you some medicine and get you better." If I knew then what I know now, I would have laughed in his face. If only there was a pill that would make it better!

After a few years, of less than stellar care I had a stricture that required surgery. The first resection gave me about 8 good years. However, in the last few years, I began have impaction issues due to more stricturing. I recently had my second resection surgery (fun!!) and am recovering from that. Until my surgery, I was on Humira once per week. I'll be restarting it in about 6 weeks. Hopefully, it will keep me in a good place for a long while.

For me the most frustrating aspect of this disease is the way everyone becomes an expert when it comes to whatever I'm eating, cause yanno forgoing a few potato chips will make the Crohn's go away :yrolleyes:

Anyway, looking forward to sharing and getting some support!
Welcome to the group. You said something about restarting Humira. Has the doctor talked about testing you for antibodies? Sometimes, but not always, that can present a problem when restarting the same biologic.

Welcome to the group. You said something about restarting Humira. Has the doctor talked about testing you for antibodies? Sometimes, but not always, that can present a problem when restarting the same biologic.

That was back in 2012. My surgeon had me stop a week before surgery and start it up maybe a week after, if I remember correctly. I was tested for antibodies in 2014 and there were none. That said, Humira wasn't controlling my symptoms by that time anyway and with the Crohn's related arthritis in the mix, the Rheumatologist felt a switch would be better.